WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’m new here and don’t know a whole lot about watches. I’m looking for recommendations for a rugged, but still classy watch. My criteria are, stainless steel case and bracelet, sapphire crystal, tritium lume, basic analog display, don’t need Chrono or movable bezel or anything like that, date feature would be nice though. I need something that is proven to hold up. I’m currently in the military, but will soon be getting out and going back to construction. I’ve had an Apple Watch for about a year and I haven’t really hurt it at all, but it does have a couple scratches, and I’m planning to sell or trade it before going back to construction. I’m currently looking into Traser, Nite, or Marathon, but I don’t really want to spend more than $200-$250. I know that’s not really realistic, but I am very much ok with used. I also have a like new Citizen Eco-Drive with titanium bracelet to trade if any of you have what I’m looking for...
Let me know if you have any suggestions on specific models :)
Thanks
Nate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
187 Posts
For that price point, I would recommend a Seiko SKX007 (black) or SKX009 (blue&red) on their standard issue Jubilee bracelet. It's a dive watch with a rotating bezel, but they are tough as nails and look classy to me. You can pick one up new on Amazon for about $200. They have Seiko's "Hardlex" crystal, which is pretty tough. A sapphire crystal is sort of tough to get at that price point.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For that price point, I would recommend a Seiko SKX007 (black) or SKX009 (blue&red) on their standard issue Jubilee bracelet. It's a dive watch with a rotating bezel, but they are tough as nails and look classy to me. You can pick one up new on Amazon for about $200. They have Seiko's "Hardlex" crystal, which is pretty tough. A sapphire crystal is sort of tough to get at that price point.
I’ve actually been considering a Seiko, how exactly does there lume work? I’ve heard it will last all night but need to be charged up first?

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
You want a Marathon Navigator, tritium tubes guarantee all night lume and likely right within your price point. It does have a 12 hour bezel and I'm not sure about the "classy" side if equation. Sapphire is not much of an option at your price point.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Also, how would a Seiko 5 compare to the SKX007 as far as durability?

Seiko 5 is another good option and they are tough enough as well. You may also want to consider Orient and Casio as they have nice dive watches comparable to the Seiko SKX. BTW, I'm not sure if you mean by "classy" more of a dressier piece?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Also, not sure if you want an automatic (automatic winding) or a hand winding movement would suffice. The Seiko is an automatic (though not "hacking" i.e., can't stop the seconds hand when setting the time). I believe the Hamilton Khaki suggest above, albeit having a sapphire crystal, does not have an automatic movement nor a bracelet in your price point.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seiko 5 is another good option and they are tough enough as well. You may also want to consider Orient and Casio as they have nice dive watches comparable to the Seiko SKX. BTW, I'm not sure if you mean by "classy" more of a dressier piece?
Do you happen to know if the Seiko 5 features the lumibrite as well? Nighttime visibility is very important to me. By classy, I basically just mean something clean and basic looking, not a G shock. I read quite a few threads where someone asked for durable watch recommendations and G shock was the most recommended. I know they are good and I own one, but that’s not what I’m looking for.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Also, how would a Seiko 5 compare to the SKX007 as far as durability?

A Seiko 5 can be very similar in durability depending on the model. The archilles heel of any automatic mechanical watch is the movement, you should try avoid dropping it too often on a concrete floor for instance. The SKX and most entry level Seiko 5 share a very similar movement, the Seiko 7s26. The difference is the SKX is rated for 200m WR and is certified for scuba diving while the Seiko 5 range is not but most will have 100m WR which is good enough for just about everything else.

60001.jpg

If you're on a tight budget, like the diver look, and want automatic, check out the Seiko SNZF17 or similar. If you need it tougher, get something equivalent with a quartz movement or a resin cased (helps cushion shocks) digital with no internal moving parts.

And yes it will have Lumibrite too. Seiko is well known for having some of the best lume in the business.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Do you happen to know if the Seiko 5 features the lumibrite as well? Nighttime visibility is very important to me. By classy, I basically just mean something clean and basic looking, not a G shock. I read quite a few threads where someone asked for durable watch recommendations and G shock was the most recommended. I know they are good and I own one, but that’s not what I’m looking for.

Yes, I believe Seiko 5s also use LumiBrite. I sometimes wear my SKX during the night and I can read the lume throughout the night without giving it a charge. But, if that is your number one criteria, then probably tritium tubes are better...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I expanded my budget to $400, what would be your recommendations for something extremely durable with tritium and sapphire crystal?

·
Registered
12,449 Posts
Seiko SKX007:

It does not have a Sapphire Crystal, though.

Reactions: irprof

·
Registered
187 Posts
If I expanded my budget to $400, what would be your recommendations for something extremely durable with tritium and sapphire crystal?

I would then probably look into the Marathon range - they have tritium and sapphire for that price point, but they are more military-esque in appearance.

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
Correct, it has neither.

Also, not sure if you want an automatic (automatic winding) or a hand winding movement would suffice. The Seiko is an automatic (though not "hacking" i.e., can't stop the seconds hand when setting the time). I believe the Hamilton Khaki suggest above, albeit having a sapphire crystal, does not have an automatic movement nor a bracelet in your price point.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Get a Citizen Promaster Land. The older models without perpetual calendar or radio control are less than $200. The newer ones go for @ $400. In Japan, there is available a Mont-bell limited edition at @ $300.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts