WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am a newbie when it comes to watches and have only started reading about watch specs and so on. All the watches I had were cheap/functional ones but I am really interested in getting my first "high-end/luxury" watch. However, I have only started work and cannot afford the Pateks/Breitlings, was wondering if the watch experts here could give me recommendations of really good swiss made automatic watches (36-40mm) up to £500 (~USD$800)?

I have read up on swiss movements, sapphire covers, automatic/quartz, jewels and there are so many choices! Looked at the hamilton khaki field/king and tissot visodate and found them really beautiful, but maybe the experts here would have a better recommendation :)
Looking for a watch that already comes with a leather strap (so i don't have to buy a separate strap) and is good to go for work and business (so maybe not the more sporty watches;-))

Looking forward to hearing your answers, thank you!

L

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Tissot, Hamilton, Victorinox, Wenger, Hanowa, Steinhart, Chr.Ward and many more!

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
You are going in the correct direction. You may want to spend some time in the affordables sub-forum since it is directed at exactly what you are looking for. You may want to expand your search at that price point into Japanese movements like the Miyota 9105 since the ETA crackdown makes the budget Swiss movements much more expensive compared to a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
The Swiss made Rotary watches are a lot nicer than Tissot in my opinion. I compared mine side-by-side with a Tissot Le Locle when I purchased it and the guilloché on my Rotary is leagues in front. Plus the case finishing just looks sharper and more defined.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the informative posts! Any specific watch models I should look at up to £500 (~USD800)?

1. swiss made movement
2. automatic
3. 36-40mm
4. sapphire crystal (are all high end covers made with sapphire crystal)
5. leather strap (without the need to buy an extra strap)
6. suitable for work/business or if possible, even business formal

ilitig8, good to know im going in the right direction, thanks! yeah the japanese movements are definitely more affordable, but I think I prefer the swiss ones haha, i think at my budget i should be able to land some of those (like the hamilton khaki field 38mm)!

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you're absolutely set on Swiss made, then I'd get a Hamilton Viewmatic. That was my first "real" watch, and it was a good reliable watch that worked with everything from business casual through full professional.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Mondaine Automatic (for something a little different):
mondaine-evo-automatic-a1323030311sbb-large.jpg

i have the retro automatic and I like it quite a bit... Swiss automatic, keeps great time (about +6 secs a day, sometimes better), 100 meters water resistance, 42 mm (but wears a little larger due to the lugs, the other automatic is smaller), has some heft to it, love the minimalist look- and got it for around/under $400 (although it retails from anywhere up to +$700):

a review of the watch: Trainspotting: Hands On With The Mondaine Retro Automatic Watch | TechCrunch

WUS member review:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f67/mondaine-retro-automatic-a132-30345-11sbb-1058912.html

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I like the new Victorinox Alliance:

vsa alliance.jpg

A great combination of dressy and sporty, in my opinion. I'd have a look at Mido Multifort and Archimede Klassik, too:

mido.jpg archimede2.jpg

The movements and overall quality will be similar among the brands in your price range. It will come down to the aesthetic you prefer.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Stretch the budget 50 pounds and you get this with a top grade ETA2824, Stowa Marine. I have a flieger from Stowa and I think its a great watch; looks authentic to the WW2 german pilots watch, the blued hands are just awesome looking from an angle, keeps great time and can be given a personal touch via engraving the rotor or gears.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,618 Posts
Here's what I got when pretty much in your exact situation, and what I seem to always be posting in these threads. Epos Emotion 3390 - blued numerals and hands, nicely decorated ETA 2892-A2 movement, guilloche dial, and some nice case details including screwed lugs. You might be able to get it near the top of your price range.

1617478d1409535687-dress-watch-someone-who-doesnt-like-dress-watches-1573193d1406170528-buying-m.jpg

Reactions: joepac and Dan-W

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
Thanks guys for the informative posts! Any specific watch models I should look at up to £500 (~USD800)?

1. swiss made movement
2. automatic
3. 36-40mm
4. sapphire crystal (are all high end covers made with sapphire crystal)
5. leather strap (without the need to buy an extra strap)
6. suitable for work/business or if possible, even business formal

ilitig8, good to know im going in the right direction, thanks! yeah the japanese movements are definitely more affordable, but I think I prefer the swiss ones haha, i think at my budget i should be able to land some of those (like the hamilton khaki field 38mm)!
A few suggestions
1a. inline with your all your requirements and well below $800: Steinhart Marine 38

1b. inline with your all your requirements and well below $800: Archimede Pilot 39 Automatik. Reportedly very good for the price. In any case the classic pilot style is very universal, it can look sporty, everyday, and also look good on a suit.

2. Inline with most of your requirements, except that this is a very special Japanese model, a cult watch: Seiko SARB017 Alpinist:

3. Inline with most of your requirements, except that it unfortunately stretches your budget to $1200 or so. Damasko DA36 and DA37. Seriously good universal watches, worth researching and worth saving up for:

·
Sponsor
13,156 Posts
Victorinox Officer's Mechanical can be had new from the grey market for $400. Excellent design, great build quality. Display caseback. Major plus if you were into SAKs when you were little.

For $800 you could buy a vintage Omega Seamaster

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Take a serious look at Epos, Christopher Ward, too bad you dislike Seiko,SARB 017(Alpinist) is one fantastic watch, no I don't own
any Seiko.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts