WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an automatic dress watch in the $500 to $1000 range but am a total novice to watches other than a dozen or so Gruens, Hamiltons, and an Omega inherited from the maternal grandfather. I tend to like watches about 34mm to 40mm at the absolute most, 36mm to 38mm prove the best. I like Hamilton and Longines. Anyone willing to offer a novice advice?

·
Premium Member
73,611 Posts
Have a look at the SARB033/035 watches. They're at the lower end of your price range but IMHO are well worth looking at.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

I post this one because you said automatic, but I'd prefer the Antea KS, which is manual wind.

Reactions: Surfrider

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
View attachment 1612069

I post this one because you said automatic, but I'd prefer the Antea KS, which is manual wind.
I was thinking the same exact thing, but yes, I'd go for the Antea KS instead, too. It's not very dressy as is, but on a croc, gator, or lizard skin strap, it would work as a dress watch.

Otherwise, I suggest Frederique Constant. Or a Seiko SARB 033 or 035 on leather.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Junghans Max Bill. Super classy.

Melbourne Flinders

Reactions: akasnowmaaan

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
1k and slightly above gets you some very nice Longines dress watches and in the size range you are looking for. Hamitlon and Tissot tend to make larger, thicker watches, dont quite have the class of the Longines IMHO.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Black Fashion accessory

If

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Hamiltons are plenty. How about an Accutron Amerigo? Or a Revue Thommen Wallstreet? The Accutron is about 41mm and the Revue Thommen is under that and both are Swiss automatics.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap Watch Analog watch Strap Watch accessory Fashion accessory

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Are you sure there isn't a Gruen, Hamilton, or Omega in your inheritance that wouldn't be perfect for the job after a good service?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tissot Visodate, Hamilton, Oris, Raymond Weil, Frederique Constant.

Those should keep you busy. Take a look and see what you like in those. Then buy the Visodate. :)
Ironic you should say that. I own the Visodate below and am about to give it to an acquaintance as a gift. He says he wants a manual wind watch.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
As always, my standard reply to this question - go for a vintage Longines or a Swiss Made Rotary (if the Rotary doesn't explicitly state "Swiss Made" on the dial, then it's not).

·
Premium Member
9,055 Posts
That Ebel posted earlier is awesome! But I'll recommend Epos!

Many of their dress watches are on the larger side (40-43 mm). But one great one in your price range (and one I'll probably own at some point) is the Epos Originale 3408. Very thin, hand wind, 39 mm case, and available in steel or gold plated with white, black, or blue face. Especially nice in blue :

Watch Analog watch Fashion accessory Strap Watch accessory

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Junghans max bill. Perfect dress watch under 1k.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

Reactions: sduford

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are you sure there isn't a Gruen, Hamilton, or Omega in your inheritance that wouldn't be perfect for the job after a good service?
Here are some decent watches and the Gruens as well. The Gruens tend to be the very average or even lower quality ones I didn't photograph. The first photo shows a Raymond Weil 5405, a Hamilton "Men in Black" watch, and a Hamilton Parker B watch.
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
The next photo has an Eterna Matic Centenaire gold watch, an Omega Constellation, and an Elgin that looks decent.
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory
The last photograph shows some of the better looking Gruens. None of them appear anything more than average. A few not in the photos were everyday wear Gruens.
Analog watch Watch accessory Watch Strap Fashion accessory
The photographs are terrible but the flash stopped working on the camera. I have several Seiko and Citizen Mickey Mouse collection quartz watches along with a few other quartz like a Skagen, Eco-Drive, etc. Pappy considered those watches "without soul."

1 - 20 of 31 Posts