WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've become interested in high accuracy quartz watches recently. I am looking to buy an inexpensive high accuracy quartz to add to my collection.

Wondering what you all thought of these Bulova:

8161h79RXRL._UY500_.jpg

81-0PwfigeL._UY500_.jpg

I'm tending towards the grey dial one with leather strap. Would be grateful for any other suggestions in the same price range.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
You could look at the Certina models. If possible I would save for a Grand Seiko or a Citizen.
I second what Ron said, in particular Certina. I have a DS-2 and a DS-8. Love them both.

The downside, if you're a US/Canadian customer, is they're not easy to find (nearly impossible actually) from a local AD. Certina has no US dealers outside of a couple of Swatch boutiques, one in NYC, one in Las Vegas. The easier route with them is via the gray market if you want to buy from a US-based dealer. There is a respected Spanish AD that ships to the US, I've bought from him twice and he's great to deal with. PM me if you want more details. Since I bought from an AD my two Certinas have US warranty coverage, they can be serviced by the US Swatch repair centers. Luckily, both watches have been trouble free (so far).

Some have had decent experience with Bulova's high freq. quartz movements, some not so much, regarding accuracy. From what I can tell (anecdotal, mind you) the newer 262kHz movements seem to be more accurate than the earlier (1st gen?) 262kHz Precisionist movements. The big advantage to buying a Bulova in the US/Canadian market is a large distribution network of ADs. Bulovas are easy to find (but the ones you show aren't so much, at least in my area).

My only advice: buy what 'speaks' to you. I've seen some HAQ watches that I don't care if they're as accurate as an atomic clock, I wouldn't wear them if you paid me (too freakin' ugly). If the Bulova suits your needs and had the look you want, then go for it. My only request is if you do buy one, please post pictures. I've been interested in the Bulova you're considering on the leather strap, but the blue/rose gold version.

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts
I wouldn't go all the way to a GS or The Citizen; that's $2000 range.

I'm sure there are many Bulova models; heck, I think there are like 3 separate *lines* that are HA. There's some concern, I believe, about how well they'll maintain their HA-level rate...but by the same token, would it be fine with you if it was running at, say, 30 SPY (instead of 10) in 10 or 15 years' time? Many of us who are regulars here, are *extreme* sticklers; some are a bit more practical.

Others...and I think these are in increasing order of street price:

Certina DS-2 and Tissot PR100 COSC quartz are both ETA TC movements
Seiko Dolce SACM 150, 154, 171
Citizen Exceed AR4000, 4001, and 4002...a bit more expensive, but also the only solar models at this level. My AR4002 got into El Paso this morning. :) But it's a bit over $600, so I suspect that's a bit more than you were considering. However, I dislike changing batteries, so the options become limited.

Link to a Tissot on Amazon. Note, this may NOT be the best price out there, but it should give a pretty good idea of street price:
https://www.amazon.com/Tissot-Black..._UL250_SR145,250_&refRID=YHZS2NMSCX06EJN7CN2Y

The Citizen and Seiko models are JDM only; the AR4002 was literally just released, last Friday, so it's a bit trickier to find. (I found it on eBay.) The AR4000-55E is probably the easiest to find, but that's relative. The Seikos are easy; Amazon has them. The Certina and Tissot can probably be found through most of the big gray market sellers.

Secondary point...

Maybe it's the pic, but I don't like the silver dial on that Bulova...that's something you can't change. I don't much like the bracelet on the Bulova or the Tissot I link to...but that *can* be changed, and rather easily. I'd be pretty happy if the companies offered a no-strap, no-bracelet, head-only option, most of the time. Then just go find whatever style you like.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Are you after accuracy or style? If you just want accuracy all you need is a Casio G-Shock solar powered six band "atomic" digital. It will attempt to sync with the radio tower in Colorado Springs every night. Mine syncs about three-four times a week. It's the most accurate watch I own.

Casio GWM-5610

I paid $88.00 for mine. It looks like a cheapo digital, unless you know what it does. It is one of the watches I will never part with.

ETA: This is the watch I use to set the correct time on all my other watches.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Are you after accuracy or style? If you just want accuracy all you need is a Casio G-Shock solar powered six band "atomic" digital. It will attempt to sync with the radio tower in Colorado Springs every night. Mine syncs about three-four times a week. It's the most accurate watch I own.

Casio GWM-5610

I paid $88.00 for mine. It looks like a cheapo digital, unless you know what it does. It is one of the watches I will never part with.

I'll jump on this before the other regulars do: it's not HAQ. :) There, I said it first!!

In all seriousness, I was going to suggest Citizen RC watches but decided against it since the original poster specifically said HAQ and those Citizens aren't HAQ. I have one of those (Citizen RC), it's always dead on since it syncs to the WWVB signal every night. But, what the original poster shows are dressy looking, understated 3 handers. My Citizen AT4008 isn't understated like that nor is the Casio.

Gangrel mentions Tissot, I completely forgot about their HAQ line. Great suggestion, and for US/Canadian customers a whole lot easier to find than anything from Certina.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I live in UK. I really like the Certina DS-2 Precidrive range. Funnily, I only bought a Certina DS Action Driver Automatic 2 weeks ago and I've been really impressed with it. Buying Certina is very easy in the UK as its easily available compared to North America.

Anyway, this is the model I'm interested in:

product-7b20aa2d6eee2309feea5c413b90106f.jpg

What do you guys think?

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Seiko and Citizen are both OK but at least the Seikos are very costly.

The Bulovas you linked are both attractive; I'd prefer light face on a bracelet personally.

If you want to go vintage you might consider the Longines Conquest VHP from the 80s (I'm basing this on looks alone; I liked them).

The Certina is nice and that's the overall "look" I'd like if I were to select a watch from Bulova as you initially suggested -- lighter dial, bracelet.

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts
Yes, if you want to go with both, then I'd personally go with different dial colors at least, and preferably a little different look. I'd say the Bulova and Certina are too similar, for example, and I'd rather go Bulova and Tissot, for contrast both visually, and in their approaches to accuracy.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

Casio GWM-5610

I have a six-band G-Shock (GW-5000 1JF) and it's one of my least accurate watches simply because it currently resides on the very fringes of a radio reception area and almost never picks up a signal. The RC Citizen that I keep in the UK, however, does manage to sync daily, so it can work out ok. It's worth repeating, however, that even the daily-synching RC Citizen isn't my most accurate watch as it's lost as much time by the end of each day as one of my better-performing watches will have lost in a couple of months.

Point is, the OP would need to be sure of RC reception, first, and understand that he isn't getting a proper HAQ if he is to consider going the RC route.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I would lean towards either the Certina or the Tissot for a first HAQ, simply because each if these could be sent back for regulation if it should drift off-spec. The Bulovas cannot be adjusted, even back at the factory.

That said, I also agree with the entry-level Seiko and Citizen suggestions, which can also be sent back (albeit requiring a more lengthy trip to Japan).

A vintage HAQ such as Citizen's EBJ74 or Longines' VHP (with perpetual calendar) can be a great choice, but would require a bit of research to avoid getting a lemon.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I have a six-band G-Shock (GW-5000 1JF) and it's one of my least accurate watches simply because it currently resides on the very fringes of a radio reception area and almost never picks up a signal. The RC Citizen that I keep in the UK, however, does manage to sync daily, so it can work out ok. It's worth repeating, however, that even the daily-synching RC Citizen isn't my most accurate watch as it's lost as much time by the end of each day as one of my better-performing watches will have lost in a couple of months.

Point is, the OP would need to be sure of RC reception, first, and understand that he isn't getting a proper HAQ if he is to consider going the RC route.
I find that the best way to pick up the signal is to wear it at night. It uses my body as an antenna and picks up the signal between 12am and 5am. It always works when I wear it, but not when I leave it on the shelf.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I live in UK. I really like the Certina DS-2 Precidrive range. Funnily, I only bought a Certina DS Action Driver Automatic 2 weeks ago and I've been really impressed with it. Buying Certina is very easy in the UK as its easily available compared to North America.

Anyway, this is the model I'm interested in:

View attachment 8442906

What do you guys think?
I got the precidrive aqua diver, really nice watch however I think it isn't a accurate as what they claim to be however still good.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts