WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I know there are a few people from the good ole' USA on this forum... I'm heading over in a couple of weeks with the family and I want to try and check out some reputable secondhand dealers or vintage stores while I'm there. I'll be in San Francisco, New Orleans, New York and Los Angeles. I'm be on the look out for Omega's, Rolex's and of course PAM's!!!

Also any must visit places to sample the local fair!

I'm not a newbie to the U.S. as I have been numerous times, plus my sister and a quite a few high school friends live there (I'm a former expat kid), but I don't think they have the same appreciation that I have for fine timepieces. So looking for your local expertise.

Any recommendations or advice is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Chet

·
Premium Member
14,493 Posts
Interested to see how this thread goes. I am in the US, but there are not good watch shop options in my area, and I travel to the places you are visiting regularly. Great thread!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No recommendations at all?

Even for food???

Not having a go - just thought some people out here would want to promote their local areas.

·
Premium Member
14,493 Posts
Hit the tourist areas. The Wharf area in San Francisco (I enjoyed the seafood at Alioto's), The French Quarter in New Orleans (Cafe Du Monde), but make sure you also get some real cajun food somewhere.... in LA there are many options including Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, Venice Beach, etc....New York is an attraction in itself lol, see as much as you can, enjoy a wide variety of food

Depending on when you will be where, you may be able to catch some baseball games. San Francisco, LA, and New York all have major league baseball teams (some have more than one lol). A major league baseball game is a great experience if you can swing it.

You may also be able to enjoy an MLS soccer game, also a good time, and tickets may be more affordable than baseball

All of those cities have great museums, zoos, aquariums, etc....

If you want to venture a bit farther, Napa valley is about an hour or slightly more from San Francisco

·
Registered
70 Posts
Panerai NYC is on Madison Avenue between 54th and 55th on the east side.
Madison Ave has a ton of watch shops right in that area so you can check out some pretty nice selections around there.

·
4,076 Posts
The "diamond district" in NYC will have lots of private jewelers that should offer 2nd-hand timepieces.

I have no idea about LA, New Orleans or San Fran. Sorry.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Central Watch. Grand Central Station. New York City. A bit difficult to find (I often feel like they are guarding some kind of magic portal deep in the bowels of New York) but beautiful pieces.

"He's just a witness"

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mediocre, Trailboss, Handwound and Drop of Hat.

I'll definitely be doing the tourist thing in SF, NY and NO. Looking forward to see what they have to offer.

Saw a video about Central Watch on Hodinkee - will definitely check it out. Will also check out the diamond district. I'll have to try to squeeze it into the kid friendly stuff we'll be doing, or else I'll get the inevitable "not another watch shop dad!" from my 10 year old.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Thanks Mediocre, Trailboss, Handwound and Drop of Hat.

I'll definitely be doing the tourist thing in SF, NY and NO. Looking forward to see what they have to offer.

Saw a video about Central Watch on Hodinkee - will definitely check it out. Will also check out the diamond district. I'll have to try to squeeze it into the kid friendly stuff we'll be doing, or else I'll get the inevitable "not another watch shop dad!" from my 10 year old.

Thanks again!
The whispering wall at Grand Central Station is a place where I've seen the happiest of children.

"He's just a witness"

·
Registered
70 Posts
You're welcome!
If you want pizza recommendations, it's fairly safe to try just about anything. Some restaurants that I do recommend in Manhattan are:

Gotham Bar & Grill (downtown, a very famous place)
Union Square Cafe (near Union Square, down around 14th street-ish? Another very famous NYC staple)
Novita (small, romantic Italian place around 22nd & Park Ave. Not as well known, but excellent pasta. Intimate setting with not a lot of seats. It does very well for itself and isn't in touristy Little Italy. Quiet Location.)
Ilili (yes that is not a typo. medeterranian (spelling > me) fusion food. It's in midtown I believe)

Those 4 will give you good variety and excellent dining experiences.
Google them for websites ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts