WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Recommendations on an Eco-drive Diver with some colour

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  LioMon 
#1 ·
Hello Everybody,
I am looking for some recommendations.
Used wear an Omega Seamaster Professional 300M from the old early 2000's in blue with the wave dial pattern.
Then I switched to Seikos.
I cycled throught the Seiko Orange Monster, Blue Sumo, Sarb033, Alpinist Green and now the SKX011 and SKX009.
I really like the SKX011 and SKX009, but I would like something with Eco-drive technology so I don't have to fiddle with the battery or reset the time so often.

I just put an order through for the Citizen BN0151-09L which looks like a good everyday wear watch. I've seen the black one many times in stores, but I prefer the blue and will probably get the matching bracelet from Citizen directly.
Thing is I prefer something with more colour, I really like the SKX011 and the SKX009, but I don't like resetting the time often. I usually set it 5 minutes early and eventually reset when it becomes 5 minutes late.

Is there something similar in Citizen's Range of Eco-Drive Promaster style?

I have seen the
ca0715-03e and also the orange version which seem attractive, but the measurements seem kind of large at 46mm. I have about a 6.25" to 6.5" wrist.
I am considering the NY0099-81X or even the previous years Pepsi coloured version for more colour. Again these are automatics, and they use the Miyota 8203 which is non hacking. I prefer something hacking, but I am used to the &s26 in the SKX models and the Green Seiko SUMO price seems steep and it's larger on my wrist and tends to overhang on the sides.
I also like the look of the new "SKX" supposed replacement SRPD63K . Those are both automatics though.

I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thank you so much.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not a Citizen, or solar quartz, but have you seen the Islander watches from Long Island Watch? They're essentially SKX clones with upgrades (hacking and hand winding movement, sapphire crystals) and there's some nice colors available. They also will fit any aftermarket SKX pieces, so the possibilities are endless.

As for Citizen, they don't really do a lot of colors generally speaking. There's the Aqualand models, and the new Promaster GMT, and the Sailhouse, but they're ginormous.

This is probably the most reasonably sized colorful diver, the BN0191 EDIT TO ADD actually it's listed as 45mm which is pretty big too...
https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/product/BN0191-55L.html?cgid=promaster

#3 · (Edited)
Not a Citizen, or solar quartz, but have you seen the Islander watches from Long Island Watch? They're essentially SKX clones with upgrades (hacking and hand winding movement, sapphire crystals) and there's some nice colors available. They also will fit any aftermarket SKX pieces, so the possibilities are endless.
This is good news and bad news. More watches to add to a list. It all started justifying to myself that I did not have an Eco-drive diver in my collection that could keep good time and not run out of power if I put it down for a day or two. Now there are even more choices, but maybe I can consider the Pepsi coloured IKX (Island watch KX)? watch instead of the NY0086. However I'm still itching for the Citizen Fugu NY0099-81x

Have you had any experience with the Islander watches? How is the fit and finish? A smoother screw in crown? Proper alignment of markers and indices?

Any idea when they introduced them?
I remember a while back there was a guy who was making and selling something similar maybe with more customization, but the wait time was long and it was quite expensive. Especially when the SKX and Monsters where readily available and cheap in comparison.
I got my SKX's in early 2018, I don't recall seeing the islander watches then, or I was too much of a Seiko Snob still.

As for Citizen, they don't really do a lot of colors generally speaking. There's the Aqualand models, and the new Promaster GMT, and the Sailhouse, but they're ginormous.
That's the part I am afraid of. Even the Seiko Sumo started to look like a bit of a pancake on my wrist.
I like the model you posted, but would opt for the chronograph version in either green or orange. I haven't seen very many posts or reviews about it so I am concerned that it might disappoint in person...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
That the sort of thing you're after?

View attachment 14811441
I like the look of it, but I think it might be too big for me. There's also the same watch with a pepsi bezel and blue dial which looks quite nice. I am leaning towards the Citizen Fugu NY009 series, but they aren't Eco drive, they are automatic, robust but non hacking at that price...

#7 ·
There is that or the Blue angels chronograph as well. I think there was a black and red variation of it before as well... it'a nice but again a little larger and busy for me. There is a promaster chronograph with either Blue, Green or Orange bezel as well but diameter is 46mm...

#11 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, yeah it would be good to see these in person. For instance these Promasters are looking nice, but I’m not sure how they would look in person.

The CA0718-21E orange and the CA0715-03E in green. I like bracelets so I contacted Citizen directly but they didn’t get back to me with that information yet. The CA0719-53E has a bracelet which I am wondering is interchangeable. I couldn’t find any information about it though.

#12 ·
If "just" a colored dial if fine with you, the JDM AS7145-69L looks nice:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product

Titanium but might be on the bigger side (price-wise it's also similar to the green Sumo you mentionned).
Radio control appears to be JJY-only so you would need to use an emulator on your phone if you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.