WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm looking for a Military style watch as my next purchase to replace my current Tissot as a daily wear and also something I can use when hiking, swimming, snorkelling, shooting etc. I want something that is fairly tough and wears well, I also want it to be completely analogue (just a preference). I don't really need the chrono functions but a day / date would be handy (date is a must).

I've got my eye on a SMW Black Diver Titan 300m with NATO strap, but finding one in Australia is proving difficult, although easy enough to get from the EU.

I've also looked at the Marathon GSAR as well, and have seen a few threads on here about them and noticed that they get bought and sold quite often, so a second hand one might be possible :)

I've got a budget of around $500 - $600 AUD to play with, more and my wife will get cranky, although I may be able to stretch it for the right watch.

I'm not to fussed on it being battery or automatic, I would prefer a swiss made time piece if possible, and would like it to be black faced, preferably with a black case and have H3 tubes. Ideally I'd like to see a secondary inner 24h numbering on it, although that is not essential :)

Thanks for looking and thanks in advance for any recommendations and links of where to find them.

Brett

·
Registered
296 Posts
Have you looked at the Nite brand? I have owned an MX10 and it was an excellent watch. Very rugged and a great time keeper. This is the MX10 "blackout" model, though they do have several variants of it...
Watch Analog watch Black Watch accessory Strap

If my calculations are correct, this should be under $400 USD. They are sold from the UK at Military, Adventure & Sports Watches | Nite Watches and I have seen several on WUS. Also, from your description, pretty much any of the Luminox stuff that's under $500 would fit your requirements. Perhaps the 8400 series Luminox?

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Attachments

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
If you don't mind not having a Tritium vial on the second hand, the Traser P-6600 is probably interesting for you. It is one of the very few H3 watches, which has a day AND date window:

traser p-6600 | eBay

The Luminox Field Day and Date is another possibility and this one has a Tritium vial on the second hand (and a sapphire crystal):

Luminox 1879.BO Field Blackout Military Black Out Watch | eBay

cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the recommendations.

I had looked at the Nite watches, none really grabbed me as something I really wanted, they are a nice watch though :) I am not a fan of the Luminox range at all I am afraid, I am not sure what it is about them that turns me off them to be honest either.

The Traser on the other hand, now that is interesting, specially given the price point of the P-6600, shame it doesn't have sapphire crystal, but that isn't a deal breaker. I think I may look further into the Traser's as I only briefly looked at them in the past.

Brett

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have narrowed it down to two watches. As much as I like the Marathon's I want something completely black, and the Marathon's are out of my budget.

Note the similarity between the two, there isn't a great deal of difference from the specs. They are within a Euro of each other in price as well, but the SMW coming with the titanium bracelet as the extra. The TaWaTec having the crown at 9 o'clock, which could be interesting on such a big watch.

No 1. on the list is the SMW Black Diver Titan 300, with titanium bracelet (I'll be getting a NATO as well):

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Black Strap

Clockwork: Ronda Swiss Made Quarz Movement
Functions: 3 hands, Date
Special features: Metal movement, repairable / Power saving mechanism with pullled out stem: Reduction of consumption approximately 70% / Very powerful stepping motor
Waterresistance: to 30 atm/ 300 meters / 990 feet
Dial: black
Hands: red second hand, white minute and hour hand / with green H3 tritium illumination

Size: 44mm whitout crown / 48mm with crown
High: 15mm
Case: black coated titanium
Bottom: screwed, titanium
Crystal: sapphire, antireflectice coated
Crown: screwed, titanium, double o-ring
Bezel:
unidirectional racheting titanium bezel, with green H3 tritium illumination protected under sapphire crystal
Strap: titanium bracelet 22mm black
Warranty: 2 years
10 years on unchanged optical readability.
"Swiss Made" precision instrument

No 2. on the list is the very similar TaWaTec Black Titan Diver (ICS), with NATO strap:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Black Strap

Swiss Ronda Quartz Movement
Special features: Metal movement, repairable / Power saving mechanism with pullled out stem: Reduction of consumption approximately 70%

Functions: 3 hands, Date
Waterresistance: to 30 atm/ 300 meters / 990 feet
Dial: black
Hands: red secondhand, white minute and hour hand
Size: 44mm whitout crown / 48mm with crown
High: 15mm
Case: black PVD coated titanium
Bottom: screwed, titanium
Crystal: sapphire, antireflectice coated
Crown: screwed, titanium, double o-ring
Bezel: unidirectional racheting black coated titanium bezel, with blue H3 tritium illumination protected under sapphire crystal
Strap: Nato strap 22mm black
Warranty: 2 years
10 years on unchanged optical readability

Thanks in advance for any feedback on the two watches.

Regards,

Brett

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm a big fan of the crown on the left side or really anywhere where it doesn't dig into my wrist. For some reason I get annoyed when watches have huge crowns @ the 3 o'clock and dig into your wrist, it just seems a like major design oversight to me. I do have some watches with crowns in the regular position that aren't an issue at all but it really has a lot to do with the case design and crown.

The Black Titan PVD is going to be a bit hard to find for $500 but if you don't mind a used one I'm sure you can score it. The case and bracelet are still made in China but they've moved assembly to Switzerland and are now classified as "Swiss Made". Unfortunately they're also raising the MSRP on them considerably because of this. They're extremely robust and reliable in my experience and haven't had the dreaded bezel popping off issue or the crown o-ring seizing issue that the last batch of E.O. Divers have had.

It's a solid watch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can get both watches for the equivalent of around $600 AU shipped from EU to Australia via milwatches.com (who seem to get the thumbs up from searches on here). So both do fall into my original budget (just :)).

The TaWaTec is more expensive, which is probably due to being "assembled" in Switzerland now as mentioned.

The crown at 9 o'clock is interesting and I do like the idea, if the dial used the same font as the SMW I'd be set. The font on the TaWaTec just seems wrong, specially around the date window where it (the date window) overlaps the 16:00 marker and comes close to the 4 marker.

How resilient is the PVD coating on the Titanium? This will be my daily wearer and will get worn in most occasions, it may get some knocks (nothing serious) and I don't want it to look beat up in 12 - 24 months :)

Thanks again all.

Brett

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've got a beater PVD Titan Black on a bund leather strap and it's help up fairly well. Ultimately the edges get beat up a little more and the PVD coating will get scratched and show through, it's just unavoidable. That said, it does get a neat "worn in" look to it over time but not "beat up". If you want it to look new forever, get the raw Titanium and you can always sand / buff out any scratches.

I doubt you'll be dissapointed in the watch.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I see your not a fan of Luminox, but keep mind the wether you buy a Traser, Luminox H3 Tactical or most any other Swiss quartz watch, you'll be buying a $6.~$20. Ronda movement. I've found brand means very little with the Swiss Tritium watches. I do like Trasers the best but I also really like the style of this luminox.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Hello,
Try a Bertucci A-2T Vintage Black (quartz). It actually looks like a military watch, is titanium, and goes for $140 USD. No tritium tubes, but bfd.

Good luck with your choice,
heb

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the recommendation Heb, always good to see different things.

I ended up getting the SMW from mil watches.com. Outstanding service! They didn't have it in stock, but had it in within 3 days, shipped it and I received it 4 days later. Now it has been wrapped in gift paper and I'll see it on Christmas day :)

Thanks to all for their help and suggestions.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you want something that is a true bang for the buck, SEIKO or Citizen is the way to go. Without question. That's just my two cents - with that being said, there are some great suggestions in this thread.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts