WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know anything about this one? Below is sellers listing verbiage.

"Record 106 Red Twelve. This is an attractive 1920s style watch with the Red Twelve dial popular before the war. The gold filled or gilt finished case is free of wear through or brassing, with only very minor scratches. The case is 31mm wide including the crown. The white enamel dial is single sunk for the small seconds, with black Arabic numerals and a red twelve and is free of cracks or damage. The hands are blued steel, free of rust. The Record 106 jeweled lever movement has 15 jewels and measures 23.3mm (10.5 ligne). The winding and hand set work normally. The movement is in good order and has been properly cleaned and oiled and runs for 45hours, and keeps excellent time within a minute or two per day, on the wrist. It has a strong action in all positions. The watch has a new brown leather strap. This is a very elegant watch suitable for evening wear or every day use."

I think it is early twenties maybe even earlier.

mine!

Edit- anyone recognize this mark in the balance well?

Record blow up.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Well Record certainly used a Swan as their logo, and confirmed here: Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index

I'd say a ladies' watch at that size. Here's one I bought for my wife a while back - but with an inscription from 1950 - even though with a red 12.

Record ladies (5).JPG Record ladies (4).JPG Record ladies (3).JPG

Reactions: bobbee

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Looks like an enamel dial, judging by what appears to be a small crack near 12:00 and the sellers' description. If so, this suggests that it is more likely to be WWI era and in which case, I'd have to gently disagree with Marrick's implication (I think unintended) as to it being a ladies' watch. The case is around about 29mm diameter, not unusual for a mans' case of the time. The size of the movement compares to the Omega cal 23.4, widely used in their Medicus doctor's watches. So for what it's worth, I'd say it was made as a man's watch, but is now a size we consider to be a ladies' model.

Impossible to read the brand mark, I think.

I'd suggest going to Ranfft and taking using the advanced search feature to track down the movement.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Ooops - careless reading on my part. Of course men's size. My apologies. doh.gif

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Looks like an enamel dial, judging by what appears to be a small crack near 12:00 and the sellers' description. If so, this suggests that it is more likely to be WWI era
I would suggest the 2 part case design (and shape) would push it to the mid to late 20s.... even with an enamel dial.

The sellers description is better than most on the bay!

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Well Record certainly used a Swan as their logo, and confirmed here: Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index

I'd say a ladies' watch at that size. Here's one I bought for my wife a while back - but with an inscription from 1950 - even though with a red 12.

View attachment 1596974 View attachment 1596975 View attachment 1596977
Interesting 'heritage' piece already in 1950 of early red 12 1910s watch.

Bobbee piece surely is a mans.
I can not make out the mark. to poor, sorry
adam

Reactions: busmatt and bobbee

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Hmmm. Advanced search never works for me, either. Sorry, Roland, Ich bin ein Dummkopf.:-d

Great link! And another great link in there, thanks!

Don't see anything in there that matches, but I'll have to wait until it arrives, see if I can find a match.
Can't get a match with the movement on Rolands site with the advanced search either.

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sweet lookin' watch, what brand is that? Can't make it out.

Hi, it's a Thomas Russell, with a 7- jewel Premier movement. Not sure, but I think it's an early thirties piece.
Bob.

Reactions: Habitant

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks to be a match with the Record 51/52 cal.

Record33.gif $_57.JPG

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The watch arrived just now, and the mark in the balance well is the "RWT" of Record Watches, Tramelan.
Inside the case back is "Meteor, guaranteed for 10 years, British Made, 37", so it is a Dennison of their lowest grade.
Would the 37 be 1937? I don't think it is, as the grading changed before then and the "guaranteed for X years" was changed to the carat goldused.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Hi there,

Hmmm. Advanced search never works for me, either.
Don't mind. If a calibre is still missing in my archive, and the advanced search finds no match, this indicates that you've done it better than right.

Unfortunately it will still last long until older movements are near complete, especially those of more exotic makers like Record.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,631 Posts
It will be a long time until we have complete lists of all calibres from all makers. Only this week I've found a new bridge variation of an M&ST calibre that is new to me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts