WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After my Grandmother on my Father's side of the family passed away a few years ago, my Father and his brothers went through most of her stuff. Most of my family know I'm a watch nut, and gave me any watches they found; excluding my grandfather's Elgin, that went to my Father. Most of them were in various states, from totally inop to just needing a good cleaning. One that caught my eye was a small tank style wristwatch on an oyster-esque expansion band. The face is toast, the crystal and hands long gone. The case seemed to be a high quality stainless. So out of curiosity, I opened the case and found a Record Watch Co. of Geneve caliber 118 handwind inside. The movement looks to be in excellent condition, and runs. My question to the forum is, does anyone have any background on the company and the movement caliber I stated earlier? Was wondering if it was worth anything to a collector, or an opportunity for a great project watch.

Edit: I will post some pics to aid in identification this evening.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
It wouldn't be worth much if sold, but it could be fun to use it as something to learn on if you wanted to get into servicing your own watches. Most of their movements were very straightforward 17 jewel calibers. Longines bought Record in 1961 and continued using the brand name into the late 70's or early 80's as their lower end offerings. Longines renamed some of the slightly better manual wind movements as their own 700 series.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, ulackfocus:-! That's more than I knew a few hours ago.

Here are the pics as promised:

First is the watch as a whole:

A crown side profile:

Second are a few shots of the inside of the caseback:

And last but not least, the movement:

You'll have to excuse the ghetto macro shots:roll: Camera would not focus and I had to use a Loupe to get it to take. Hopefully the text on the train bridge is legible enough to read.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.