WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have recently been given a watch that belonged to my great grandad.
Story goes he got it of a German soldier on a boat after the war, circa 1945.

My current research seems to confirm this as the face comes up a lot when looking at German Record watches, specifically the GENF bit. British examples appeared to just say Record with the arrow head logo.
However the back plate seems to reference British standards (W.W.W.) and does not have the expected D "serial no" S the German ones had.

Can anyone shed any light on this watch please as I am really interested in any information I can get.

Front_Watch.jpg

Back_watch.JPG

Thanks,

Ash

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,166 Posts
Welcome to Watchuseek. The question is (presuming that bit about the German soldier is correct): where did the German soldier get it from?!

Hartmut Richter

·
Premium Member
7,589 Posts
Your research is good. This watch seems to be a marriage between a WWW case and a different dial and hands. The provenance is interesting and plausible, since parts were swapped around a lot during wartime. However, it's also possible that parts were changed by your ancestor, or even later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your research is good. This watch seems to be a marriage between a WWW case and a different dial and hands. The provenance is interesting and plausible, since parts were swapped around a lot during wartime. However, it's also possible that parts were changed by your ancestor, or even later.
Cheers both, might try and see if Longines have any of Records, records but that is probably a long shot |>

·
Registered
766 Posts
Fascinating.
I have seen a few Record watches, and have been curious as well. Thanks for sharing such a great story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts