WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found my second “Holy Grail”,maybe. I purchased this Rolex and waspretty comfortable that it was legit as I own three other Subs includinganother “Red Sub” like this one. I was abit specious of the bracelet, but it looked pretty good. The links were tapered and the numbers wereproper for this model and age. The crowndid not look right, looks like an aftermarket replacement.
In general this watch looks old;lots of patina with even wear overall. The bracelet looks right, has tapered links, screw slots are square butstampings are a bit “washed” looking. The bracelet has been on this watch a long time from the looks of it asthere is corrosion and discoloration to go along with the wear.
I took it to my local Rolex dealerto have it serviced. After they openedit up they told me it was not the right movement in the watch, they thought theface was legit, the bezel was a later one and the bracelet was acounterfeit. I had them leave the backloose, raced home and jumped on the web. This might have been my first mistake, very confusing. However, I believe this caliber is proper forthis Submariner. This made me suspect oftheir evaluation in general. So, Ithought I would get your impressions. Ihave detailed what I can see below as well as provided some good pictures. Any opinion is much appreciated as I want toget it restored if it is legit. I wouldalso like to know if any of you have a good vintage Rolex service provider youcan recommend, just in case mine were wrong, as I may need a new one.
· Case marked “STAINLESS STEEL 3405XXX” betweenlugs
· Case marked “REGISTERED DESIGN 1680”
· Bracelet end links marked “580”
· Bracelet marked “93150”
· Clasp marked “REGISTERED STEELINOX SWISS MADEVC” “2951509” is hand scribed on it
· Inside case back is marked “MONTRES ROLEX S.A.GENEVA SWITZERLAND PATENTED STAINLESS STEEL” This looks stamped and double struck “1960 1/70” stamped and clean, and“G4199 (NEXT LINE) F2929 (NEXT LINE) E1565” All hand scribed
· Movement is marked “1570” with the otherappropriate marking.
· The crown is the three dot Triplock design butdoes not look proper.
IMG_0063.JPG IMG_0064.JPG IMG_0065.JPG IMG_0066.JPG IMG_0073.JPG IMG_0075.JPG IMG_0076.JPG IMG_0077.JPG IMG_0078.JPG IMG_0079.JPG IMG_0080.JPG IMG_0081.JPG IMG_0082.JPG IMG_0084.JPG IMG_0086.JPG

·
Registered
392 Posts
It's the right movement: the 1575, which is the 1570 with the date function.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts