WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am finally able to pull trigger on a red sub and have done a ton of reading on the various subtypes but am finding it difficult to get info on pricing with all of the variables to contend with. I am not a patina guy, prefer white markers/hands, etc. I require all original without visible service parts. would really like excellent condition with as full kit as possible- what price range am I looking at and any recommended dealers?

thanks

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
As you said, pricing depends on a lot of variables.

Either keep studying hard, or post here for opinions if you find one you like.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You can only pick one.
100% agree.

Also, as far as I know, if you put a watch with tritium markers/hands in a box, out of daylight, tritium will get this beautiful patina colour.

On the other hand, if you expose tritium to UV (sunlight) as you do under normal usage, tritium will bleach and get white.

So if you want a mint example (a safe queen) it will probably have toasted colour tritium.

There are also some sellers who artificially 'bake' the dials/hands to get this beautiful patina colour, maybe if you contact them you can get one of those before they go to the 'oven'...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
indeed-your watch looks like what I am targeting. Thanks for all the info. Any comments on expected price range?

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,636 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks- does anybody have an opinion about pricing on the one above (pristine meters first mark 2 with full kit)?

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
does anybody have an opinion about pricing on the one above (pristine meters first mark 2 with full kit)?
Something is only worth what one is willing to pay. Is a 50 year old Submariner with a bit of red dial script and sloppy bracelet worth to you four times that of a modern equivalent five digit reference?

I find the vintage market, uh, eccentric.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking for comments with respect to market value, not intrinsic value. Some people collect, some don't, I get it.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Yes, this comment is unhelpful and adds nothing.

Something is only worth what one is willing to pay. Is a 50 year old Submariner with a bit of red dial script and sloppy bracelet worth to you four times that of a modern equivalent five digit reference?

I find the vintage market, uh, eccentric.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Yes, this comment is unhelpful and adds nothing.
Well, it is worth the reminder that these vintage watches don't exist in a vacuum, and are on the shelf beside modern used pieces at a quarter of the price. The Op wants his vintage red sub to not look vintage, which means he'd be paying an extra $10-15k for a red line of text compared with essentially the same dial and case (and a better bracelet) on a more modern watch.

And if that's worth it to him, then awesome. No one on a Rolex forum can throw stones about how money is spent. But the reminder of what he's paying for is still worthwhile, I think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts