WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an Ocean One and the extension portion of the stainless steel bracelet is bent too much for my wrist. I'd like to reduce the curve for a better fit. Has anyone tried this or have any suggestions on how to do it (or how NOT to do it :roll:)?

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
A much easier solution is to take out links on the 12 o clock side and add them to the 6 o clock side. This will make the clasp sit towards the outside of your wrist.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
I would not want to be bending any part of the clasp as you are likely to send it out of alignment & it won't close. Waldoh's solution is the best option.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is a good idea waldoh, thanks. I like having the clasp centered beneath my wrist but I'll give it a try and see which I prefer.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
RE: TZ review 02/2006:

The other issue I had was with the extreme arc of the folding hasp closure pieces of the bracelet. When closed the back of the hasp didn't fit closely enough to the lask link of the bracelet. Another area of concern was the hinge pin on the folding hasp hinge. The pin had a rough spot that irritated my wrist. I was able to easily correct these two issues by filing the hinge pin and carefully removing some of the arc in the clasp hinge pieces.

I saw this review 5 years ago about the problem of too much curve which can leave a undesirable gap between the clasp and links. The advise I got from the author was to put it on a wooden surface and use a small block of wood against the clasp and carefully hammer down on it which worked fine for me. It will bend easily so be careful and do not hammer too hard! I still have and often wear my Steinhart Ocean 1 and have had no issues with the bracelet or clasp.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks Mike! That's really helpful info. I actually tried hammering with wood below it and a cloth on top to protect it from marks. I didn't hammer all that hard because I was worried about a) leaving marks and b) wanted to test it malleability a bit before going all in. So with your feedback I feel much more confident in repeating the procedure and including a block on top as you've described. Thanks again.

·
Registered
707 Posts
RE: TZ review 02/2006:

The other issue I had was with the extreme arc of the folding hasp closure pieces of the bracelet. When closed the back of the hasp didn't fit closely enough to the lask link of the bracelet. Another area of concern was the hinge pin on the folding hasp hinge. The pin had a rough spot that irritated my wrist. I was able to easily correct these two issues by filing the hinge pin and carefully removing some of the arc in the clasp hinge pieces.

I saw this review 5 years ago about the problem of too much curve which can leave a undesirable gap between the clasp and links. The advise I got from the author was to put it on a wooden surface and use a small block of wood against the clasp and carefully hammer down on it which worked fine for me. It will bend easily so be careful and do not hammer too hard! I still have and often wear my Steinhart Ocean 1 and have had no issues with the bracelet or clasp.
Thanks for the info! I posted about this a while back - https://www.watchuseek.com/f275/question-ocean-1-clasp-637752.html

I Will give this a try tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
This was a minor complaint I was willing to live with (for now), but no longer. A couple blocks of wood, hammer, couple light hits, couple firmer hits, and the gap is reduced to the point it will no longer snag on clothes or the keyboard arm rest.

Before and after.
View attachment 673840

Tools.
View attachment 673841
+1 for me, I found the same solution posted few days ago in one of italian forum, I went trough the same procedure but I did not use the hammer :)
I put the bended part of the clasp on one breadboard and I pushed another breadboard from the top with my hands using all the weight of my body (80kgs), no hit and a perfect bend like your! ;-)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Michael, fantastic photos and result! Thanks so much for sharing! I'm definitely going for it now. Thanks again for helping me resolve this minor annoyance. :-!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had the same issue but used a vice to crush the curve flat. Worked great. Just wrap with tape or cloth to prevent scratches.
In the photo above is before and below after the fix.
SteinhartBraceletIssueModificationFIX.jpg
video:

Reactions: Dec1968

·
Registered
86 Posts
Received new Steinhart bracelet and had the same issue. Recommend the vise procedure as it works well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Received new Steinhart bracelet and had the same issue. Recommend the vise procedure as it works well.
Strange.. I just received my Steinhart Ocean GMT yesterday and mine is really flat.
(I just registered this account to join Steinhart club , so it's really low post..)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts