WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Sorry that my first post on here is begging, but I've just ebayed myself my first timex - the above mentioned Reef Gear (I believe there are a few types. Mine is like this one THBDBIGIYBKJHPUOHHGGDPUG but with a deep blue dial). It came with a spare link, making it just big enough (I presume she must have lost the others as I only have 7 inch wrists) but unfortunately it didn't come with the friction pin. No big deal I thought, and went shopping for another. I've had 4 different jewelers try now, but none of the pins they had would fit. They had to be tapped in, but once flush could very easily slide further in and half way out the other side. I took another pin out from elsewhere and that fits fine so there's nothing wrong with the link, so all I can assume is that the reef gear needs a very specific friction pin.

So, I hate to be cheeky but I was hoping someone might have a spare one they would be able to send me? (I would of course be more than willing to make a contribution to cover postage).

Many thanks,
Tom

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Contact your local Timex Repair center or Timex in Connecticut. They should be able to get you the exact correct pin. I'd be surprised if they charged you.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried that, and have just got a reply directing me to a different email address. With any luck they'll have some left!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, after about a week of 'yes, all i want is the friction pin, yes that means there's a hole in the links where a pin needs to go....' and the tone of Timex's communication heading way downhill (although I should mention that it did start off extremely polite and helpful), I eventually got the message across and paid for the part (only a pound, but still seems rather stingy to charge a customer for a bent piece of wire. Too much dealing with Omega's made me a little spoilt I guess).

Took about a fortnight more for the thing to arrive, and it's the wrong size! I don't know if it was a mistake on dispatch, or if i was quoted the wrong model number for my watch, which is where you lovely people come in! I've attached a photo of my watch, and was wondering if anyone could tell me if T59641 is the correct code?

Many thanks, and sorry to reawaken a rather uninteresting thread.

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got back in touch, and after making me prove I'd sent the emails I had, and putting me on hold after every question I asked, it turns out that the number they supplied was correct (bill, the one you gave me turned out to bt the designation for the orange face specifically). They refuse to acknowledge that they must have sent the wrong pins (I actually had to use the phrase 'well if the number you gave me is right and you sent the pins for that number then they would fit, wouldn't they?') so now I have to send off a pin from my watch so they can get their act together and send me the simple thing I asked for in an email mid November!

These people are really starting to get on my wick!

Tom

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, after waiting for the post to get back to normal after Christmas I sent off the pin to Timex. To their credit, they sent me the right pins, and sent 4 rather than the two I'd paid for.

However, I think having to go to such lengths to get a short piece of bent wire is rediculous. I'd also rather expected some sort of apology or explanation as to why I was forced to to spoonfeed the company into giving me what I had paid for. To be fair £1 for two can't be far from cost price by the time they've paid postage, sent someone down to the stock room to get them etc, but then the I must have spent a good bit more mailing them my pin and spending 20 minutes on the phone trying to talk sense into them, being put on hold for five minutes every time I answered a question. It's not a lot of money I know but that's not the point

What REALLY got on my nerves was the distrusting and uninterested tone with which I was spoken to when trying to sort out THEIR mistake. Why on Earth would I try and trick them into sending the wrong type of pin, then ask for the right one (or vice versa)? What possible reason is there to do this? I really cannot think of one, therefore would very much like to know why I was treated with such suspicion and aggression. My first contact with Timex was a breeze and a pleasure, but why it soon degenerated into a stressful and infuriating process is beyond me.

Just wanted to share that with you (and get it off my chest).

Tom

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Well, after waiting for the post to get back to normal after Christmas I sent off the pin to Timex. To their credit, they sent me the right pins, and sent 4 rather than the two I'd paid for.

However, I think having to go to such lengths to get a short piece of bent wire is rediculous. I'd also rather expected some sort of apology or explanation as to why I was forced to to spoonfeed the company into giving me what I had paid for. To be fair £1 for two can't be far from cost price by the time they've paid postage, sent someone down to the stock room to get them etc, but then the I must have spent a good bit more mailing them my pin and spending 20 minutes on the phone trying to talk sense into them, being put on hold for five minutes every time I answered a question. It's not a lot of money I know but that's not the point

What REALLY got on my nerves was the distrusting and uninterested tone with which I was spoken to when trying to sort out THEIR mistake. Why on Earth would I try and trick them into sending the wrong type of pin, then ask for the right one (or vice versa)? What possible reason is there to do this? I really cannot think of one, therefore would very much like to know why I was treated with such suspicion and aggression. My first contact with Timex was a breeze and a pleasure, but why it soon degenerated into a stressful and infuriating process is beyond me.

Just wanted to share that with you (and get it off my chest).

Tom
Very well put. Unfortunately you probably spoke with a low level employee who did not care about their job, and conveyed it in the tone of voice. I have found that people like this often strike out at who they can, because they have no control over their own lives.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts