WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I “getting” reference locking?

Through trial and error I am reaching these conclusions about locking references.

If you set altitude reference while in alti. profile, the reference setting does not lock but floats with calculated altitude. So, when in baro. profile with the view that shows alti. reference, the reference floats all around and is not locked. Ditto automatic profile.

But if, you set the alti, reference while in baro profile, then the alti. reference is locked in both baro and automatic profile.

Getting close? Is the baro. reference the same, except in reverse?

·
Registered
74 Posts
mmmm I'm not sure I'm following, but if I do, no, that's not quite right.

Remember, all the watch does is measure air pressure. It senses changes in the pressure surrounding it. That's all.

The purpose of the different profiles is to tell the watch how to interpret those pressure changes (let's just worry about baro and alti mode for now. All auto does is automatically change back and forth between those two. It's not really a functionally different profile.)

In alti profile, the altitude changes. If you look at the reference values, baro pressure stays constant since, by putting the watch in alti profile, you've told it to interpret pressure changes as altitude changes. Therefore, baro pressure reference value doesn't change in alti mode.

In baro profile, it's exactly the opposite. The watch is now interpreting all pressure changes as baro pressure changes. Therefore, alti reference value is locked and never changes.

So, in either alti or baro mode: the value that the mode is named for changes, and will fluctuate with pressure changes. The OTHER value is locked.

In EITHER mode, you can set either alti or baro as a reference value. Remember, the two are joined. ALWAYS joined. You can set either one as a reference value, and that will cause the other to change as well. That doesn't change based on whatever mode you're in.

All you're doing when you select a mode is telling the watch how to interpret any pressure changes IT senses. YOU are still free to set either reference value you like, and right after that, both alti and baro displays will be accurate, no matter which mode you're in.

It would be soooo much easier if you could play with an analog altimeter for a few minutes. You'd get it, completely.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But a set alti reference *does* change *if* the refrence is set while in alti mode. If you set say 20 in that situation, then switch mode to baro and go to the view in baro mode that shows the alti reference, that reference number bounces around.

BUT if you set the alti reference while you are in baro mode, and go to same baro view, the alti reference is locked and shows the reference value you set.

Or at least this is the way it appears to work.

·
Registered
74 Posts
But a set alti reference *does* change *if* the refrence is set while in alti mode. If you set say 20 in that situation, then switch mode to baro and go to the view in baro mode that shows the alti reference, that reference number bounces around.

BUT if you set the alti reference while you are in baro mode, and go to same baro view, the alti reference is locked and shows the reference value you set.

Hmmm that's weird. All I can figure is maybe your pressure or altitude changed after you set your alti reference in alti mode and before you switched to baro mode. Alti value should never change in baro mode. Try this: in baro mode, set an alti reference and then bring up the view that shows alti reference value under the baro graph. Then, climb a flight of stairs. After a minute, the baro value should click down .01 in/Hg, but the alti reference value should not change. If it does, something's wrong.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually your stair experiment was what caused me to notice this in the first place. I was setting "16" as alti reference on the ground before I walked into my building. I would then ride the elevator up to my office. I would be in baro profile with view showing the alti. reference but he reference shown would difer from reference set.

Through trial and error I discovered that if I set alti reference while in baro profile, the alti reference would lock and not change.

BUT if I set alti reference while in alti. profile, then switch to baro profile, the alti reference shown in baro profile would change.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well that doesn't make sense, but I can't say for sure that I've ever tried it so who knows... maybe a bug? Seems like they'd have worked out something like that by now.

Anyway, I'll try mine. I just put it in alti profile, and set my reference altitude to 650ft, then switched back to baro profile. I've got it on the barograph screen now, with the ref. alt shown in the small field below. I'll leave it like this overnight and see what happens!

·
Registered
38 Posts

I have tested mine and it appears to do the same as yours.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for confirmation. There alos seems to be circumstances where a set references does not lock in automatic profile, as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Neither reference will lock in auto profile, as the watch switches back and forth between alti and baro modes. Therefore, either value can change, depending on what mode you're in.

I put my watch in alti mode last night, set an alti ref, and switched to baro mode. I went upstairs and verified that my baro pressure indicated a slight drop - alti ref remained constant. This morning, I see my watch has continued to accurately track a steady decrease in baro pressure - alti ref hasn't changed at all. Which is the way it should be.

If your alti ref value is really changing while you're in baro profile, there's something wrong. This would greatly affect the accuracy of your barometer mode. Maybe it's a(nother) bug affecting a certain batch of Cores?

I'd try it again before worrying though, just to verify. After changing back to baro mode, immediately verify that your alti ref is still what you set it at. Then try your elevator experiment and see what happens. That alti ref value should NOT change in baro mode.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Isn't that the way it's supposed to work? My elevation is only 35 metres from sea level, but I wanted to set both reference values (altitude and sea level pressure) correctly and this wouldn't work without that before said functionality as otherwise changing the other would affect the other. I hope it's not a bug in the software! :)

At the moment, Altitude 35m and air pressure 1013 hPa (weather stations reading about 400 metres away -from 20 minutes ago is 1012,8 hPa). It's always max +/- 2 metres off and the air pressure is of course spot on.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Isn't that the way it's supposed to work? My elevation is only 35 metres from sea level, but I wanted to set both reference values (altitude and sea level pressure) correctly and this wouldn't work without that before said functionality as otherwise changing the other would affect the other. I hope it's not a bug in the software! :)
Oh no... when SETTING the reference values, changing one will absolutely change the other, in any profile. That is normal.

We're talking about a reference value changing on its own, in response to pressure changes... right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts