WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can see here how I refinished my Rolex case, clasp, and bracelet. Before this it was really scratched up on the bracelet, clasp, and the polished sections on the sides of the watch as well as the bezel (as it was pre-owned). I wish I took "before" photos.

I brushed the bracelet and clasp with a green Scotchbrite pad first to remove deep scratches, and then with 3M Flexible Polishing Papers (which are apparently the method Rolex themselves use to brush their watches). I have tried many methods regarding brushing watches, and these papers are by far the best with the most even grain and finest finish. You start off with the 400 grit paper (green) and brush evenly with even pressure (not too hard) and stroke from one side to the other (do not backstroke). You do this for each link in the bracelet (or for half of the clasp, and then proceed onto the other half). Once done, you do the same with a higher grit polishing paper, and then higher, and so on, until you reach the highest and finest grit polishing paper. Once finished with all this, you can if you choose, simply put Cape cloth around the bracelet (but DO NOT polish or swipe) to give it a slight shine [I did this], and finally remove residue with an old rag or a microfibre cloth.

For the sides of the watch, sides of the bracelet, and the bezel - which all have a polished finish - I simply polished them with Cape Cod polishing cloth by hand, for a pretty long time (around 20 minutes). Once done, I removed residue with a microfibre cloth.

Also, make sure to tape the polished sections of the watch while brushing, and brushed sections while polishing.

Once finished, I don't know if you have to do this step but I just leave the watch alone for at least 2 days to let the Cape Cod polish "settle in" to the watch.

I think my results came out extremely good.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Turquoise Fashion accessory Turquoise Metal Jewellery

Turquoise Fashion accessory Turquoise Material property Jewellery

Watch Metal Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Looks nice!

Reactions: tayyabpirzada

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Lovely work. Have you tried the Bergeon polishing blocks? I have them in three grit variations and because they're flexible yet in block form, you can control the pressure applied better than with papers. One can also cut away sections of the blocks for polishing inside crevices and for preserving sharp angles.

These, and quite a few cutting and polishing compounds, from White Diamond to green and red rouges, French polishes, and Wham! are what I normally use, along with a dual-head polishing wheel and a Dremel, plus red and yellow polishing cloths, to keep my watches in like-new condition.

Material property

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Good stuff! It definitely would have been nice to see a before and after pic.

Btw, how did you exactly tape off the crystal. I always seem to have a hard time with that.

Reactions: tayyabpirzada
1 - 20 of 29 Posts