WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

I just received this letter from our CEO, Mr. Herrera. Once again, we want to extend our apologies for the confusion and offer our thanks for your continued support.

Regards,
Jeremy

Dear Ball customers & forum members,

With the great success of our new “Fireman Night Train" model have come some questions about the use of the term Universal Time Coordinated. The Fireman Night Train uses the term UTC to describe the 24-hour window tied to the main hour hand.

As the term UTC has come to mean 2 time zones in most watch collectors’ minds, we have opted to change the dial to reflect this. The Night Train dials will now read “Universal Military Time” which is more commonly used to refer to 24-hour time.

We shall redouble our efforts to ensure that our retailers & all staff are properly trained that this is a single time zone watch. We apologize for any misunderstanding.

For those Ball customers who have already purchased the Night Train, we offer to replace a new dial at no cost to you. To obtain further information, kindly contact your respective distributor for your country or region.

Thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely yours,
Francisco A. Herrera
CEO, Ball Watch Company

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
A wise decision, IMHO. :-!

A quick question, Jeremy: Will this delay the release of the white Night Train? I am 95% ready to buy it when the Tour comes to town in 2 weeks.

Rob

·
Registered
340 Posts
A wise decision, IMHO. :-!
A quick question, Jeremy: Will this delay the release of the white Night Train? I am 95% ready to buy it when the Tour comes to town in 2 weeks.
Rob
I would guess it will not only delay the release of the white train, but also
the shipment of other black night trains that were ready to go, but now
will wait for new dials. What the delay will be - only depends on how fast
can BALL have these new dials ready. If I already took the delivery of Night
Train during last few days - I would not ship it right back. Instead, I would wait
until I'd see the new dial version being shipped and only then I would ship my watch for the dial swap.

Good job Ball for correcting this SO FAST and being on top of things :-!

Now we can only hope that you are also peaking into our another thread
where we are fantasizing about next versions of Night Train since we just
love those 60 tubes on the dial. (BTW, if you will consider impliment 60-tube
dial into Hydrocarbon line, I am sure nobody here will complain :-d

·
Registered
510 Posts
Milos, question for you. As a "watch-investor" (flipper), would the UTC version then be more desirable than the corrected UMT dials?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I think this is a very good way to step up and correct the misleading dial. :-!

I hope that Ball will also correct promotional pictures that show the UTC/UMC window with a different military 24 hour time than the hands on the dial show.:think: This could easily confuse customers by giving the illusion it is a 2 time zone watch. :think: It certainly confused me. ;-)

·
Registered
991 Posts
That's hawesome. If I saw the word Military, I'd just assume it showed 24hour. It's still very useful. How many of us do the "Is it in AM or PM shuffle" when resetting an auto?

One day it'd be cool to see that UTC window function as it does in that photoshop, but that photoshop for the present needs to be reigned in quickly.

Great looking watch and great response, two thumbs up! :-! :-!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Thanks very much, Jeremy, for posting this letter from Mr. Herrera, CEO of The Ball Watch Company. And a great big thanks to Mr. Herrera. :-!

It's this kind of expedient and proactive response, that reminds me of why I'm such a huge fan of Ball watches and The Ball Watch Company. I was always aware that the Night Train was a single time zone watch, and just figured that "UTC" was the correct name for that military time function. This apparent misnomer is insignificant to me, and I don't plan on having the dial changed out for the new one...but I can certainly understand how folks may have been confused and/or disappointed, especially if they considered the Night Train specifically for the dual time zone function.

While I'm not surprised at how quickly The Ball Watch Company has responded to these concerns raised on this forum, it is deeply satisfying for me to see Ball Watch's customer service in action, just the same! :-!

I'm proud to be a part of the Ball Watch "family", as well as a part of this awesome forum.

;-)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks Jeremy. This is what makes the difference between a ok/good company and a great company...Ball is listening to the customers voice and standing behind its product and customers - that is truely commendable. You guys have moved fast and rectified what could have been a BIG issue, before it has become one...Kudos to you guys for being on forums and online communities and listening to early adopters!

I'm glad I bought a Ball...another one in the pipeline :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Is there any additional information on the delay on the full NT launch? Or are all NT's going to come out with UTC dials and then we will have to go to our AD's to get them refitted with the correct UMT dials once Ball consructs them all?

Also any news on the rubber straps? That orange stitching doesnt make sense to me at all...:think:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there any additional information on the delay on the full NT launch?
The shipment schedule will not change. So the few watches that go out this month will have "UTC."

Once we receive the first batch of the new dials, we will then ship the "UMT" dial. As mentioned, any customer who has already purchased the UTC and wishes to change it to UMT can send to us for a free replacement.

Regards,
Jeremy Hogan
Ball Watch Company

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thank you

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you so much for posting this. I need to check with my dealer to make sure they deliver me the version with the UMT dial so I don't have to mess with a dial switch afterward.

Do you have a target date as to when the switch to the new dial at the factory will occur? What does my dealer has to do to order the new version?

Thanks.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Thank you

We expect delivery sometime between 45-60 days.

Dealers will not have to specially order anything. Once we have the new dials in stock, we shall produce only UMT dials.

Regards,
Jeremy

·
Registered
444 Posts
Jeff or Jeremy:
Will the Night Train be available in an all S.S. case and bracelet anytime soon?
Oh! and another thing. The 24hr system was designed by the railroads first I believe. Why make it 'Military Time', why not URT?
Just a thought............
Tim

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
Jeff or Jeremy:
Will the Night Train be available in an all S.S. case and bracelet anytime soon?
Oh! and another thing. The 24hr system was designed by the railroads first I believe. Why make it 'Military Time', why not URT?
Tim
if that's true, what an interesting idea, URT!

Sean

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Railway Time

Jeff or Jeremy:
Tim
That is true, and in fact it was a one of the final three choices for the updated dial. But in this day and age, "Railway Time" just seems a bit too old-fashioned, especially on the dial of the Night Train.

Regards,
Jeremy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re: Railway Time

what is the retail price (in USD) for this nice watch ?? thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
I guess the NT will make a nice x-mas gift to myself when it comes out refined sometime in December. Honestly I don't think I can wait that long, but any word on when the NT's on rubber will be due? Or are those being held back for the 45-60 days until the UMT dials are in stock?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts