WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for 6 months for the perfect automatic watch.

I ended up choosing two, the Omega 2254.50 seamaster, and a Longines flagship. Some of you may have seen the seamaster pics I posted.

Now I am having major regrets. I paid $1,515 USD for the Omega, and $715 for the Longines from an authorized dealer.
The watches are in perfect condition, and are gorgeous.

However now I find myself thinking about how that money could have been better used for investments etc.

I'm not quite middle aged yet...

What do you guys think? Did I make a big mistake? At my age, its all about accumulating wealth for later. I don't have the need for a watch of this calibre, although I can certainly appreciate it. I do however find myself wearing my invicta more often, because I can bang it up etc.

The watches are flawless, except for a few extremely light scratches on the bottom of the clasp on the Omega, only visible in certain light under extreme scrutiny.

Should I sell these? If so, how much would be reasonable to sell them for?

Could I get what I paid for them?

Thanks.

-Freq

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Hi Freq. Here's a thought - you said, "at my age, it's all about accumulating wealth for later"....
If the rest of your financial house is in order, buying $2200 worth of watches isn't going to make you or break you, won't accellerate or delay retirement or major purchases (homes, vacations, investments, etc.). It isn't ALL about accumulating wealth for later...a blend is a good thing. It's ok to enjoy some now, even on things that don't make money.
That's good advice. However, if you have a lot of debt, pay credit card interest, or other things that are needed are unattended to, well, disregard the above, and take care of business. Good luck with your decision - Best, John

·
Registered
51 Posts
Freq,

Why don't you sell one? I think you may always desire a nice watch like this at some stage in your life - all you've done is get one sooner rather than later. Start saving now and put any future windfalls towards investments. That way you can still wear you're watch now and forever more without the guilt.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'd get what you paid for them. You can always try one on the Bay and set a sensible reserve?

Sean

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Regrets

Ask yourself can you afford to sell them?, if as ST1 says you won't get your money back is it worth selling them at all, bearing in mind you obvioulsy bought them because you liked them, if you bang them out tomorrow for say $1800 will you in 6 months time think damn wish I still had those two watches, and buy them again or something similar for $2k+

If I was you I'd wait another month or two and see how you feel and perhaps take the advice above and maybe sell one - gotta be the longines though!:think:

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
All about accumulating wealth???
Are you;
liviing in a cardboard box?
Drining a Yugo?
Eating only bread and water?
Clothes shopping at Goodwill?

My financial advisor has always insisted I enjoy myself a bit. That is the best advice he's given me too!(He owns two Connies, vintage and new, for what thats worth)Take a vacation too-that 2254 would love some seawater!
Don

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Why would you regret spending a little of what you earn on yourself?
If you are contributing to your 401, company retiremant, and savings
on a regular basis and are right on time with your payments, why not enjoy the fruits of your labor a little. You didn't say if you were married
or had children, but if everyone has what they need and want, you have no revolving debt(credit cards), you are paying extra on your mortgage
and not loaded up with a bunch of upside down car payments, why not treat yourself a little. Why do you want all that wealth when you are 80 years old? Ask yourself this: you ever seen an 80 year old guy running the streets, chasing tail, drinking with both hands and driving a Corvette?
Yeah, me neither. Ever see a Brinks armored car following a hearse?
Yeah, me neither.
Enjoy your money, save a little, spend a little and don't forget to pay yourself.
This is free advice from an upper middle age broke guy.
jim
ps
I'll give you $50 bucks for the Seamaster.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
on a regular basis and are right on time with your payments, why not enjoy the fruits of your labor a little. You didn't say if you were married
or had children, but if everyone has what they need and want, you have no revolving debt(credit cards), you are paying extra on your mortgage
and not loaded up with a bunch of upside down car payments, why not treat yourself a little. Why do you want all that wealth when you are 80 years old? Ask yourself this: you ever seen an 80 year old guy running the streets, chasing tail, drinking with both hands and driving a Corvette?
Yeah, me neither.
Enjoy your money, save a little, spend a little and don't forget to pay yourself.
jim
ps
hah, k to clarify:

+not married, looking to be so at some point though
+no revolving credit debt
+some investments
+just started 401k
-no large savings
-no mortgage
-no kids
-do have upside-down car payments
-live somewhat out of my means = bad at saving

Thoughts?

-Freq

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Yeah, me neither.
jim
ps

I intend to be that 80 year old guy in the Corvette. However, I'm already married to the winsome brunette, so I'm ok on that count. Might have to pick up a Ranger 1860 Angler with a 175 Verado on it though.... Oh, and I'll give you $100 for the Seamaster.
I'm planning on living to 100 and pretty much having fun all the way. b-)

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I went to one of those death clock websites. It said I died in 1997. I'm living it up now! Life's too short for regrets, Freq. If you deem the purchases a mistake, sell them for what you can get. Otherwise, enjoy them. You also mentioned you want to be married. Enjoy the watches now then. Wives are pretty expensive.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Sounds like you got a decent price on that 2254....so you should be able to sell it for almost what you paid for it, or perhaps only loose $100 or so.

There is nothing wrong with treating yourself every now and then, but only you can decide if this was a reasonable purchase or not.

The lesson here is to always buy your watches used on the sales forum. That way, you can sell them for what you paid when you get buyers remorse or perhaps even make enough profit to cover the cost of shipping and paypal fees.

Pacman

·
Registered
856 Posts
hah, k to clarify:

+some investments
+just started 401k
-no large savings
-no mortgage
-no kids

Thoughts?

If you think when you get married and have kids getting personal toys will get easier think again Pal, you are about as set as you ever will be without having all the baggage and having to explain every nickel you spend on yourself. You have plenty of time for 401K and retirement at least you have it started that's the main thing, you can be miserable and have a wonderful portfolio and forget to have fun along the way. This growing up and getting old crap is highly overrated trust me on that .

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
I went to one of those death clock websites. It said I died in 1997. I'm living it up now! Life's too short for regrets, Freq. If you deem the purchases a mistake, sell them for what you can get. Otherwise, enjoy them. You also mentioned you want to be married. Enjoy the watches now then. Wives are pretty expensive.
Mine is 1/22/2022. John Wilson.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Not much point being the richest man in the Graveyard...

I agree with the others that this is hardly going to be the difference between being rich in retirement and being on the street.

Believe me when you get married (I have my first anniversary this week) you will need to justify every purchase. I bought my wife a Mulberry bag for her birthday recently. It cost about $1,200. She has used it once in 2 months. I then suggested that I buy a Speedy with my money (my spending money after paying my share of the 2 mortgages and bills, savings etc). This proposal did not meet with the agreement of the missus even though I will use it at least 3 times a week. Go figure......

My wifes grandfather is 95 years old, had 8 kids, smokes a pack a day and walked from Greece to Albania then back to fight in WW2. The reason he is still alive is that he does not worry about unimportant things and he enjoys life.

If you enjoy the watches, keep them!!

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Since we're not talking about $100K worth of Patek and Vacheron hardware here -- and you're not in debt -- I say enjoy the watches, and keep an eye on your spending going forward. Afterall, you're only young once, so why not live it up a bit while you can?

However, if this is really keeping you up at night, sell the Longines -- the 2254.50 is a modern-day classic, and one that you'll kick yourself for unloading.

Just my $0.02.

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm just 21, haven't finished college or got a real job yet. And I'm buying a PO (my own money, not my dad's) This makes me wonder if I'm taking the right way. Sometimes I think that if I don't to this kind of thing now I will regret when I get older... Good luck!

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Get started on

hah, k to clarify:

+some investments
+just started 401k
-no large savings
-no mortgage
-no kids

Thoughts?

-Freq
buying a home. It will appriciate faster than anything most times. Besides, everyone has to have a place to live. Great on the credit card thing, they are a trap. If you must, use one that you have to pay off
every month (amex). Couple of months of being short will cure you
using it, or they will for you. Good thing on the investments. You don't say what they are but there are plenty of high yeild mutuals that do
well for very little up front money. Make that money hard to get at,
you'll think twice before using it. That 401, work hard on putting the max in it. It will pay well later. Pay it every month from your paycheck
and stay with it. You'll never miss it out of your take home pay. You
need to keep a couple of months take home pay in the bank savings
thats easy to get to for emergencies. Also if you loose your job,
you can get another within that time frame. If you have a really big car repair or something medical, its good to have it handy. Its not going to earn much in a passbook savings account but the piece of mind is
worth it. That car, well, its nice to have the BMW or sports car,
but its cheaper to have something thats reliable, cheap to insure,
with low maintaince that you are not upside down on. Do some
research, its silly to have that 1 ton dually deisel, 4 door country
Cadillac if you don't need it. If you are using that BMW for a chick magnet, ditch it, if thats what it takes to get women to pay attention
to you, think agian about the kind of women you are looking for.
Shop hard for the watches you like. Buying used as I do, is always
smarter. Let someone else eat the depreciation. Buy from people
you trust. You can save hundreds if you look hard enough.
Enjoy your life and your money. Think about the goods you are
buying and what you can really do without, you'll be surprised at
the things that you won't buy that you'll never miss. Impulse
buying has run many people broke.
These are just my thoughts and don't really mean anything much.
Plenty of people will disagree with some of them but they
are solid ideas for having a few bucks when you get a little older.
Some sound a little harsh like the car thing but they really make
sense when you think about it. Get a financial advisor too, it will
really help.
I hope this has given you just a few ideas.
jim
ps
I'll go $150 on the Seamaster

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Re: Get started on

This is really good advice from Jim (though I'd ask for $300 for the Seamaster)...I highly suggest following it. Sounds like a lot of hard earned knowledge.

And I think that the fact that you are asking yourself the question of whether it is worth at this stage in your life (I'm assuming you are starting off in your career) means that you are prudent with money. Keep the watches! I think you are being too hard on yourself...I'm 37, broke, married with a son but I'm proud to say that I'm not in debt and still have some in the bank to speak for. I'm not a wizard at investments (I hardly ever invest in securities) but I've saved up quite a little to give me that peace of mind that Jim is talking about.

And I have more than 10 watches! These are my most precious investments. If you really love them you will always find a way to acquire and keep them without having to regret afterward and still be on the plus side. I've given up dreams of being a decadent rock star with millions raining down my cannon and have opted to pursue a boring operations job but at the end of the day I can go home and say that I've earned what I have...

Now let's see some pictures!

Regards
Glimmer

buying a home. It will appriciate faster than anything most times. Besides, everyone has to have a place to live. Great on the credit card thing, they are a trap. If you must, use one that you have to pay off
every month (amex). Couple of months of being short will cure you
using it, or they will for you. Good thing on the investments. You don't say what they are but there are plenty of high yeild mutuals that do
well for very little up front money. Make that money hard to get at,
you'll think twice before using it. That 401, work hard on putting the max in it. It will pay well later. Pay it every month from your paycheck
and stay with it. You'll never miss it out of your take home pay. You
need to keep a couple of months take home pay in the bank savings
thats easy to get to for emergencies. Also if you loose your job,
you can get another within that time frame. If you have a really big car repair or something medical, its good to have it handy. Its not going to earn much in a passbook savings account but the piece of mind is
worth it. That car, well, its nice to have the BMW or sports car,
but its cheaper to have something thats reliable, cheap to insure,
with low maintaince that you are not upside down on. Do some
research, its silly to have that 1 ton dually deisel, 4 door country
Cadillac if you don't need it. If you are using that BMW for a chick magnet, ditch it, if thats what it takes to get women to pay attention
to you, think agian about the kind of women you are looking for.
Shop hard for the watches you like. Buying used as I do, is always
smarter. Let someone else eat the depreciation. Buy from people
you trust. You can save hundreds if you look hard enough.
Enjoy your life and your money. Think about the goods you are
buying and what you can really do without, you'll be surprised at
the things that you won't buy that you'll never miss. Impulse
buying has run many people broke.
These are just my thoughts and don't really mean anything much.
Plenty of people will disagree with some of them but they
are solid ideas for having a few bucks when you get a little older.
Some sound a little harsh like the car thing but they really make
sense when you think about it. Get a financial advisor too, it will
really help.
I hope this has given you just a few ideas.
jim
ps
I'll go $150 on the Seamaster

·
Registered
661 Posts
If you're not enjoying the watches because of the cost burden, then you may as well sell them.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts