WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Regulated?

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Willieboy 
#1 ·
What is meant by regulated? How does one have their watch regulated?

Thanks.

#3 ·
Not trying to be rude, but Vandice does have a point. Here is a link to an online encyclopedia of Horological terms, which should prove useful to you in getting a basic understanding of the terms everyone here takes for granted and throw about so casually:

http://www.time4watches.com/watch terms.htm

Familiarize yourself with the basic terminology and you'll have a much easier time understanding some of the discussions on the board.

If that Dictionary is not enough there are a few others on this link which should prove helpful as well:

http://www.alphadictionary.com/directory/Specialty_Dictionaries/Horology/

G
#6 · (Edited)
Oops. I'm sorry if you found my reply rude. No flaming intent.

Before I replied, I did try searching this forum with the word 'regulate' and got 2 promising hits on the first page of results alone. That took less than 10 seconds.

I was just trying to point out the fact that you could have gotten an answer to your question very quickly by using the search feature instead of waiting for a reply to an admittedly standard definition.

#5 ·
Sorry that you feel that way. But regulating is basically when someone tries to adjust an automatic or even a quartz to become more accurate. Sometimes they do it for different positions and temperatures. Those links Isthmus provided provide better information I'm sure.

#7 ·
While it's true that there is a lot of information on google, it is sometimes easier and more fun to get real answers on this forum. The search feature is nice, but I don't see the problem in asking again. Isn't that what this forum is all about? It's not just for watch geeks. It's for regular people too who may not know as much as some. Everybody take a deep breath and relax.
This forum is all about the love of watches. There are no stupid questions.
Welcome all and happy Holidays :-!

#9 ·
Individuals can adjust their own watch, as long as you know what you're looking for. Although it is mainly a game of trial and error, I've read several stories of people getting 5 seconds of deviation or less. Although I also believe it is a relatively cheap service that a competent watch maker can do, I've heard 20-40 bucks. Being new to watches, I'd recommend taking it to a watch maker. I've considered working on my Seiko 5 but I need to purchase the right tools first.

#10 ·
Individuals can adjust their own watch, as long as you know what you're looking for.
I regulated my own Monster and for my daily use it is gaining 1sec during work day, and losing 1sec when I sleep. I couldn't be happier. It did take me three attemps, but for me it sure beat going to the shop three times.

#11 ·
Hey Coldhit, what did you use to open the caseback? Is it $$$? I'd like to do this myself sometime for a few of my watches. thnx

#12 ·
Hey Coldhit, what did you use to open the caseback? Is it $$$? I'd like to do this myself sometime for a few of my watches. thnx
I used a case back opener that I got from Amazon for around 10 bucks. Make sure you use one with at least 3 teeth in order to avoid/minimize scratching the back plate.

You also need a pin removal tool (about 1.50 bucks) in order to remove the bracelet/band for easy access. To move the regulator switch I used a wooden toothpick.

#14 · (Edited)
Hey Isthmus. My comment was not directed at you even though it immediately followed your post. I do appreciate your having provided some links and I did check them out.

So, thank you for your links and the trouble it took to post them. Thank you too for your complimentary comment about my intellect. It's alway nice to be recognized.

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.