WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wearing my Schafer Regulator for the four days since it arrived. It appears to be running about 20 - 30 seconds fast per day. I do not look forward to returning it to Hong Kong just for this problem. Should a reputable local watch maker be able to regulate the Seagull movement? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question - all my watch experience is with the other side of the world. ;-)

Thanks - Martin

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,193 Posts
I would recommend wearing the watch for another week to see if it settled down. Sometimes watches sit around for a while before purchase and can take a little bit of breaking-in.

However if it still concerns your, any watchmaker should be able to regulate that watch. If you can get the case open, then you can do it yourself.

On the attached picture you will see two arms radiating out from the centre of the balance assembly. The one with a single stud is the one that holds the end of the hairspring. Don't touch that one. The other arm has two studs and slides along the surface of the outer coil of the spring. This is the regulator. The '+' and '-' marks indicate which way to adjust. Use a toothpick or the back end of a matchstick to very gently nudge the arm in the desired direction. A tiny shift will make a big difference so be careful.

(by the way, if the hairspring is bulging out like in the picture, then definitely seek professional help)

Even if you decide not to do it yourself, you can see that it is not a complicated procedure and any watchmaker should be able to do a good job of it. Shop around to make sure you get a good price; you're not paying for rocket science.

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Regulating/Adjusting advice please - thank you

I am somewhat comfortable around mechanical devices - but I have never tried to do anything with a watch! :oops: I think I will let a watchmaker deal with opening the case and adjusting. However I will follow your advice and wait a bit before doing anything. Thank you.
Martin :thanks

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: Regulating/Adjusting advice please - thank you

I believe mechanical watches made in the East are normally set to be fast. It is always better to be early than to be late. For Miyota movements, the specifications is -10 to +30 seconds a day. I think it will slow down naturally, but I can understand it is quite irritating for a watch to run 20-30 seconds fast a day. May be you should wait for six months to see if the watch settle down.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Regulating/Adjusting advice please - another thank you

Interesting that watches from the East are set to run a bit fast. Any special reason? Actually, I am less bothered by a watch gaining time, than having one losing time [running slow]. I will heed both of you and wait for a while before doing anything. Thank you for the interest and advice. :thanks

Martin

·
Banned
4,999 Posts

I always thought cheaper watches tend to be set fast as watches tend to slow as they come close to needing service, that way you'll get more life out of a cheap watch since I'd trash a <$300 instead of service if it's out of warranty.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts

watches and speedometers, both set to run fast. You can tell that when you see minus 10 to +30 seconds don't you think? With watches it's a customer satisfaction issue. Most people prefer a watch run fast than slow. With speedometers, it's a liablility issue I'm assuming. Except, ironically enough, a fast speedometer slows you down. ditto for a fast watch perhaps.

Sean

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How to Regulate a Budget [!] Watch

Very interesting reference. Now I finally know the difference between "regulate" and "adjust". However - I still think watchful [;-)] waiting is my current best plan. Martin :thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts