WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a relative newcomer to HEQ, I have recently acquired both 1511 calibre and 1516 calibre Omega MC 2400s. Their present (off wrist) accuracies are around -50 and -90 secs per annum. Come battery change time, I just know I'm going to find tweeking that little trimming capacitor screw in the movement almost irresistable...:think:
My queries are: do any of you guys have any experience of this and/or does anyone know what kind of time error adjustment range is possible??

·
Registered
18,178 Posts
As a relative newcomer to HEQ, I have recently acquired both 1511 calibre and 1516 calibre Omega MC 2400s. Their present (off wrist) accuracies are around -50 and -90 secs per annum. Come battery change time, I just know I'm going to find tweeking that little trimming capacitor screw in the movement almost irresistable...:think:
My queries are: do any of you guys have any experience of this and/or does anyone know what kind of time error adjustment range is possible??
I have not tweaked either of those movement but have done a number of other early Omega quartz.

In my experience the change in timing is not linear. However, with incredible patience and a good quartz timing machine for instant feedback, you can adjust to whatever level you desire. Bear in mind, however, temperature variation will cause extreme precision to evaporate...

Are these 32K frequency movements? If so, finding a timing machine is possible. Indeed, your watchmaker probably has one.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have adjusted my OMC. The regulation is very sensitive to a small change in the trimmer position. You could easily go from -50 to +100 sec/yr and notice only a small change in position of the trimmer.

The adjustment is very trial and error. Make a small adjustment and see where it takes you, then another, etc.

I have a very accurate and relatively rapid method of watch timing and the entire adjustment procedure took a couple of days. If you have to do the adjustment using hand timing, then it will take much longer.

Just have patience, you will eventually get the job done.

If you are fortunate and have sufficient patience, I suspect that you can get the rate to within +- 5 sec/yr.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a few MQ2.4 and they range from 1/100th SPD to 1/80th SPD! In reality my two MQ2.4 stardusts vary about 1 second per month either on or off the wrist, my marine Chronometer has not skipped a beat in the month I have had it!

Cheers Tom

·
Registered
63 Posts
my newly purchased OMC 1511 has, as fare as I can see for now, a deviation of several seconds per day (!) compared to this clock http://www.uhrzeit.org/ :-s

I am a bit shocked and also feel the tickling in my fingers to try this adjustment screw in the back of the watch as it will go soon for service anway. Should be the right moment just to try it b-) Which direction to turn to make it run slightly faster? Clockwise?

Cheers, Gunnar

·
Registered
111 Posts
Remember these watches are not thermo compensated and they can lose or gain time quite considerably when exposed to extremes of temperature (as sad as it sounds I tried it, I left my MQ2.4 in the fridge for an hour and it has lost a couple of seconds).

Gunnar, I would say yours needs a service mate, TBH it isn't cheap but worth every penny, not only will your watch come back to you looking mint but you will have the satisfaction of knowing it will only deviate about a second a month or better, JonW's MC (which isn't recently serviced) only loses about 2 seconds a year!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot for the comments guys. Looking at my data to date, the OMCs both lose time at a consistent rate - which I guess is the important fundamental - so I'm definitely going to have a tweak.

As dwjquest implies, the trick sounds like it is going to be in getting that feedback method together so those final iterations don't take forever...! ;-)

Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts