WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of buying a quality vintage pocket watch movement that has been professionally re-cased in a modern wrist watch format? I just bought a Patek phillipe that was cased in 44mm size wrist watch, and no I did not spend an arm and leg, just under 2K.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would love to see the pictures.
I will post pictures of my own as soon as I receive it, in the meantime I posted a link to the sellers' photos ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422545077.366456.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422545085.969595.jpg

And a link to two more purchased ( yes I over did it, but the concept was intriguing to me)

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Good luck with that. Too many are fakes, from things I've read.

Reactions: inhaus

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
they are usually fake meaning legit pocket watch with a fake patek signature and the dials are usually repainted to have patek signatures. a good way to tell is if the dial looks brand new or fake vintage looking..

·
Registered
985 Posts
I would be concerned with shock resistance. As far as I'm aware the old pocket watch movements have very limited shock absorbance. Might be a little iffy for a person with an active lifestyle.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
they are usually fake meaning legit pocket watch with a fake patek signature and the dials are usually repainted to have patek signatures. a good way to tell is if the dial looks brand new or fake vintage looking..
Any way you can tell from the posted pictures?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would be concerned with shock resistance. As far as I'm aware the old pocket watch movements have very limited shock absorbance. Might be a little iffy for a person with an active lifestyle.
Point well taken, I am not going to use it on a daily basis, but every once in a while when I am nostalgic and such.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
can't say for sure, but it's highly suspect IMO, the dial looks new. Try and take some close up good quality pics when you get it and someone will likely chime in one way or the other. I will say 2k is STEEP for one of those franken watches though...

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
also looking at it, it appears that they might have repainted the dial and put the 12 oclock marker where the 9 would be to rotate the small seconds to the 9 position to make it look less like a pocket watch which screams red flag to me. The crown being aligned with the seconds at 9 and 3 kind of confirms that... I would say definitely repainted dial.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts