• Don't care.

Votes: 8 15.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should Rolex release a 36mm of the Explorer I and sell it along side the 39mm? They can rename it the mid-size Explorer I or something.

I would prefer a 36mm Explorer I as the current 39mm models are too large to be dressy.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I vote nay.
The cal 3132 wouldn't fit, would it? Its baseplate is larger. So they would need to get new smaller movement too.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I'd love a new 36mm Explorer but it would need a new or modified movement. The likelihood of that happening is low I'd say.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Not in my view. I may be in the minority, but I see nearly all of the changes to the Explorer to be positive. The 39mm size is more modern, yet still reserved by modern standards, and more fitting for the sporty roots of the watch. The white gold numerals also make the watch more classy/dressy. I would argue that the watch became both more masculine and more dressy with the size increase and change with the numbers. While one can quibble about the text position on the dial or the size of the hands relative to the dial, I do not find either of these to be troubling.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Not in my view. I may be in the minority, but I see nearly all of the changes to the Explorer to be positive. The 39mm size is more modern, yet still reserved by modern standards, and more fitting for the sporty roots of the watch. The white gold numerals also make the watch more classy/dressy. I would argue that the watch became both more masculine and more dressy with the size increase and change with the numbers. While one can quibble about the text position on the dial or the size of the hands relative to the dial, I do not find either of these to be troubling.
Excellent summation against a reissue; agree 100%.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
I would purchase a 36mm re-issue if Rolex releases one. Being Rolex, it would be done correctly. I would love to own both a 36mm and a 39mm version!

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
The Rolex Explorer 36mm version is absolutely beautiful! I saw this New Old Stock (not for sale; yes, I have asked three times to attempt to purchase it) one and had to take some happy snaps.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I'd be all over a new 36mm Explorer. The 39mm combined with the larger case is huge in comparison with my old 14270 which, quite frankly has seen better days. Nothing in the new Rolex line up does it for me these days and find my money going to other watch companies. The comment about requiring a redesigned movement for a smaller Explorer makes no sense, they can use the one in a 36mm OP.

·
Registered
580 Posts
In case you haven't looked around, Dress watches have grown and has been that way the pat 25+ years. There is absolutely no way the 39mm is too large for business attire. It has a pretty slim profile height, and low key appearance. If anything, the added size allows it to wear *much* better casually. Giving you a very versatile, modern, well built piece. The Explorer is a casual watch first. If someone wants 34-36mm they can look at the Ouster Perpetual line.

While the dial proportions look fine, worn casually on a regular sized adult doesn't do it for me. I highly doubt Rolex will go in that direction.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445832593.210344.jpg

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just want to add why the 36mm Explorer I is important. At first I thought the 39mm Exp 1 is a good size but after trying it on at a Rolex Boutique, I found it to be a bit too big for my petite Asian wrist.

Asian men of Chinese descend have small wrists and will need smaller watches for dressy occasions. A 42mm sports watch is the max most of us Asians can pull off without looking like a tool.

For dress watches or watches without a dive bezel, we will need a 36mm or below as anything bigger will overwhelm our small wrists. I would buy an Exp 1 in a heartbeat if the 36mm is rereleased with modern oysterlock bracelets and parachrom hairspring.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts