WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks! Not sure if this type of post belongs in the main forum or Image forum, so feel free to move it if it's not appropriate here!

But just wanted to share my new purchase (a little over a month ago) - the AquaTerra 15000 Gauss. I purchased from Topper's in Burlingame, CA (great store). I couldn't be happier with the watch. It keeps fantastic time (though I've not done a scientific test), and I actually love the bumblebee look. It "sports up" the AquaTerra look just a bit - the watch looks fantastic with everything from shorts and a polo to a suit (though I'd lean toward a dress watch in a truly formal situation).

Aside from the movement, the thing that struck me the most upon seeing it, as compared to all my other watches (which have been quartzes of the sub-$1000 variety) is the sheer depth of the face, for lack of a better term. The sharp hands, the raised markers at 5-min increments, and the "teak" pattern of the face combine to create a very "3D" effect that is quite striking.

Working in tech, the anti-magnetism will be nice, though of course not strictly necessary - just one less thing to worry about. Mainly I like the fact the watch is the first of its kind with this particular approach to anti-magnetism. As I understand it, Omega plan to eventually incorporate this tech into all of their watches, at which point the 15000 gauss branding will go away and it will simply be a feature of the movement. So, at worst, there's a uniqueness and story to the watch as "first of kind." At best, there's a slim chance it could become collectible down the line if the tech takes off.

The bracelet is also pretty awesome -- the only con is the mirror finish seems to scratch very easily from my desk (you can see the scratches in the last photo). Hopefully these can buff out when I have it maintained, though they aren't at all noticeable unless you're really looking because they naturally tend to be at the bottom of the band where my wrist rests on the desk.

Without further ado -- pics (apologies in advance for the darkness of the first two - the third is the best I think)!

IMG_20140514_154221.jpg IMG_20140514_154231.jpg IMG_20140514_154334.jpg IMG_20140514_154255.jpg

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Lovely wrist shot!

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Love this watch. I got to play with one of the first ones awhile back. I wanted to replace my current AT8500 with it but I couldn't get over the lack of the date border on them. How's your accuracy?

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
That's a cool looking watch with some impressive technology. Enjoy your Aqua Terra!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I love it but crikey you've scratched the hell out of that bracelet in a month!

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
I'm jealous. I love these.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Great watch! You may want to investigate ways to restore the finish yourself. Cape Cod cloth for the polished and either a fiberglass brush or VERY fine sandpaper such as 2400 or 3200 grit Micromesh can do wonders if you take your time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Definitely a interesting watch.
That seconds hand reminds me of some sort of a fighter jet or something for some unexplainable reason.
It'd be cool to see a time lapse photo of this.
See that bumble bee seconds hand sweep all the way around and leave a subtle yellow and black streak across the dial.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Love this watch. I got to play with one of the first ones awhile back. I wanted to replace my current AT8500 with it but I couldn't get over the lack of the date border on them. How's your accuracy?
Accuracy seems to be dead on, though I've not done any kind of scientific test.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Stunning watch :) Looks so nice in yellow :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stunning watch :) Looks so nice in yellow :)
Thanks! I honestly wasn't sure I'd like the yellow - looking at photos I was kind of on the fence. But when I saw the watch in person I was immediately sold. The whole effect of the face is pretty stunning. This was my first "expensive" (over $1000) watch, and having had it almost 2 months I still love the purchase with no hint of remorse (other than my messing up the bracelet) :p. So I think I made the right call!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts