WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

So, I bought my "Yeti" a year and change ago. Never used it all that much since I probably had like 2 dozen watches at the time and I rotate through them but it never gave me any problems. A few months ago, I noticed that the watch wasn't running so I started moving it around to get it to "charge" and the first thing I noticed was that the "rotor" (or whatever it uses) is moving too loosely and loud BUT I really don't remember if it always was this way or not. Anyway, after a few minutes of just moving it around, I see the seconds hand moving. A few seconds after, it starts skipping each couple of seconds (as it didn't have too much charge) and then... dead.
I repeat the process... same results.
I repeat the process for at least 20 minutes (that should be enough me-thinks.). This time it took longer to die but it still died...

I barely have time to look into things so I'm pretty sure I won't be opening it up! I don't think warranty is valid at this point? (and I bought it on eBay so, not sure how that would work or if Seiko would even give me the time of day -- pun intended).

Posting here to see if there's a place that can service these types of watches and if someone has experienced something similar?

If not, as a last resort I'll probably sell it on eBay as "parts"/not working because I'm pretty sure I won't be buying another one.
(and seriously, those prices online... WTF?! Saw a decent price on watchrecon the other day but it was withdrawn. Still north of $600 usually, just wow.)

Anyway, any suggestions/comments appreciated.

·
2,024 Posts
You may have to shake it like 1000 times and wear it for a while. Probably wont be covered under warranty but I wouldnt send my enemies watch to the Seiko service center in the US. You can do it yourself just watch a video or two on Youtube. Before you send it anywhere or try to repair shake the crap out of it for a good while several times throughout a day or two and see if it keeps charge.

Regards,

Ren

·
Premium Member
68,001 Posts
Nothing in the watch world compares with the amount of noise a Kinetic rotor makes (think express train going through a station).
It sounds like it’s flat as a pancake so to charge it you will need to twirl it for at least 10 to 15 minutes.

·
Registered
978 Posts
For some reason, these 5M85 rotors are loud - annoyingly so. But that's not a problem, just an annoyance.

Seems like it starts to work as it should as it charges up and runs a bit but maybe the battery is just shot because you never wear it so it's not acquiring and holding a charge so it fails to keep running - bad battery.

And before the Kinetic haters get on board and say the movement sucks.... It doesn't. But like ever rechargeable battery out there, they don't like to be completely depleted for long periods of time (if you run a Kinetic down to 0 and immediately charge it up, it's probably going to be fine) but, if left too long in a depleted state, might be impossible to revive requiring a battery change.

If you like the watch and charge it up completely (30 seconds on the power indicator) it's good for 6 months and all you have to do is wear it maybe 4 times a month to keep it going for well over a year. But if you don't wear it much and just let the battery go to 0, it's not the watch for you and you might think about flipping it.

I wear mine once or twice a week and it's been running for a few years without issue. But I only have about 5 watches in rotation.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi every one!
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try and shake the crap out of it then for a few minutes and a few days at a time!
If it doesn't charge and it is the battery, I'll see if there's something I can watch on Youtube to make the 'operation' myself.

Thanks!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Wear it when exercising, jogging, etc. It will charge up
This is my Sun043, she's been at full charge with only 10 minutes a day average jogging.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Pretty much what everyone else here has stated OP. The kinetic battery - or capicitor as Seiko calls it likes to have a lot of movement. It will take a lot of gentle back and forth movement to get her going again but fear not - I had an old Big Boss model (SKA293 I think? - it was the white dialed variant) and it was dead for years from the seller I bought it from. While I was waiting for the watch, I went to Ofei and bought a new capacitor kit. Needless to say the watch arrived first, and it started right up after about 15 minutes worth of movement, then another 15 minutes while watching the news and i was up to the 10 minute mark with the self check. In the end, I never had to change out the 5M62 capacitor, lol. Just takes time as the kinetics are attention needy and not great for larger watch collections - unless you rock an induction charger.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I have an SBCZ015 (5M62) which I don't wear that often. My daily and nightly routine is shaking the watch back and forth until the charge gets to the 30, it's my only JDM Seiko.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts