WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I am no vintage watch expert, but I do love the vintage watches. I have a special fondness for dive watches from the 60s and 70s. But my word!

Can someone please explain what would possess someone to relume a vintage original dial? I can count on one hand the good relume jobs I have seen. So why ruin an otherwise nice watch?

Please, people, stop the insanity!

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Hi Xman

I cant really say I view this is a problem... but I guess it depends on what you mean 'relume a vintage original dial'? If this is with regard to 60s/70s dive watches only, its not a field I would say I look at.... so some pics would be good as an example. If this is 'vintage' watches in general, I have had plenty of watches relumed.

Thats not to say I have not seen some dodgy reluming on Mumbai specials.... which is a good thing imo, its just another way to identify a watch I want to stay clear of!

Could it be you have seen more than a handful of good relumes.... 100s in fact, But you did not identify it as a relume, as it was well done? What i mean is... you only notice the bad relumes!

I realise im playing devils advocate here... but as I say, I have not really noticed this problem!

Cheers

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess you're right. I guess i just see so many sloppy relumes (just look at the B/S/T right now).

But why relume a vintage dive watch at all? Are people really buying these vintage watches to use as tool watches?

Anyway I guess to each their own...

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
First off, I am no vintage watch expert, but I do love the vintage watches. I have a special fondness for dive watches from the 60s and 70s. But my word!

Can someone please explain what would possess someone to relume a vintage original dial? I can count on one hand the good relume jobs I have seen. So why ruin an otherwise nice watch?

Please, people, stop the insanity!

I am no expert either, but I specialize in vintage prior to 1950.
AND
I am SO against either re-worked dials or cases. Many of the re-lumed dials I see are atrocious, nothing like the original timepiece
If a dial (or case) is so distressed then any re-work should be both minimal but more importantly exactly to the original. Neither adding or attempting to change what the OEM had created.

I can never accept that a re-worked dial as being acceptable.
It may be needed but ONLY as a final alternative

Good Thread
Regards
adam

Reactions: DD7

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Well, since most lume stops glowing after a decade or two, reluming is the only option if you still want your watch to glow. For a dive watch, glow is a major functional requirement, so if you want your watch to appear "authentic", you need to relume it once the original lume stops working. For older watches, the original lume is quite often radioactive (in some case, very highly so). That poses a serious risk for watchmakers who have to handle the uncased movements on a regular basis. Often, they will require that the original lume be removed as a function of accepting the work. So again, if you want to dial to have the "look" of the original, you need to have the lume reapplied with something non-radioactive.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
You lost me

No you haven't - Understand. I think I am losing the plot - must be the heat here.
My feeling is roughly the same
're-lumes' usually are terrible with the person thinking that it should look luminous in daylight and dark - i.e. HUGE THICK green paint.
My opinion, unless you can make a colour (deep orange/red) that a luminous what would look to-day, then better just to remove the lume and leave dial and hand clear

Regards

Reactions: phoobo

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I only relume modern dials and hands. Anything pre-80 stays original (if possible of course.) It kind of sucks because my lume is shot (obviously) on the older ones and I'd like to up the usefulness factor, but the tradeoff is a beautiful tritium patina. So beautiful that I relumed a modern diver to mimic it:

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Thats a nice job

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Drop of a hat, that is a brilliant re-lume job.
You got that down pat, I couldn't tell that from factory original.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is a brilliant relume. Maybe others would like to share their successful relume jobs (or disasters)...

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I wish I could say I had done it myself. I have a steady hand, but not THAT steady. MCWW's lume subcontractor did it. There was some last minute flaking and touching up so it ended up looking a bit less "factory", but yes, it is absolutely incredible. Unfortunately, my overall experience wasn't too good (for the full story, dig up my feedback thread) but that's for another time and place.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Like I say above... I have had a few relumes..

Here are a few to give you an idea... these all date pre 1930...

this Zenith is interesting... this 'THREAD' also shows the before pics.... it was a state!!

This Zenith turned out very nice IMO

https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/second-20s-zenith-up-running-also-stunner-650547.html

Some later watches that had some work...

This UG was also in a state...

Before:

After:

This thread gives more info...

https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/univ...er-days-anyone-know-good-redialer-564276.html

As I also say above... the only watch I have had redialed (above), I sold....

I have had the hands on this Hamilton Geneve relumed to match the dial (as the lume had started to come off)

The only one Im not so sure about...

It is a bit too orange/brown... looks worse in the pics... but give a good idea.

Still, I prefer that to bright green!!!

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Marc
Pretty good I agree but not perfect

Why the campaign lumed dial but not hands?
Dial is a GREAT re-lume. Let down by hands

Regards

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Why the campaign lumed dial but not hands?
Dial is a GREAT re-lume. Let down by hands
Hi Adam,

It was actually something discussed on the thread related to that watch. I agree... Cathedral hands would be better! But, as im sure you are aware, tracking down cathedral hands is not the easiest of tasks. Especially suitable ones that fit.

Im sure, in time, I will get the correct style hands on the watch.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
The restoration on that redial is impressive to say the least. I've got a Sportivnie made in '57 going to be delivered tomorrow that is in pretty bad shape on the exterior. The dial has some rust on it, and Stevie Wonder could see that the hands have been repainted, but the movement is in good shape and I only paid $5.50 for it.

I've been debating just what to do with it, but will be doing it myself. It's one with radium as the lume so I'll have to take that into account when I'm working on it. I heard that a 33% vinegar solution will take off the rust but don't know what direction I'll take it once I've got it cleaned up.

I do have experience customizing small items that take a steady hand and attention to fine detail and am fairly confident in my abilities to work with paint. I just don't have a set plan on what to do with it yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quite a few of these look like enamel dials - I guess removing and adding luminous paint does virtually no damage to the original dial - is that right?
BTW, nice collection.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Sometimes a relume is necessary, IMO. The original lume in the hands of my UG became unstable after they were removed for service, and began to flake. Rather than risk damaging the movement if some bits of the lume worked under the dial (not to mention having to look at the floaties on the dial), I send the watch to Jack at IWW. He color matched the patina with a non-glowing material. The result looks original.

Reactions: OCDood and joeuk
1 - 20 of 21 Posts