WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is common or not, but I often can't remember the date of the month, which is why all of my watches have a date function. It's common for me to glance down at my watch several times a day to get the date for whatever paperwork or online form I'm filling out that requires a date to be filled in.

I'll glance down at my watch, get the date and my mind temporarily holds the date for that brief moment it's needed, then...POOF...it gets zapped from my memory until it's needed again later in the day. Then, I inevitably have to glance down at my watch again.

The weird thing is that it's less of a problem for me to remember the day of the week. However, this does happen too on some rare occasions.

This is why my date watches like my Seiko SRPE here on a cheapie leather strap are so clutch.

Anyway, I'm curious to know if anybody else out there has this same little mental struggle.

Dan

·
Registered
50,325 Posts
Watches I wore to work had to have a date complication as I was constantly filling out forms that needed it.

I can usually remember the day….so a day date was never a priority for me.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly the same for me as well...

The funny thing is that you'd think that I'd remember the date after filling out the first several forms - but nope.

So, I appreciate and value having a date complication. I suppose that I could wear a no-date watch and just use my phone to get the date, but it's just not as convenient.

Glancing down at my watch to get the date gives me that little bit of joy.

Dan

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi guys, maybe my question so dumb but I've tried to search but can't find the answer, is there any automatic watch out there has the year feature? I mean it can tell what year is it right now, of course it will need to be reset at some point.

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
I like day dates If done well. Sometimes they are a bit verbose and take up too much space on the dial.

Reactions: Tjcdas

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi guys, maybe my question so dumb but I've tried to search but can't find the answer, is there any automatic watch out there has the year feature? I mean it can tell what year is it right now, of course it will need to be reset at some point.
I don't know of any automatic watches that show the year. This might be in the realm of perpetual calendar watches and those are in some heady pricing tiers.

Calendar Watch Buying Guide: Perpetual vs Annual Calendar Watches | WatchBox

If I ever get to the point where I can't remember the year...then, I've got big problems.

As someone whose native language is not english, it took me years to remember which one is the date and which one is the day. In portuguese we say the equivalent of "day" and "day of the week", so the confusion was extreme.
I interact internationally for work and I always have to remember that the date format used internationally is year/month/day (very logical) whereas in the US, it's month/day/year. I can't tell you how many times that I've gotten my messages crossed up.

My watch can't help me here - I gotta rely on the empty space between my ears.

Dan

Reactions: baodng91

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The worst time of the year for me is during the first few weeks of January.

Not only do I have a hard time remembering the date, but I almost always mess up and use the prior year instead of the new year. This was particularly embarrassing back when I used to write physical checks and I would write down the prior year on the check.

BTW - I just had to glance down at my watch to get today's date. ;-)

Dan

Reactions: CPTX

·
Premium Member
56,840 Posts
I like having this feature as well.

I travel quite a bit and sometimes the days can blur together, so when I need to get reoriented, I just glance down at my watch.......

·
Registered
540 Posts
I don't know if this is common or not, but I often can't remember the date of the month, which is why all of my watches have a date function. It's common for me to glance down at my watch several times a day to get the date for whatever paperwork or online form I'm filling out that requires a date to be filled in.

I'll glance down at my watch, get the date and my mind temporarily holds the date for that brief moment it's needed, then...POOF...it gets zapped from my memory until it's needed again later in the day. Then, I inevitably have to glance down at my watch again.

The weird thing is that it's less of a problem for me to remember the day of the week. However, this does happen too on some rare occasions.

This is why my date watches like my Seiko SRPE here on a cheapie leather strap are so clutch.

Anyway, I'm curious to know if anybody else out there has this same little mental struggle.

Dan
Same. I have a problem remembering Day of Month but no problem for Day of Week. Probably because I'm counting the days to the weekend. Hey, I just thought up a new complication. Instead of displaying the day of the week:
  • Monday: "5"
  • Tuesday: "4"
  • Wednesday: "3"
  • Thursday: "2"
  • Friday: "1"
  • Saturday: "0"
  • Sunday: "0"

Would also take less room on the dial.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a great idea - a weekday countdown timer to the weekend!

After all, aren't we all living for the weekends anyway?

Dan

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm so related to this post, because I always said that my memory quit working after I got my engineer title in '88, so I loved the expression "POOF...it gets zapped from my memory", because that happen to me so often than I couldn't remember, by the way, what was the OP refer to ? ;)

Reactions: Ranger276

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I remembering reading an article once that claimed we look at the time not necessarily to see what time it is, rather to see what time it isn't. Basically, "I need to do X at 3:00. Is it 3:00? No? Good."

Sounds similar with the date.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I will say that I don't care for the day-date complications, personally, the way they are usually executed.
Way back when it mattered:

I preferred the digital date, because it was the symbology that mattered - usually for some paperwork or other calendar work. But, I wanted the day graphically, because I didn't care what the name of the day was, just where we were in the work week. Pointer dates came with pointer days and digital dates with print days, mostly.

Of course, anyone can do the tiny mental hop to get past it, but it just wasn't ideal.
Now, there are probably some cool watches with a day slider/retrograde and a digital date, but I now don't really need either on a watch. Pointer dates still seem kind of less-useful to me.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Same. I have a problem remembering Day of Month but no problem for Day of Week. Probably because I'm counting the days to the weekend. Hey, I just thought up a new complication. Instead of displaying the day of the week:
  • Monday: "5"
  • Tuesday: "4"
  • Wednesday: "3"
  • Thursday: "2"
  • Friday: "1"
  • Saturday: "0"
  • Sunday: "0"

Would also take less room on the dial.
That's pretty good. You see something similar on cheap, wannabe chronograph homages. They'll have a Date, 24 hour, and a day wheel, but the days will be labeled 1-7. It's a great match compliment to the fake pushers.

Also, somebody suggested that one had watches such as Slow could add a day only complication for people retired or on vacation where the date is of no concern, but may need to know the day of the week.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts