WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is common or not, but I often can't remember the date of the month, which is why all of my watches have a date function. It's common for me to glance down at my watch several times a day to get the date for whatever paperwork or online form I'm filling out that requires a date to be filled in.

I'll glance down at my watch, get the date and my mind temporarily holds the date for that brief moment it's needed, then...POOF...it gets zapped from my memory until it's needed again later in the day. Then, I inevitably have to glance down at my watch again.

The weird thing is that it's less of a problem for me to remember the day of the week. However, this does happen too on some rare occasions.

This is why my date watches like my Seiko SRPE here on a cheapie leather strap are so clutch.

Anyway, I'm curious to know if anybody else out there has this same little mental struggle.

Dan

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly the same for me as well...

The funny thing is that you'd think that I'd remember the date after filling out the first several forms - but nope.

So, I appreciate and value having a date complication. I suppose that I could wear a no-date watch and just use my phone to get the date, but it's just not as convenient.

Glancing down at my watch to get the date gives me that little bit of joy.

Dan

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi guys, maybe my question so dumb but I've tried to search but can't find the answer, is there any automatic watch out there has the year feature? I mean it can tell what year is it right now, of course it will need to be reset at some point.
I don't know of any automatic watches that show the year. This might be in the realm of perpetual calendar watches and those are in some heady pricing tiers.

Calendar Watch Buying Guide: Perpetual vs Annual Calendar Watches | WatchBox

If I ever get to the point where I can't remember the year...then, I've got big problems.

As someone whose native language is not english, it took me years to remember which one is the date and which one is the day. In portuguese we say the equivalent of "day" and "day of the week", so the confusion was extreme.
I interact internationally for work and I always have to remember that the date format used internationally is year/month/day (very logical) whereas in the US, it's month/day/year. I can't tell you how many times that I've gotten my messages crossed up.

My watch can't help me here - I gotta rely on the empty space between my ears.

Dan

Reactions: baodng91

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The worst time of the year for me is during the first few weeks of January.

Not only do I have a hard time remembering the date, but I almost always mess up and use the prior year instead of the new year. This was particularly embarrassing back when I used to write physical checks and I would write down the prior year on the check.

BTW - I just had to glance down at my watch to get today's date. ;-)

Dan

Reactions: CPTX

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a great idea - a weekday countdown timer to the weekend!

After all, aren't we all living for the weekends anyway?

Dan

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
When I'm on vacation, it's easy to forget what day it is.
This is one of the best feelings - that's when you know you're enjoying your vacation and not caring about work.

And as another mentioned...I think for me it's all about context and association. Each day has some key activity that helps me remember the day of the week.

Monday = First day of work
Tuesday = Taco Tuesdays
Wednesday = Garbage pickup
Thursday = Physical therapy
Friday = Last day of work
Saturday = Chores/errands
Sunday = Golfing, biking, hiking, etc

This makes it easy to remember the day of the week. Whereas the numerical date has much less consistent ties to an event or activity.

Dan

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Even if I glance at the date on my computer desktop or phone, I'll forget it as soon as I start working on something.

Day of the week isn't an issue.

It's so weird.

Dan

Reactions: Crankshaft

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Two reasons for it.

1) It's an adaptation of short-term memory. You can only hold so much between your ears. The ease of referencing the date has caused your mind to not bother spending the energy remembering. I interact with a ton of data every work day and it's wild how little sticks in my head for even a minute. But I've already written it down and moved on.

2) The day of the week has more story/narrative/images associated compared to the arbitrary number of the date. The human mind retains images and narrative more easily than isolated data points. That's why the story method (aka link method) works: you can more easily remember a list by creating a fictional story, linking one made-up image to another in sequence.
Hey Chrono Brewer,

Thanks for the explanation. This makes so much sense. It's definitely the narrative and event association for me that makes it easy to remember the day of the week.

Like today...as an example, it's Taco Tuesday and I'm looking forward to munching on some tacos for lunch.

I guess since having the date always available either on my watch or desktop, my mind doesn't bother with trying to retain that little bit of information.

Maybe, it might be worthwhile to try a dateless watch to "exercise" my mind and get it to retain information. It's kinda like eating your veggies and working out - not enjoyable but good for you.

I'm cringing at the thought of not having a date window, but I might give it a try.

Dan

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
No idea why but I can remember what movement is in a watch I've never even seen in person but the date? I can look at it and 10 minutes later can't tell you.
True sign of a watchaholic. 😆

• Haha
Reactions: Jeklotz

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I'm looking forward to retirement - that's when the date won't matter to me as much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts