WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
749 Posts
I’m the same about what phase of the moon today is. Glad to have a mechanical reminder.

Seriously though, I have the same issue you describe. Frequently check the date on my watch. The number has more transient and varying meaning than Sunday (church day), Saturday (house chores day), etc.

· Premium Member
749 Posts
Hi guys, maybe my question so dumb but I've tried to search but can't find the answer, is there any automatic watch out there has the year feature? I mean it can tell what year is it right now, of course it will need to be reset at some point.
Perpetual calendars display the year, not because we so frequently forget but because it’s an impressive feat of engineering. An annual calendar’s program wheel must account for the varying lengths of months and be corrected once annually for February. So how much cooler when a perpetual calendar’s program wheel accounts for all month lengths in a four-year cycle. It still would need replacement at the turn of a century (another leap year variation). But those mechanisms are relatively delicate, not to mention expensive.

· Premium Member
749 Posts
Even if I glance at the date on my computer desktop or phone, I'll forget it as soon as I start working on something.

Day of the week isn't an issue.

It's so weird.

Dan
Two reasons for it.

1) It's an adaptation of short-term memory. You can only hold so much between your ears. The ease of referencing the date has caused your mind to not bother spending the energy remembering. I interact with a ton of data every work day and it's wild how little sticks in my head for even a minute. But I've already written it down and moved on.

2) The day of the week has more story/narrative/images associated compared to the arbitrary number of the date. The human mind retains images and narrative more easily than isolated data points. That's why the story method (aka link method) works: you can more easily remember a list by creating a fictional story, linking one made-up image to another in sequence.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts