WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
to AiMacrest, I have lots of fun with the German word 'also' and regret my age when I think about how much effort I expended to learn the German type fonts, and now they use typical roman fonts.
To Leadbelly I point to the IWC Portuguieser which also have that 'complete calendar 'feature and similar high price.
And to the beginning of this discussion, Yes, If they do not have day/date, I do not wear them. At my retirement party somebody seriously informed me that 'remember, Sunday is the day for the big fat newspaper" I thought it was a joke until I had been able to set my activity schedule with nearly complete independence for a few months. Now even that is not informative, because I read three (at least) newspapers a day but only online. I am waiting for delivery of a new watch. Mechanical, and will show the date with a separate hand point to numbers on the outer rim of the dial.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't know if this is common or not, but I often can't remember the date of the month, which is why all of my watches have a date function. It's common for me to glance down at my watch several times a day to get the date for whatever paperwork or online form I'm filling out that requires a date to be filled in.

I'll glance down at my watch, get the date and my mind temporarily holds the date for that brief moment it's needed, then...POOF...it gets zapped from my memory until it's needed again later in the day. Then, I inevitably have to glance down at my watch again.

The weird thing is that it's less of a problem for me to remember the day of the week. However, this does happen too on some rare occasions.

This is why my date watches like my Seiko SRPE here on a cheapie leather strap are so clutch.

Anyway, I'm curious to know if anybody else out there has this same little mental struggle.

Dan
I do. I really require a date and day on my watches because then I don't have to pause my thinking and remember what date it is, or worse yet, having to ask my wife. I have been retired for many years, and sometimes the days blend seamlessly together.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I'm looking forward to retirement - that's when the date won't matter to me as much.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I live under a spell in that when I look at my watch to know the date, I’m always wearing one without date complications.*

I like day/date complications when they are set and working, but I find setting them to be annoying as I’m not wearing the same watch for long periods of time.

* this is, of course, a psychological bias

61 - 67 of 67 Posts