WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys - sorry if this has been covered before, but it's been a while since I've been thinking about watches or on this site.

Anyhow, I recently got an aluminum Apple Watch and immediately replaced the strap with a pseudo-Zulu style strap from ClockWork Synergy. Overall, i'm happy wiht it, but the big bulky rings are kind of starting to annoy me. Here's how the buckle ends up being positioned on my wrist:

Wrist Fashion accessory Bracelet Finger Jewellery

Basically, it's this big lump right under my writst, which gets in the way when typing, etc.

Has anyone tried removing the bigass strap retaining rings, and replaced them with a small piece of webbing? Would that look totally weird?

·
Premium Member
38,761 Posts
Agree. Cloth keepers are way more comfortable and do not bulk up under your wrist.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
RAF straps and G10 NATO straps are about half the thickness of a Zulu strap, so the first thing you need to decide is whether you prefer the thickness of the Zulu or if you want to go thinner.

If you want to stay 'thick', then you can cut the rings off and make a fabric keeper. If you want something a little thinner, then here's the solution. Since 24mm RAF straps don't seem to exist, you can take a 24mm NATO and convert it into an RAF strap by following the instructions in this thread.

Making A 1960S Raf Style Strap From A Modern G10 Nato Style Strap - Tinkerers Corner - The Watch Forum

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Or you could move the watch head closer to the buckle, which removes the issue of the rings. In fact, as a writer, I find that anything under my wrist to be annoying. So, I wear my watch like mentioned every day. Good luck!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yeah, you need to move the watch head closer to the buckle so that it buckles on the side and leaves the bottom of your wrist with just a strap under it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts