WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, some of you know I recently picked up a chrono avenger, and I love it. But, it was showing some signs of aging. Lot's of small desk diver type fine scratches, and even a few pretty good sized scratches. I've read about using an ink eraser to remove the scratches and I thought I would give it a try. I'm sure plenty of you have already done this yourselves, but for those of you who haven't, HAVE NO FEAR! It was really quite easy.

First, I cleaned the watch with just water.

Then I used the eraser and I follow the grain of the titanium, not the scratches.

After I was satisfied with the outcome, I used a soft toothbrush and some regular tooth paste and brushed the watch to give it a little polish. I never touched the crystal, be careful of that I'm sure. Here's a few pics, the Before and After are pretty obvious, so I won't label them, haha.

Here's the eraser I used, pretty standard, only cost a dollar.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Not a bad result. :-!

Andy

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
9,317 Posts
Nice job! Who would have thought but it makes perfect sense to use an ink eraser on Ti. I thought the bezel might be a bit tricky but there is nothing to stop you shaping the eraser with a sharp blade to make a tool of any shape required to address hard to get at surfaces. Well done and lets see a few more shots of the face and pushers.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Holy crap that looks great! Does the eraser only work on Titanium or can it be used for steel as well? Also which side of the eraser did you use? Was it the toothpaste that got the scratches out or the eraser? Either way, label me very impressed.

NM

·
Registered
103 Posts
That's absolutely great!

I wonder if Breitling Ti will develop "patina" over time? In the Panerai forums, there was even discussion abt soaking a Ti Pam in Oxyclean to accelerate the oxidation/patina.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Bumping an old thread with a question...

Is it the ink eraser that removes the scratches? Or the toothbrush/polish?

I've been going at some blemishes for a good amount of time with the ink eraser and not seeing much of a difference.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Bumping an old thread with a question...

Is it the ink eraser that removes the scratches? Or the toothbrush/polish?

I've been going at some blemishes for a good amount of time with the ink eraser and not seeing much of a difference.
As stated earlier in the thread: it's the ink erasor. Blemishes is something else than light surface scratches though.

Kind regards,

Cinq

·
Registered
179 Posts
I sometimes use one of those nail buffers (NOT a nail file) to polish my Ti bracelets with great results too. But I think the ink eraser is better, as it's more flexible and produces an even result.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have been posting about titanium refinishing for years because I can't stop buying ti Breitlings. In my experience, to get a factory finish on titanium, you actually need either #000 followed by #0000 steel wool; or red, then grey and finally yellow scotchbrite. The commonly sold green scotchbrite usually won't give a factory finish but rather a more brushed finish to titanium. It is the progressively finer abrasive that will yield a far better result. All-in-all it takes about fifteen minutes to make an 80% ti watch look near to new...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.