WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Morning,

So all of these threads about modding alpha and invicta subs to resemble mil-subs and bonds have got me wants to make one of my own.

What is the standard [easiest] way to remove a cyclops that won't damage the crystal underneath.

I did a search but didn't find a S.O.P. that worked the best.

on a side note, where is the best place to get the striped NATO straps? Those things look fantastic. Thanks!

*EDIT* I currently have an 8926 with a scalloped bezel that I would like to BOND up a bit...is there a coin edge bezel out there that would fit my 8926 that I could swap for?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
I've read a few posts where guys take a hammer and chisel/screwdriver and very carefully hit the cylcops on the side to knock it off. The actual separation of the cyclops from the crystal should not damage the crystal. But scraping the face of the crystal with the tools will do some damage.

But just the other day, I read where someone heated the cyclops with a cigarette lighter for a few seconds and managed to slip an exacto blade / razor blade underneath it and pry it off.

Striped Natos can be purchased from International Watchman for $8 or dmh for $12. Others include westcoasttime, broadarrow, & timefactors.

Cheers,
gigfy

·
Registered
23,402 Posts
The older Invictas with the coin edge bezels have 39-40mm diameter bezels and the newer ones with the scalloped bezels have a 42mm diameter. Swapping out the bezels may be tedious at best as they are not interchangeable. As for Bond Natos, I heard a lot of great things about the Maratac line, cheers! ;-)

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
The older Invictas with the coin edge bezels have 39-40mm diameter bezels and the newer ones with the scalloped bezels have a 42mm diameter. Swapping out the bezels may be tedious at best as they are not interchangeable. As for Bond Natos, I heard a lot of great things about the Maratac line, cheers! ;-)
The 8926 (40mm) came in both the coin edge and also the scalloped edge bezels. Not sure if the scalloped edge was called a 8926 but it was the exact same watch excluding bezel perimeter.

I'm not familiar with the newer 42mm models but I would agree that they would not fit.

As for a cheaper watch with coin edge (one of the many Sub homages) you would have to find one that uses the same design. This may lead to some problems.

Cheers,
gigfy

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
These are listed as 42mmX13mm & 43mmX14mm respectively. I think these are both the 40mm (not including crown) versions but are mistakenly listed using the width including crown.

But I may be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time .... today! :-d

8926OB

I used to own the 8926OB and it was the exact same size as my Alpha Subs at 40mm not including crown.

Cheers,
gigfy

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah from my recollection the 8926OB and 8926 Scalloped were the same exact watch with other bezel differences. [the result of the Rolex lawsuit]

I was curious if anyone found a coin edge bezel [not from Invicta] that fit the Invicta case...but I guess I can wait/hope for a DOTD site to puts up the coin edge some time in the near future. Or just grab an Alpha and the NATO

I guess it wouldnt look horrible if the bezel was the scalloped one...

I am so freaked out about trying to remove the cyclops...knowing me bringing a razor near any of my watches may not end well :-d

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've read a few posts where guys take a hammer and chisel/screwdriver and very carefully hit the cylcops on the side to knock it off. The actual separation of the cyclops from the crystal should not damage the crystal. But scraping the face of the crystal with the tools will do some damage.

But just the other day, I read where someone heated the cyclops with a cigarette lighter for a few seconds and managed to slip an exacto blade / razor blade underneath it and pry it off...
I have personally installed many cyclops/magnifying lenses and recently felt the need to remove one after a few months. I first tried using a light weight (jeweler's type) hammer and a single edged razor blade, but it wouldn't budge. I then tried saturating/soaking the crystal and cyclops in various solvents, e.g., alcohol, fingernail polish remover, "Goof Off", etc. but it still wouldn't budge.

I recently read the same tip and heated the cyclops with a Bic lighter and was quite surprised how easily it popped off with an exacto knife.

On mine, there wasn't any additional residue that had to be removed; it came off nice and clean.

I think next time, I may experiment with heating the cyclops with a small soldering iron for a few seconds instead of using a lighter.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
The absolute best way to remove a magnifier without any possibility of damage to anything is the replace the crystal.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The absolute best way to remove a magnifier without any possibility of damage to anything is the replace the crystal.
well sure...if you wanna be all correct about it and everything...:-!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts