WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There have been a few questions on how to remove the half link on a Spacemaster bracelet (This includes the Magnate GMT since it uses the same bracelet). Here is a few photos to show how to drive out the pin with a bracelet tool. Key is to line it up straight and drive it out the other side. After the pin is out the screw can be removed and off comes the link.
(Note these photos show the pins start to be driven out the other side)

Here is a picture of the pin out. As Joe pointed out below the keeper rests in the center link and be careful it slips right out once it is separated. This collar needs to be moved to the new link.
In this picture you can see the collar in the middle of the link:

Here you can see the snap in the middle of the pin. Note the extra long drive pin for the tool. This is needed to get the pin fully out of the collar.

When replacing the pin in the remaining links and the dive extension push it in as far as possible by hand. Then used the end block on the pin to to press it in flush to the link edge. Next use the pin tool to set it. I could hear it snap into place and it appeared to be centered on both sides as shown here.

Here is a picture of two tools that work for this job.

As a note the Orbital has two half links on each side. In can be removed with the screws and the other with this procedure.

One last tip. I have a small cutting board that has a gravy groove about 1" by .5" deep to do this work on. This way if something rolls it gets caught in the groove.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Michael, IIRC from sizing my Spacemaster, the clasp link is a pin and collar design. So if all you need to take off is a half link from each side, you would need to remove the collars from inside the half links and place them in the next full link or else the pins will not seat properly in the links. Let me know if I am mistaken!

~Joe

·
11,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Michael, IIRC from sizing my Spacemaster, the clasp link is a pin and collar design. So if all you need to take off is a half link from each side, you would need to remove the collars from inside the half links and place them in the next full link or else the pins will not seat properly in the links. Let me know if I am mistaken!

~Joe
Joe you are correct I missed it. I have updated above and thanks for pointing this out.

·
11,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've added two tools that work for me. The black one is a from Otto Frei for about $16. Order the longer tips to push this all the way through. The other came from Amazon. I have about ten different tools for sizing. These two I use the most.

Reactions: Yarvis

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
wow, dint know ball uses the same system as citizen watches.

cool, now I know my tools would work on the bracelet too.

thanks for sharing!

·
11,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow, dint know ball uses the same system as citizen watches.

cool, now I know my tools would work on the bracelet too.

thanks for sharing!
Remember the other side of the link and the rest of the links use a screwdriver.

·
11,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you did not see my other post Ball started shipping these with Loctite on the screws. This can be softened by running under hot water for about 30 seconds before attempting to remove the screws.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts