WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

removing strap pins on a TT1

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  timefleas 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a SS TT1, with the rubber strap--love the watch, dislike the strap--and would like to replace it either with the SS Oris bracelet (anyone have one they want to get rid of!?) or a custom made leather strap from one of the forum folks here. My question is, how to remove the lug pins? Both sides have rounded top surfaces, so 'unscrewing' them isn't an option, so I imagine they must be punched out--can mere mortals do this at home (I have all kinds of tools), or is this a service-center only operation? If anybody has any kind of experience with this, would love to hear from you. Thanks!

#6 ·
The straps for the Oris Divers are VERY limited because they are 24mm (I think) but the ends are only 10-11 mm in order to fit between the lugs. So the options are the steel band, the rubber band or something custom. A guy in Spain (his info is somewhere in the Oris forum) makes custom leather bands for Oris divers. About $104 shipped.

#9 ·
After trying, and breaking, two different robust pin-remover/bracelet tools, I would like to strongly support Forum Moderator Chris's advice to take the watch to a repair center--the pins must be tapped out using a specially made anvil with a jeweler hammer. Using a pin remover will inevitable break the push-in tip, and could likely end up scratching the case in the process, as the bent tip slides away from the hole. The punch out by a jeweler, on the other hand, takes five minutes, and cost anywhere from nothing (you bought the watch at that store), to $15 or so. And, wow! What a beautiful SS bracelet Oris makes for the TT1--it is heavy, elegant and looks better than just about any other brand, including the big "R", I have ever seen!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.