WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here. I 'd like to get some honest opinions based on the actual experience of buying and owning any of the Renato watches--both the product and the service. Are they a good value. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Isn't the Renato a boutique brand from Daniel Mink made specifically for ShopNBC?

I think you can get a much better watch for your money from any of the more "established" watch makers that are bandied about on this and other fora. Think Oris, Tissot, etc.......

That is my honest opinion.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I can't seem to get into the styling of any of the models.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Same here, there isn't much known about the brand or the origins of their watches. They "appear" to be great quality and solidly made but apparently within the WUS community they are far and few between. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hi slt:) Welcome to the board. I don't know much about Renalto watches, other than Daniel Mink, big cases and bracelets/straps, 300m-and sapphire crystals on most. They appear to be fashion, bling, but don't know where they are made. 400-3000 sound about right for price?

If you have any scoop-or pics-don't be shy.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I own the Titanium Beast w/ rubber strap. Renato's are excellent built watches, the fit, finish and quality of materials on mine are pretty much perfect. It does look good. Plus I've seen on another forum where Renato's customer service is top rate, almost second to none.

Now to this dumb old country boy, my Citizen Eco-Drives and even my Orient Blue Mako (at less than half the price)are excellent watches and look to be top notch built with the use of top grade materials (except for the sapphire crystal) so what do I know, LOL.

I do agree with some of the other posters here on "established" watch makers, styling of some of the models, over the top and the bling factor, that is why I got the one I did. It was more "regular" looking than some of the other models. It's my understanding that they are pretty much Swiss made but D. Mink won't put it on the dial because he uses parts from Italy, France or wherever(straps, dial material etc...), so other than that I don't know where they are made.

One of your questions were "Are they a good value"? I guess you will have to decide that. If you see a model that speaks to you and you feel like the price is right then go for it and wear it well!

Here's a pic. I'm not a photographer but it's the best I could do.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I've never owned a Renato but I've watched alot of their snbc shows.
I think it all comes down to their "look".
They're pretty unique, which I give them credit for.
They tend to be over-priced on the whole for what they are but you won't find a similar look in other brands.
I'd advise a large wrist!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I've heard about Daniel Mink's claims that his watches are made in Switzerland, but he does not put Swiss Made on the dial for ethical reasons. I question this kind of claim. Most knowledgeable watch buyers and collectors already understand that under present Swiss guidelines, Swiss Made allows for the incorporation of a certain percentage of imported parts in any Swiss made watch today. So if his watches qualify for the moniker, why not put it on the dial. Everyone else does. It is smart business. If his watches are not Swiss Made, why even bring it up.

The watches appear to be well made. Some of the styles do not appeal to me, but some do. However, I've never quite gotten past some of the sales rhetoric I've heard from the owner. If he is disembling on this point, what else would he disemble on? What about warranty service? How good is his company at honoring it, etc. Unfortunately for most of us, the only way to find out is when something about the watch goes badly.

The only reason why that comes to my mind is that D. Mink want to sell his watches at a Swiss Made price point. If so, then simply abide by the guidelines and do it. Otherwise, it appears as if he's trying to pull a fast one IMO. That alone turns me away from buying his products. Does anyone else feel this way about not only the Renato brand, but any other brand that seems to be doing things like this to sell their wares?

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I've heard about Daniel Mink's claims that his watches are made in Switzerland, but he does not put Swiss Made on the dial for ethical reasons. I question this kind of claim. Most knowledgeable watch buyers and collectors already understand that under present Swiss guidelines, Swiss Made allows for the incorporation of a certain percentage of imported parts in any Swiss made watch today. So if his watches qualify for the moniker, why not put it on the dial. Everyone else does. It is smart business. If his watches are not Swiss Made, why even bring it up.

The watches appear to be well made. Some of the styles do not appeal to me, but some do. However, I've never quite gotten past some of the sales rhetoric I've heard from the owner. If he is disembling on this point, what else would he disemble on? What about warranty service? How good is his company at honoring it, etc. Unfortunately for most of us, the only way to find out is when something about the watch goes badly.

The only reason why that comes to my mind is that D. Mink want to sell his watches at a Swiss Made price point. If so, then simply abide by the guidelines and do it. Otherwise, it appears as if he's trying to pull a fast one IMO. That alone turns me away from buying his products. Does anyone else feel this way about not only the Renato brand, but any other brand that seems to be doing things like this to sell their wares?
If they met the definition of "Swiss Made" you can bet your last nickel it would be on the dial and they would be hyping that highly.

·
Registered
676 Posts
This is just a personal prejudice but ... I would avoid a brand (not just watches) that sold primarily through a TV shopping channel.
I do not feel so strongly about eBay brands for some reason.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info and the insight. I think I'll avoid buying one. I just wanted to get an idea of what other folks thought.

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
daniel mink is swiss made and its on the dial. I seem to own quite a few of there divers. no need to guess or give a opinion about a brand without doing alittle research huh? they have 2 markets. theres a service center in the states also. renato is a shopnbc brand. nothing swiss about them. they have zero resale value. prices are always inflated. think invicta and you get the idea.

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
probably why there not popular here. its hard enough picking through invictas watches to find good ones. its too much to as to have to go through another brand also.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wanted to like them...ordered one (titanium wilde beast) and promptly sent it back.

All Renato's seem very ghetto to me. Very overpriced for the cheap movements too.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts