WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Agat 60 minute stopwatch that I had just finished running for six weeks to get the pivot points a bit broken in. It was stopped when it fell about a meter onto a stone floor and now the balance is out of its jewels.
Is this possible to repair by removing the screw positioning the balance with a forceps and re-tightening the screw or is more involved? I do not see any shock protection on the jewel I can see, is it likely that the balance is broken?

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
I think it is likely broken. I don't know how the balance mech. could move (short of the screw holding the balance cock being loose) in order to allow the narrow portion of the shaft to come out of the bearing. One thing you could try, if the balance shaft slides back and forth around the jewel without too much force then you can bet the portion of the shaft that should be in the bearing is still there (broken off) because if it was still intact and out of the bearing, it would be hard to move and probably bent anyway. However, it is possible to do what you want to do as long as no damage has been done to the shaft (unlikely).

Good luck!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
When I opened it up I found the balance wheel to be balanced at an off angle so I think the shaft is bent the points are still pointed and it can run if the balance cock is loosened. Is a microscopic lathe or drill chuck used to bend this back into correct shape?
It is too bad as I liked the bold font on the face and used this for aircraft navigation, I was considering adding lume for night flights. A digital/quartz doesn't have the at-a-glance visibility of a mechanical needle on a large face.
Can anyone suggest a stronger 60 minute or more stopwatch in the budget category? For the price I would consider another Agat but wonder if this as strong as an average stopwatch gets. With 16 jewels I had hoped to get decades not weeks out of it but sometimes things fall down in daily life.
The balance wheel on this Agat is heavy steel compared to most watches.

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
I got curious and looked on ebay. I don't know what you consider "budget" but there is this one that is 16 jewel shock-protected that you could make an offer on. Black dial with white numbers that don't appear to be lumed, unfortunately:

US AGAT ZLATOUST STOPWATCH mechanical shock protection | eBay

Also there's always the option to buy the cheapest one and swap out balances.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I will have to look but I believe my watch also has that so called shock protection shown on that auction, but since the balance wheel is so heavy the impact still bent the shaft or wheel. I wish they sold silicone cases for stowatches like they do for smartphones. Buying the cheapest used watch for the balance sounds like a good idea, the watch is easy enough to disassemble and reassemble and I would have a second dial to paint with lume as an experiment. I took the stopwatch completely apart and back with some sharpened screwdrivers and some surgical forceps. It is obviously important to remember to let the spring down first but to also click the crown into run mode position as otherwise the brake lever will push on the balance wheel making it impossible to seat into its jewels, something I did not expect never having opened a stopwatch for repairs before. I ordered a cheap pin vice that should fit the balance wheel and shaft so I can turn it in my hands and see it is back to true or clearly snapped off from ham hands.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After opening my Agat I see it has no shock protection, maybe need to fix mine as a backup and get a better stopwatch, I can paint lume over the white markings on that black dial. I have ordered a pin vice to see if I can fix the current balance.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
fliegher,

While new ones are offered by JL, pre-owned Zlatoust stopwatches turn up on eBay very often, and I have a pair of them sold by Sekonda, the single-button and the two-button variants I got off eBay UK very inexpensively. Of course they were sold by distributors in other countries under their own labels such as Marathon as well, so it is worth casting your net a little wider. Just out of interest, I sold my Swiss stopwatch I had used since the early 80s with a quite respected brand name on it, and it's more than enough to cover the cost of acquiring both my Zlatousts, and in terms of engineering the Zlatousts are way ahead: a Swiss stopwatch with seven jewels would be considered luxe de luxe supreme but the single-button Zlatoust has 15 and did not even make much of a point about it. If I were you I'd wait for another Zlatoust to turn up for like $20 and then mod it to my heart's content!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts