WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm curious if someone can point me in a certain direction here. My question is focused on a specific watch, but perhaps there is value to others who have other older Omega watches.

Let's say you have an Omega watch that's no longer in production and you send it to Swatch for service. Is there some good way to check to see what they may replace the movement and/or dial with if they think those parts would need replacement? Not sure how much old stock they carry if it's something from decades ago.

In my case, it would be an old Omega Dynamic with the 1108 calibre and the dial that those had at the time. Do they swap out the 1108 with a newer calibre if they think it needs to be replaced? What about replacement dials that are no longer in production?

Thanks!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I don't know about Omega but I've had an old Rolex serviced. After disassembly & inspection they typically notify you what parts should be replaced. In my case it was only the dial & hands 'cause the lume was dead. I just told them I didn't want those cosmetic parts replaced.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm curious if someone can point me in a certain direction here. My question is focused on a specific watch, but perhaps there is value to others who have other older Omega watches.

Let's say you have an Omega watch that's no longer in production and you send it to Swatch for service. Is there some good way to check to see what they may replace the movement and/or dial with if they think those parts would need replacement? Not sure how much old stock they carry if it's something from decades ago.

In my case, it would be an old Omega Dynamic with the 1108 calibre and the dial that those had at the time. Do they swap out the 1108 with a newer calibre if they think it needs to be replaced? What about replacement dials that are no longer in production?

Thanks!
Replacing an entire movement is a rare thing with most watches, so unless your watch was completely flooded with water and the movement is rusted to a solid lump, they won't be replacing your Cal. 1108, they will just replace the parts that are worn.

For dials, Omega has a wide selection of older dials. Omega state that they will carry parts for watches for a minimum of 20 years after the model is discontinued, but I can still get replacement parts like dial, cases, etc. for watches that are much older. The older the watch is, the more likely that stock has been depleted, and if that is the case Omega would strip and reprint the dial if needed.

For movement parts I can still get all the parts needed for movements that haven't been made for 50 years, so you will be fine.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Replacing an entire movement is a rare thing with most watches, so unless your watch was completely flooded with water and the movement is rusted to a solid lump, they won't be replacing your Cal. 1108, they will just replace the parts that are worn.

For dials, Omega has a wide selection of older dials. Omega state that they will carry parts for watches for a minimum of 20 years after the model is discontinued, but I can still get replacement parts like dial, cases, etc. for watches that are much older. The older the watch is, the more likely that stock has been depleted, and if that is the case Omega would strip and reprint the dial if needed.

For movement parts I can still get all the parts needed for movements that haven't been made for 50 years, so you will be fine.

Cheers, Al
Thanks! This is really good info. I believe that the Omega Dynamic III Automatic was last produced in the late 90s. So, 20+ years ago and I should be in good shape here.

It's a more basic Omega that works well with straps and kinda has a military watch homage look to it so I'm hoping to keep it around.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Thanks! This is really good info. I believe that the Omega Dynamic III Automatic was last produced in the late 90s. So, 20+ years ago and I should be in good shape here.

It's a more basic Omega that works well with straps and kinda has a military watch homage look to it so I'm hoping to keep it around.

View attachment 15926888
I just checked and the dial and hands are still available for your 52005000 Dynamic. However, the new dials and hands would not be tritium, so they would be luminova replacements.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just checked and the dial and hands are still available for your 52005000 Dynamic. However, the new dials and hands would not be tritium, so they would be luminova replacements.

Cheers, Al
Thanks. Just curious but where did you find that information?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am a watchmaker, and I have access to the Omega Extranet, which is where technical information and parts ordering is done - it is not a publicly available site, as Omega requires watchmakers to be certified by them before granting access.
Quick question if I may. I have an older PO 2200.50. Can Omega replace the case of the watch? If a watch has deep enough dings can one purchase and replace the case of the watch as opposed to having it polished? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Quick question if I may. I have an older PO 2200.50. Can Omega replace the case of the watch? If a watch has deep enough dings can one purchase and replace the case of the watch as opposed to having it polished? Thanks.
Yes, but of course it would cost extra.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a cool watch. I'm just still wrapping my head around a watch from the late 90's being "vintage". But then I'm old and time flies.
Thanks. I put quotes around vintage since I'm not sure the 90s applies. :)

Time flies. I'm neither young nor old now but I hope that when life nicks us up with age, we become vintage people. Cheers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts