WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day to all,

I want to replace the crystal on my Amphibia,its got some daily deep scratches,bought new crystal ,I was wondering ,do I also need new metal ring with a new crystal?
or is it as easy as pressing old crystal out and pressing new crystal in?
Youtube video demonstrates it,but no narration unfortunately ,

Regards,
Glenn

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Most eBay sellers used to provide a new tension ring with a new crystal, but I haven't seen any lately. If that is the case, then you can just reuse your old tension ring. Just make sure you have the ring positioned correctly inside the crystal, the crystal positioned correctly over the case, squeeze the crystal press and it snaps right in. You'll even hear a 'click'

·
Registered
428 Posts
Most eBay sellers used to provide a new tension ring with a new crystal, but I haven't seen any lately. If that is the case, then you can just reuse your old tension ring. Just make sure you have the ring positioned correctly inside the crystal, the crystal positioned correctly over the case, squeeze the crystal press and it snaps right in. You'll even hear a 'click'
I'm beginning to have second thoughts about scavenging my vintage Amphibia in a 320 case for parts (the one you helped me verify when I was shopping it on eBay). I've sort of grown to like it quite a bit. However, by mistake I happened to wear it while taking a shower. I noticed it after only a few seconds and took it off and wiped it (somewhat) dry but still some moisture could be seen building up on the inside of the crystal. It dried up after an hour or so, but obviously it is no loger water resistant.

So, I'm considering getting myself a set of new rubber seals like this and a new acrylic glass like this. I don't have the tools to replace the "crown tube seal with fixing washer" (which I guess is what's being replaced here) or the crystal. Of course, I don't know where it's leaking but I guess or rather I'm hoping that replacing the case back seal, winding crown seal (can it just be winkled out?), and the crystal will do the trick. What do you think?

Anyway, I've been searching for a clear and easy to follow instruction on how to replace the crystal, like a video or a step by step written instruction and the closest I've gotten is your quote above (thanks!). I also found these two videos but non of them feel very reassuring but maybe they're OK?

So, in short what I want to know is; how do I make my vintage amphibian water proof (preferably 200 m), what tool or tools do I need to change the crystal and how do I do these things? I realize the answer could be a very long one, but for now I would be more than happy to learn a little more about how to change the crystal. Thanks!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well, as I haven't found any detailed explanation of how to change the crystal (haven't been looking extremely hard) I guess I will have to learn by doing. I'll try to write an illustrated guide (tools and procedure) once I've figured it out. According to Meranom the factory uses some sort of glue when installing the crystal but didn't have any other details to share. My guess is that they might use some clear silicone glue (pure speculation).

·
Banned
2,773 Posts
As 103ssv said no glue is necessary. I remove the movement/dial then push out the old crystal and then the new one should just click in from the front. Sometimes I need a press but mostly they just pop straight in. Did you try some polywatch on your old one? You'll be surprised what can be polished out. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Looking at the video, an injection is used to apply the "secret formula" glue to the place where the crystal meets the case. I assume there is a valid reason for using the glue, and the only reason I can think of is to achieve the Amphibian 200 meter water resistance. Vostok/Meranom can't or won't disclose what kind of glue is used but I've asked Meranom if they will be able to offer the injection on Meranom.com and they said they will check with the factory. For anyone interested I'll be back with a new message once I have the reply.

I'm sure the glue isn't necessary to achieve acceptable waterproofness!

·
Registered
428 Posts
As 103ssv said no glue is necessary. I remove the movement/dial then push out the old crystal and then the new one should just click in from the front. Sometimes I need a press but mostly they just pop straight in. Did you try some polywatch on your old one? You'll be surprised what can be polished out. Good luck with it.
Yes I did, thanks, and it worked wonders on most of the scratches! However, there are some fairly deep cuts around the edge of the crystal that didn't disappear in my first and only attempt. I'll give it another go and see what happens. Anyway, I'll more than likely change the crystal anyway as I want the experience! ;-)

BTW, looked at your "Railway Watches Collection". Absolutely beautiful! Thank you!

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
The last Amphibia crystal that I replaced did not show any evidence of glue residue on the crystal or case. As mentioned above, just press out the old crystal and replace the new one with the retaining ring. Just position and use a crystal press to pop back in place; very easy job!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Very odd never heard of glue being used before?
Maybe it is not glue, but lube to help the crystal seat.. It is being applied very quickly for glue.
Chris
Well, it hasn't been disclosed and is referred to as "secret formula" and "glue" by Dmitry at Meranom. Anyway, I guess Dmitry could be misinformed. It is indeed applied very quickly for being glue! Maybe some day we'll know.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
If it was some sort of glue be it one spot (super glue) or contact adhesive or a silicone type adhesive there would be a residue. Also if the crystal was glued how could the compression ring do its job and how could the seal improve with increased pressure? The crystal needs to be able to move..
It has to be a lube to help with crystal installation even that though should leave some residue really though, but that might be harder to see..
Chris

·
Registered
428 Posts
If it was some sort of glue be it one spot (super glue) or contact adhesive or a silicone type adhesive there would be a residue. Also if the crystal was glued how could the compression ring do its job and how could the seal improve with increased pressure? The crystal needs to be able to move..
It has to be a lube to help with crystal installation even that though should leave some residue really though, but that might be harder to see..
Chris
That's indeed a very persuasive argument and one that I'd be willing to buy into. Perhaps some sort of substance/lube (for lack of a better word) that helps the crystal move when it expands under pressure and helps ease the installation of the crystal. I'd sure like to know! :think:

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Chris
You make a good point, nonetheless I removed the crystal from my Soviet 470 & there was most definitely some sort of residue (white powdery substance) in the crystal track. I've seen it on another Soviet Amphibian as well. Unless that is the residue of communism, there was something applied to the crystal (perhaps not by the factory) and I don't buy the lube theory.

24h, the only tool you will need is a crystal press. I have a very cheap one & while I see its shortcomings, it works for my needs. You're very unlikely to need it for the crystal removal, but otherwise the videos you linked are an accurate portrayal of the process.

If you are inclined to do me a favor, could you test your case for WR prior to removing the crystal once you've replaced the gaskets? Then measure the crystal once you've removed it? I'm having an issue restoring WR to a Soviet 470. Let us know if you find any residue.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/conf...n-crystal-wr-sizing-tension-ring-4114570.html

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
You make a good point, nonetheless I removed the crystal from my Soviet 470 & there was most definitely some sort of residue (white powdery substance) in the crystal track.
Just a thought -- that white powdery substance may be frictional residue from the crystal expanding and contracting due to changes in temperature/pressure. I know that when I polish crystals with sandpaper, this "white powder" goes everywhere.

·
939 Posts
Just a thought -- that white powdery substance may be frictional residue from the crystal expanding and contracting due to changes in temperature/pressure. I know that when I polish crystals with sandpaper, this "white powder" goes everywhere.
I agree with Dashiell here. It could well be dust from worn crystal. I doubt if any glue is used for the reasons already stated and the injection might be silicon grease to help to maintain the seal on the crystal as it contracts and expands.

Barry

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.