WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
436 Posts
Most eBay sellers used to provide a new tension ring with a new crystal, but I haven't seen any lately. If that is the case, then you can just reuse your old tension ring. Just make sure you have the ring positioned correctly inside the crystal, the crystal positioned correctly over the case, squeeze the crystal press and it snaps right in. You'll even hear a 'click'
I'm beginning to have second thoughts about scavenging my vintage Amphibia in a 320 case for parts (the one you helped me verify when I was shopping it on eBay). I've sort of grown to like it quite a bit. However, by mistake I happened to wear it while taking a shower. I noticed it after only a few seconds and took it off and wiped it (somewhat) dry but still some moisture could be seen building up on the inside of the crystal. It dried up after an hour or so, but obviously it is no loger water resistant.

So, I'm considering getting myself a set of new rubber seals like this and a new acrylic glass like this. I don't have the tools to replace the "crown tube seal with fixing washer" (which I guess is what's being replaced here) or the crystal. Of course, I don't know where it's leaking but I guess or rather I'm hoping that replacing the case back seal, winding crown seal (can it just be winkled out?), and the crystal will do the trick. What do you think?

Anyway, I've been searching for a clear and easy to follow instruction on how to replace the crystal, like a video or a step by step written instruction and the closest I've gotten is your quote above (thanks!). I also found these two videos but non of them feel very reassuring but maybe they're OK?

So, in short what I want to know is; how do I make my vintage amphibian water proof (preferably 200 m), what tool or tools do I need to change the crystal and how do I do these things? I realize the answer could be a very long one, but for now I would be more than happy to learn a little more about how to change the crystal. Thanks!

· Registered
436 Posts
Well, as I haven't found any detailed explanation of how to change the crystal (haven't been looking extremely hard) I guess I will have to learn by doing. I'll try to write an illustrated guide (tools and procedure) once I've figured it out. According to Meranom the factory uses some sort of glue when installing the crystal but didn't have any other details to share. My guess is that they might use some clear silicone glue (pure speculation).

· Registered
436 Posts
Looking at the video, an injection is used to apply the "secret formula" glue to the place where the crystal meets the case. I assume there is a valid reason for using the glue, and the only reason I can think of is to achieve the Amphibian 200 meter water resistance. Vostok/Meranom can't or won't disclose what kind of glue is used but I've asked Meranom if they will be able to offer the injection on Meranom.com and they said they will check with the factory. For anyone interested I'll be back with a new message once I have the reply.

I'm sure the glue isn't necessary to achieve acceptable waterproofness!

· Registered
436 Posts
As 103ssv said no glue is necessary. I remove the movement/dial then push out the old crystal and then the new one should just click in from the front. Sometimes I need a press but mostly they just pop straight in. Did you try some polywatch on your old one? You'll be surprised what can be polished out. Good luck with it.
Yes I did, thanks, and it worked wonders on most of the scratches! However, there are some fairly deep cuts around the edge of the crystal that didn't disappear in my first and only attempt. I'll give it another go and see what happens. Anyway, I'll more than likely change the crystal anyway as I want the experience! ;-)

BTW, looked at your "Railway Watches Collection". Absolutely beautiful! Thank you!

· Registered
436 Posts
Very odd never heard of glue being used before?
Maybe it is not glue, but lube to help the crystal seat.. It is being applied very quickly for glue.
Chris
Well, it hasn't been disclosed and is referred to as "secret formula" and "glue" by Dmitry at Meranom. Anyway, I guess Dmitry could be misinformed. It is indeed applied very quickly for being glue! Maybe some day we'll know.

· Registered
436 Posts
If it was some sort of glue be it one spot (super glue) or contact adhesive or a silicone type adhesive there would be a residue. Also if the crystal was glued how could the compression ring do its job and how could the seal improve with increased pressure? The crystal needs to be able to move..
It has to be a lube to help with crystal installation even that though should leave some residue really though, but that might be harder to see..
Chris
That's indeed a very persuasive argument and one that I'd be willing to buy into. Perhaps some sort of substance/lube (for lack of a better word) that helps the crystal move when it expands under pressure and helps ease the installation of the crystal. I'd sure like to know! :think:

· Registered
436 Posts
You make a good point, nonetheless I removed the crystal from my Soviet 470 & there was most definitely some sort of residue (white powdery substance) in the crystal track. I've seen it on another Soviet Amphibian as well. Unless that is the residue of communism, there was something applied to the crystal (perhaps not by the factory) and I don't buy the lube theory.

24h, the only tool you will need is a crystal press. I have a very cheap one & while I see its shortcomings, it works for my needs. You're very unlikely to need it for the crystal removal, but otherwise the videos you linked are an accurate portrayal of the process.

If you are inclined to do me a favor, could you test your case for WR prior to removing the crystal once you've replaced the gaskets? Then measure the crystal once you've removed it? I'm having an issue restoring WR to a Soviet 470. Let us know if you find any residue.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/conf...n-crystal-wr-sizing-tension-ring-4114570.html
"The residue of communism". Hmm... of course, elementary my dear Watson, that's what is must be! ;-)

I just received the crystal press. It's one of those inexpensive Chinese from eBay but it looks and feels OK (haven't tried it yet though). However, I'm still waiting for the gaskets and some other tools that I need for my "cleaning up my vintage 320"-project. As soon as I have all the tools, spare parts and other stuff I will follow your requests and report back. It should be interesting! I know for sure the case isn't WR as of now as I accidentally happened to take a shower with it, but I have no idea if it is the gaskets or the crystal that is causing it. The experiment should tell I hope, and I'll be on the lookout for any "communism" that might creep up under the crystal base. ;-)

Here's an eBay image of my vintage 320.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

· Registered
436 Posts
I agree with Dashiell here. It could well be dust from worn crystal. I doubt if any glue is used for the reasons already stated and the injection might be silicon grease to help to maintain the seal on the crystal as it contracts and expands.

Barry
Hmm...that sounds plausible... and I guess it wouldn't hurt applying some very small amount of silicon grease once I replace the crystal, could it?

· Registered
436 Posts
Researching on another watch project, I went down a Google-hole for quite a while, and emerged having discovered that there is no such thing as acrylic glue! Hold on, now, what's used is either acetone or methylene chloride. These are actually solvents that dissolve acrylic; depending on the scale of the operation, different approaches are used. Basically, a bit of solvent is put at the crack, where it wicks in, softens the acrylic,which then melds together; the solvent then evaporates, and there you have it! You can even use a medical (different kind of plastic) syringe & needle: one poster got his from his friendly dentist. To my great disillusionment, this whole set-up was not dissimilar to the Bergeron kit posted above. Note also the Vostok video, which shows the "mystery glue" being applied with something that looks suspiciously similar to a medical syringe, and I note that acetone/methylene chloride have low enough viscosities to be applied and get everywhere in the manner shown in the Vostok video. Acetone=fingernail polish remover, but if you go this route IMHO I'd get colorless, non-perfumed variety. If you are interested in trying this on a big crack in a crystal, IMHO suggest making a set-up first so you can hold watch "Crystal down" instantly after drizzling solvent into crack, as solvent otherwise might drop right down onto watch face. More research pending, but anyway "acrylic glue" is an urban legend unless you make your own by dissolving little bits of acrylic in acetone/methylene chloride. BTW, I don't know if acrylic is soluble in silicone diver's watch grease or not. Yeah, knowledge is power, but I found all this info kinda disillusioning, too! Am curious if that white dust mentioned above isn't really acrylic--if anybody wants to let us know if it dissolves right up in acetone/methylene chloride, that'd be a major service to humanity, I think! Cheers (-:
Interesting post! Thank you very much! So in effect, acetone or methylene chloride when applied to the case where the acrylic crystal is fitted (as shown in the Vostok video) works as "acrylic glue" ;-). Also, if I understand your post correctly, acetone or methylene chloride could possibly also be used to repair acrylic crystal cuts/cracks (I've successfully been using Autosol for this and will probably stay with that method for as long as it works).

Once I get a crystal to experiment with I'll steal some of my wife's fingernail polish remover (acetone), see what happens, and will report back.

Oh, did you get some additional info about the Bergeron kit? I went back to eBay and it's still available, but the info is very scarce. The ad doesn't even mention what type of crystals it's for and trying to magnify the pictures the words are unreadable.

· Registered
436 Posts
Further news: acrylic dissolves in some other solvents, too. There are thicker and thinner professional grade of acrylic adherents used for diffferent applications; from previous research, I think these are solvent plus varying amounts of acrylic. More news soon, as I am planning to work on repairing the cracked crystal in my octagonal Raketa. (-:
I look forward to that!

· Registered
436 Posts
Well, as I haven't found any detailed explanation of how to change the crystal (haven't been looking extremely hard) I guess I will have to learn by doing. I'll try to write an illustrated guide (tools and procedure) once I've figured it out. According to Meranom the factory uses some sort of glue when installing the crystal but didn't have any other details to share. My guess is that they might use some clear silicone glue (pure speculation).
It's been a long time since I wrote that post. I never returned with the "illustrated guide", but instead I have recorded a video showing how to replace the crystal on a Vostok Amphibian. One thing I have learned is that a cheap Chinese press is no guarantee for success.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.