WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So thanks to this forum (and i must say "THANK YOU") i picked up a Lum-Tec. Beautiful thing.

But no thanks to you now i have a "go through my collection and replace things" bug.

Heres is the problem:

Several years ago a good friend of mine got me a watch for my Birthday. Its Dude-bro to the worse possible degree: A Marc Ecko crusted with crystal and the size of a dinner plate. I wore it a couple of times but now it is sitting in my box, taunting me, whispering bad things, telling me to buy Ed Hardy crap and get a fake tan.

I think i am going to replace the sucker.

So I am here, (again), asking for suggestions. I got some good ones from you last time so i am sure you can continue that fine trasition. Lets keep the price under 1 K though, since i am a poor poor boy.

I have no set "style" i want, except the following:

black leather or metal band

analogue (unless i can find someone in the US who has a Braun BN10)

NOT a black face chronograph (i have the Lum Tec and a Movado 800)

Maybe something other than round.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

·
Registered
13,859 Posts
Its Dude-bro to the worse possible degree: A Marc Ecko crusted with crystal and the size of a dinner plate. I wore it a couple of times but now it is sitting in my box, taunting me, whispering bad things, telling me to buy Ed Hardy crap and get a fake tan.
LOL this cracked me up! I would check out the Dievas Vortex Pro and some gray market Hamiltons. I'm digging the white dial X-Wind.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
How about the Tissot PRS516?

(borrowed image)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Uhr-Kraft Aircop. Size of a dinner plate, no crystals, will whisper bad things telling you to get a fake tan and tight jeans to look like Jean Claude Van Damme

uhr-kraft_94486.jpg

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leonard, I am trying to replace it with something that is NOT dude-bro. No Ed Hardy LOL. Ed Hardy is evil.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
+1 to the Hamilton idea. On the grey market, far more watch for the money than you'll likely get elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Leonard, I am trying to replace it with something that is NOT dude-bro. No Ed Hardy LOL. Ed Hardy is evil.
Awwww...and I was going to recommend Joe Rodeo next =p

Seriously though, if your budget can get comfortably close to $1,000 I'd go with pre-owned Damasko or Dievas. A Dievas Vortex would be on my incoming list right now if my spring US trip went through (instead I'm going to Japan in the summer so those funds are going to Seiko JDM).

If you'd much rather spend something closer to your Lum-Tec, try Hamilton, Steinhart, Christopher Ward and Mido. Specifically maybe an aviation watch since you mentioned something other than round. Both Steinhart and CW make nice instrument watches

C11AUTO_SKK_17.jpg SteinhartAviationVintageL.jpg

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mmmmmmm interesting divers.... I didnt even think Longines made divers... i thought they only made thin pieces for suits.

The Steinhart looks good too.

Decisions... decisions.... and dont hesitate to throw out more suggestions, thank you so much.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
This is the one (image borrowed)

206465648.jpg

To my friend's credit, it was a nice one at the time he got it for me (i saw his and said thats what i want, his got s skull graphic with crystals on it) But now i have grown up a bit the watch just does not appeal anymore. It has a nice deployment clasp in the back. I have no plans to sell it. I am just going to put it back into the original box and maybe one day i might be interested in it again. But for now I want to shift it out of my "collection" and put something else there.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
That is Magnificent. I love this thread.

Go diver. I like this one a lot (SNZH51) and at under $200 it won't break the bank.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is Magnificent. I love this thread.
Thanks. I suspect there are more of us who are in this kind of situation. We bought a thing, fast forward x years, and we now are meh at most or hate it at worst and wants to replace it. It happens with age.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Dude...Marc Ecko has some of the most vulgar designs on the face of this planet. Case in point:

marceckoGlobalInk.jpg

Anyways, if you're willing to consider a diver then you're going to be spoiled for choice. Boschett, Deep Blue, Helson, Halios, CW, Steinhart, Bathys, Benarus, Bernhardt, Prometheus, Ocean 7....the list goes on and on.
If you're looking for something non-traditional then I'd still recommend Steinhart. Their Apollon is a great design and it comes with all 3 bezels in the picture (Stainless, PVD Stainless and Bronze) so you can easily change its look to suit your mood
1830298629apollon_auto_13.jpg

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bump. I like the Sumo but i cant find a US seller that i can trust? Where do you guys buy that from?

Also interested in other suggestions. -

·
Registered
978 Posts
bump. I like the Sumo but i cant find a US seller that i can trust? Where do you guys buy that from?

Also interested in other suggestions. -
The Sumo is a Japanese domestic model Seiko not sold in the U.S. These watches are very well-regarded on this forum, and the Sumo is a fan favorite, especially in the Seiko subforum. There are three trusted sellers of Japanese domestic models: SeiyaJapan | Grand Seiko | G-Shock | Seiko Spirit | Prospex | Marinemaster | Citizen | SeiyaJapan.com in Tokyo, Japan, HIGUCHI-INC, and CHINO WATCH. Do a forum search on any of these sellers, and you'll see that they are very highly regarded. I can personally attest, for what it's worth, that Seiya is an excellent shop to do business with.

Before taking the plunge on the Sumo, note that it's a large watch at 44mm. People love the watch, but just want to make sure you know that. You should head over to the Seiko subforum and research the watch a little bit.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts