WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no experience with watchmaking or repair, but would like to learn. I recently purchased a watch from u/dayummJOHN that he said was working but was not. I took it into a few repair shops and the cost of repair looks to be around what I paid for it.

Can anyone tell me about where to buy a mainspring for this SNZF17 and how difficult it is to repair?

·
1,296 Posts
I would first suggest reading some books such as Fried's The Watch Repairer's Manual to get a good understanding of how a watch works. A mainspring is not hard to replace if one has the knowledge and tools. Do you have any tools? Where are you located?
Samantha

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have some basic stuff that I picked up from Harbor Freight but nothing too fancy. I would rather spend that $80 toward some tools that I can reuse rather than a service for this watch, though.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I may be wrong, but i have it in my head that some Seiko calibre's are not designed to replace just the mainspring, you need a whole barrel assemby. Having said that i have replaced the spring but the barrel lid was very difficult to get off and put back without distorting it.

De Carle 's Practical Watch Repairing is another standard you should read.

Snake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I may be wrong, but i have it in my head that some Seiko calibre's are not designed to replace just the mainspring, you need a whole barrel assemby. Having said that i have replaced the spring but the barrel lid was very difficult to get off and put back without distorting it.
Even with a tool that allows you to push it back evenly? Just seems kinda odd that you can't just replace the mainspring when necessary.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Maybe if you describe the issue and why it derive to the mainspring.
It could be some thing else.

Generally its more economical to replace the Seiko movement.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Even with a tool that allows you to push it back evenly? Just seems kinda odd that you can't just replace the mainspring when necessary.
Its been a while since I have worked on a Seiko so a little hazy! But, i recall it was very hard to release the barrel lid without damage.
I don't recall refitting as being an issue.
I did a bit of research and read that it wasn't designed to be opened and should be replaced as a whole barrel and spring. Of course now i doubt the parts are available.

Snake

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Its been a while since I have worked on a Seiko so a little hazy! But, i recall it was very hard to release the barrel lid without damage.
I don't recall refitting as being an issue.
I did a bit of research and read that it wasn't designed to be opened and should be replaced as a whole barrel and spring. Of course now i doubt the parts are available.

Snake

From the picture(found via google of seiko barrel cases) it seems like it's lacking the little slot on the cover, but can't it be opened by pushing on the sides of the barrel and have the arbor push the lid open? This way there is no need for that slit and unless it's been riveted or otherwise secured it should be easily doable. Easy, fast and completely without tools.

And yes, it seems I missread what you had written before. I understood getting the lid back on was the only problem.

·
1,296 Posts
Some of the mainsprings are designed to replace the whole barrel. Call a material house and they can tell you if just the mainspring is available. As for tools, I wouldn't attempt any repair with Harbor Freight tools, as from what I have seen, the quality is not there. I would at least purchase some good used, vintage tools. If they're in decent shape, the quality is much better. The barrel does not need a slot in order to open it.
Samantha

·
Registered
582 Posts
Seiko service suggests a new barrel complete...

However you can give the Arbor a gentle tap from underneath, and it will open the lid. Or you can press the arbor against a flat surface. Works on Rolex to ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts