WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I want to fix this vintage watch's bezel. It turns freely with no resistance. The watch is a old Sandoz chrono diver with landeron 248. I believe it was also sold under Waltham and Tressa (or just a similar one).

bezelless.jpg

The watch came with no ratcheting ring, and doesn't have one built-in or teeth there.

bezel.jpg
The bezel has no teeth; it's completely smooth aside from dirt. :-d

I want to say it's just missing a ratcheting ring, but even if it had one there are no teeth on the bezel so it wouldn't do much good (?). That's about the extent of my knowledge of dive watches and their bezels, so I'm wondering what would make this bezel click and what part is missing? And then of course, if it's possible that I can find a generic replacement?

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Some older divers had friction bezels, aka they never clicked.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'm certainly not an expert and not adding anything much beyond what's been said already. It looks to me like you've done all the fixing you can, the only way to firm up the friction feel and keep the bezel in place a bit better would be new O-rings, so it's a bit tighter. You may find parts (no affiliation) at Frei & Borel - 1-510-832-0355 by searching for o-rings or gaskets, but you'll need careful measurements. Good luck

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, that's really interesting to know. :-!
I'll check that site out Cleans Up. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Looks like you're missing the thin "spring" which serves 2 purposes: snaps into the groove on the case holding the bezel on and provides resistance when turning.
Once installed it won't "click" when turning, but should stay put.
Visit an old watchmaker or a watch supply house to see if you can find one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts