WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've purchased a Di-Modell replacement strap for my Night Train. I have a spring bar tool (from Harbor Freight) and I'm wondering how difficult it is to change out?

-Which side of the tool do I use?
-Do I use the existing spring bars or the set that came w. the new strap?

My main concern is that there doesn't seem to be a large area where I can access the bars to push back the spring. Any tips would help.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Here's a video on how to change a watch strap:

I assume you got 22mm spring bars with the strap, so they probably won't compress enough to fit the 21mm lug width of the Night Train. Use the spring bars that you already have.

Rob

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is little to zero room on the Night Train to actually touch and move the springbars...maybe I need a way thinner springbar tool? Got a feeling I'm going to scratch the s. out of the case lug. Is that a given when replacing straps?

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I think that when you start to wiggle the fork of the strap tool into the space you want to make between the strap and the inside of the lug, the strap should move aside to give you some room. If you've squeezed a 22mm strap into a 21mm lug space, you may have to apply a bit more pressure. Personally, I apply pressure at an angle aimed slightly more toward the strap than the lug. This scoots the strap aside just enough for the strap tool fork to create a gap.

As for leaving minor marks on the lugs, I've found that unless you take heroic measures (like putting tape on the lugs), you cannot guarantee that you won't leave some light scratches. I've found that a Bergeon strap changer with a curved, slim fork slides nicely between the strap and lug and leaves little-to-no visible marks when I take my time . . . in most instances.

Rob

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,594 Posts
I find the Bergeon tool with the wide flat side works very well with straps. I've never had one slip or leave a mark. The smaller fork side I only used for bracelets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts