WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The replica watch industry is huge with many online web outlets and forums dedicated to replica watches and the quest to "mod" them to achieve a more accurate copy of the original.

I sometimes visit a popular replica site as the strap sales area often has good deals on genuine high end venders of Panerai style straps.

The general opinion on these forums is that the watches are not fake but replicas whereas I dont see any difference where watches are concerned.

What are you opinions?????

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
They are all fakes.

If they carry a makers name on the dial and are not made by that maker how can they be anything else?

Replica is just a name used by the deluded idiots who buy these things into thinking they are not the losers that every right thinking person knows they are. ;-)

There are plenty of very good quality inexpensive watches out there without having to try and fool yourself.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The general opinion on these forums is that the watches are not fake but replicas whereas I dont see any difference where watches are concerned.
-In my opinion: If the watch is built to be passed off as the genuine article (That is, even the (original) manufacturer's logo is duplicated), it is a fake. No ifs, no buts.

If, on the other hand, a watch is a blatant ripoff of a (prestigeous) watch, say, a Sub or a Seamaster, but marked with the replica-maker's logo, then it is fine with me. (Example: The Alpha range)

Bottom line - if the intent is to deceive a buyer into thinking he gets the real deal when he doesn't, it is a fake.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Naw, there is no difference between a fake and a replica. Just different terms for the same thing. If it is your watch, then it is a replica. If it is someone elses watch, then it is a fake. Hehehehe

The rep forums have some good deals on gen watches every now and then. There are also some serious watch fanatic members who have gen collections that rivial any WIS on this forum. Personally, I'd just rather wear a gen watch. But I certainly don't look down my nose at anyone who wears a replica. I think they have their place in this "obsession."

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Neil is right - there are too many very good quality inexpensive watches out there to justify wearing a fake.

However, I wouldn't call these rep guys "deluded idiots" just because they wear a fake watch. Some of the members have $100,000 gen collections and just like an occasional fake to test out or play with.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I suppose it's a philosophical thing. Fakes are passed off as the real deal to try and con the buyer, while replicas say so up front so the buyer knows what they are getting. At the end of the day both watches are fake.

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
I could care less if someone buys a fake. I could care less if they wear it around and tell everyone it's real. If somebody knowingly buys a fake, that's on them. I just hate to see somebody get taken because they think they are getting a deal and wind up with a fake. ~ david

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
About 40 years ago a wise man told me he would rather wear a good Timex than a fake Rolex. i know this is the omega forum but this quote fits here as well.
The problem with fakes is, when one buys one they are supporting illegal activities.

·
Registered
48 Posts
sometimes in the auto industry there are replica cars built because people want a car that is no longer in production. I would call those replica cars, not fake cars. But for example in some parts of Asia, you can buy a current model "replica" car, like an S class mercedes etc. I would call these fake cars.

I feel it would be the same with watches.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Where watches are concerned REPLICA or FAKE is one and the same thing. A HOMAGE on the other hand is, as OddE says, a different matter. Homage watches satisfy people's desire to have nice looking watches at inexpensive prices without paying the authentic, high end prices. They come with certain, possibly quite significant trade offs such as accuracy, overall finish, quality control etc (arguably as fakes do??). There is also the case such as with some of the Timefactors watches where long since departed models are resurrected by way of homage. I'm sure however that some would say a homage is merely a replica by another (perhaps more acceptable) name.

I find the whole debate about fakes.replicas pretty abhorent. The fake makers are stealing from the authentic company and possibly trying to con the watch buying public, simple as that. On the other hand homages are seen as legitimate although I often ponder why a homage, such as the Alpha PO isn't just considered to be a replica with a reasonably acceptable name on it (Alpha). It looks like one, is clearly styled that way on purpose and is even referred to by people on here as a PO homage. I get the "because it's not a PO!" argument as much as I get the fact that actually in almost every way it's trying to be a PO, less the name. Very interesting subject.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
sometimes in the auto industry there are replica cars built because people want a car that is no longer in production. I would call those replica cars, not fake cars. But for example in some parts of Asia, you can buy a current model "replica" car, like an S class mercedes etc. I would call these fake cars.

I feel it would be the same with watches.
In addition to watches i also collect cars. When i am at a show and i see a nice plastic body car it looks good and yes they have there place. BUT when that cars wins a trophy for being a top notch Model A roadster, i get p..ed, because mine is the real thing

·
Registered
10,302 Posts
I have a soft spot for replica's, a replica SMP led me to the real thing ;-)

Now I cant stand replica... I got a replica Armani Credit Card holder for when I travel (I dont bring my wallet on holidays). Its starting to bug me. I might go to the city on the weekend to see if I can find the real deal from Gucci or even LV as its end of financial year sale.

I'll keep my replica cufflinks though, still cant justify spending hundreds of dollars one something I'll wear only a handfull of times a year.

PS
if anyone know any online stores that sell authentic designer leather goods, please let me know.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
But I certainly don't look down my nose at anyone who wears a replica. I think they have their place in this "obsession."
In the abstract, I agree with you. But given the discovery by Interpol and others that the proceeds of counterfeit goods sales help fund terrorism, I'm inclined to be more disapproving of fake watches.

The specific examples given in this report do not include watches, but it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to assume that if fake shoe, CD, cigarette or CD sales fund terrorist groups, then fake watch sales do too.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
In addition to watches i also collect cars. When i am at a show and i see a nice plastic body car it looks good and yes they have there place. BUT when that cars wins a trophy for being a top notch Model A roadster, i get p..ed, because mine is the real thing
Criteria of that show's class might allow new parts?

Only if the car was misrepresented and judges didn't know the difference...
Sounds like a car show that a trophy wouldn't mean much from if that's the case.
Otherwise, hard to find a Model A these days that doesn't have much of the components replaced.

Love cars too. Have a couple little vintage euro cars.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
In the abstract, I agree with you. But given the discovery by Interpol and others that the proceeds of counterfeit goods sales help fund terrorism, I'm inclined to be more disapproving of fake watches.

The specific examples given in this report do not include watches, but it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to assume that if fake shoe, CD, cigarette or CD sales fund terrorist groups, then fake watch sales do too.
I agree with you there Nick. There are plenty of inexpensive watches to buy that aren't fakes or replicas. Why even go there?

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
I hear the fakes support terrorists, organised crime and so on arguments, but I have never seen any evidence of it. Sure, fakes support petty crime almost by definition but I can't help feeling that that's about it. Is there any credible evidence for this?

As far as fakes go, all they can do is harm. If you are wearing one innocently then you have been had and when you find out that will hurt. If ,on the other hand, you are wearing one deliberately then you are constantly repeating a lie. I think that we are all pretty clear about the sort of people who lie all the time.
You just don't need to invoke a criminal or terrorist threat. Fakes are just a bad thing.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I hear the fakes support terrorists, organised crime and so on arguments, but I have never seen any evidence of it. Sure, fakes support petty crime almost by definition but I can't help feeling that that's about it. Is there any credible evidence for this?
Take a look at the Interpol report linked in my earlier post. Not smoking gun evidence, but certainly credible circumstantial evidence of links between counterfeit goods and organized crime/terrorism.

Regardless, I think this is a better point anyway:

As far as fakes go, all they can do is harm. If you are wearing one innocently then you have been had and when you find out that will hurt. If ,on the other hand, you are wearing one deliberately then you are constantly repeating a lie. I think that we are all pretty clear about the sort of people who lie all the time.
You just don't need to invoke a criminal or terrorist threat. Fakes are just a bad thing.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
This is a reprint from a local paper it took about 2 seconds to google so the paper is not important but here is an important link to drugs and counterfeit merchandise

Seven men are still wanted for distributing controlled substances.
While completing the investigation, the sheriff’s office received information that led to the seizure of counterfeit merchandise.
“During the operation, we heard of two organizations in Dothan selling counterfeit items,” Hughes said. “We seized $54,000 worth of counterfeit clothing from Elite Styles on North Foster Street, and from That’s What’s Up Clothing, we seized about $300. It’s merchandise that, on the surface, appears to be Polo, Nike, Ralph Lauren, different kinds of name brand merchandise that are not actually these brands.”

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Yep, I'd say that is evidence Nick. Sorry I didn't read your post more carefully. AAwatches, I would be arguing that $54,000 is small beer compared to organised crime as I meant it, but Nick has rather taken the wind out of my sails.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I do not mean to preach, I am not a saint by any stretch of the imagination. With that said; crime is crime. If my purchasing a 20 buck thingamabob helps to fund terrorism, illegal drugs or any thing that can help to damage us or our families, I think that as responsible people, we should think twice about it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts