WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought of opening a separate new thread for GPW second hand malfunction since we have one for GWG Mudmaster, and these are completely different movements. I reported my issue on MM thread first, but at that time I didn't see the second hand being stuck, so wasn't sure if I indeed do have a second hand issue. Today when I looked at the watch the second hand was not moving and stopped somewhere around 10pm mark. Slight tap on the watch and it moved but it is out of alignment and would not show corresponding markings such as YES or NO for sync for example. When you press button it goes to completely different place.

I know there were some other incidents with GPW's on the forum, so I hope we could gather these together here in one place to hopefully narrow it down to the year with batch numbers that are possibly affected. Please let's keep this thread very simple with the reports only and corresponding batch numbers as well as serials.

LIST OF USERS WITH THE SECOND HAND MALFUNCTIONS:

1. ZJAZZ- GPW Titanium version. Batch number G21D243F and Serial 68Cxxx.
2. frhoads- GPW Titanium version. Batch number G21D243F and Serial 68Cxxx.
3. Olyeller68- GPW (Batch and Serial unknown)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Thats the exact spot where second hand stops now. Sometimes hands adjustment moves it and it works for another hour or two, and then stops there again. Ohhh.....

IMG_2377.JPG

·
Registered
550 Posts
Mine has stopped several times at around 15 seconds.

When I have performed automatic hand resetting, the watch runs correctly for at least several days.

I had no idea that others have had similar problems. I thought it might have been related to the watch not "waking" properly after having been in a dark room for several hours, but perhaps that is completely irrelevant.

My serial number is the same [68Cxxx]. The batch number is G21D243F. Mine is also Titanium.

I thought of opening a separate new thread for GPW second hand malfunction since we have one for GWG Mudmaster, and these are completely different movements. I reported my issue on MM thread first, but at that time I didn't see the second hand being stuck, so wasn't sure if I indeed do have a second hand issue. Today when I looked at the watch the second hand was not moving and stopped somewhere around 10pm mark. Slight tap on the watch and it moved but it is out of alignment and would not show corresponding markings such as YES or NO for sync for example. When you press button it goes to completely different place.

I know there were some other incidents with GPW's on the forum, so I hope we could gather these together here in one place to hopefully narrow it down to the year with batch numbers that are possibly affected. Please let's keep this thread very simple with the reports only and corresponding batch numbers as well as serials.

1. GPW Titanium version. Batch number G21D243F and Serial 68Cxxx.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW! Incredible that we have exactly the same batch numbers, as well as exactly the same beginning of movement serials (6-2016 and 8-August). So possibly our watches were made together at the same time and it looks like both are affected. Sorry friend!

Mine has stopped several times at around 15 seconds.

When I have performed automatic hand resetting, the watch runs correctly for at least several days.

I had no idea that others have had similar problems. I thought it might have been related to the watch not "waking" properly after having been in a dark room for several hours, but perhaps that is completely irrelevant.

My serial number is the same [68Cxxx]. The batch number is G21D243F. Mine is also Titanium.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hey ZJAZZ...

Looks like we're the only ones reporting affliction to this point.

I thought I'd mention that my GPW-T1000 has now been working perfectly for two full days. [The watch is not only keeping perfect time, the same as all my other solar atomics...they are legion in my house...but indicates that it has received the US calibration signal.] Of course, since I don't know what caused the two incidents I've experienced, I don't know if or when it will happen next, which is not a good place to be with a watch.

Each time the second hand has frozen [my second had froze twice at exactly the same place, at about 16 seconds after the minute, pointing toward the TH day indicator], I performed the auto-hand set adjustment that the manual speaks of as a remedy for magnetization...the old "pull the crown out to second position, hold the lower button for ten seconds" routine, and the second hand repositioned correctly.]

Incidentally, and probably irrelevant, I've notice that the little "24 hour" hand, about the second time zone time, is positioned 12 hours off. Do you have this too? It doesn't matter to me, since the second time zone is tracking properly, and the date rolls over to midnight when it should, but it is another oddity of the watch.

I don't know what triggers the second hand freezing. I have discarded my theory that it relates to transition from or to a sleep state occasioned by darkness. Could it be charge level? Don't know. Incidentally, I also adjusted the minute hand through the universally acclaimed ZJAZZ maneuver :) What have you tried with your watch?

WOW! Incredible that we have exactly the same batch numbers, as well as exactly the same beginning of movement serials (6-2016 and 8-August). So possibly our watches were made together at the same time and it looks like both are affected. Sorry friend!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I'll jump in here, I have the same issue with mine. I had the movement replaced and it still has the issue, lasted about a week, sent it back and had it checked and of course they found no issues? I'm not even convinced they changed the movement out. I didn't think to ask for the original one back until I got the watch back and it still had the issue (stupid me!)

Really disappointing as I like this watch quite alot, but I almost never wear anymore because of this.

Mine used to stop around the 8:00 mark but now it's stopped at one minute past 1:00 and the manual hand reset is not fixing it now.

Where are you guys getting the serial and batch numbers so I can check mine? Are you opening the watch and seeing it inside?

Maybe one of us should try to contact Casio directly and see what they have to say about this? Hopefully more people will chime in so we have more data to support our case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: MainePorsche

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
This may or may not be of any help but mine does not do it. 62Cxxx serial number and batch number G11D053F. Seems like the older non-titanium models are not showing it.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Seems like the older non-titanium models are not showing it.
I think inmate @Worker's non-titanium did have this issue. If you think about it, why would the issue be limited to only certain external appearances?

Reactions: ZJAZZ

·
Registered
550 Posts
The batch number and serial number are stamped on the back of the watch, at the 6 hand position and the 9 hand position [at least on my watch]. In any event, there is no need to open the watch.

I reset the hands on mine on September 4, about 41 hours ago...so far, so good.

I'll jump in here, I have the same issue with mine. I had the movement replaced and it still has the issue, lasted about a week, sent it back and had it checked and of course they found no issues? I'm not even convinced they changed the movement out. I didn't think to ask for the original one back until I got the watch back and it still had the issue (stupid me!)

Really disappointing as I like this watch quite alot, but I almost never wear anymore because of this.

Mine used to stop around the 8:00 mark but now it's stopped at one minute past 1:00 and the manual hand reset is not fixing it now.

Where are you guys getting the serial and batch numbers so I can check mine? Are you opening the watch and seeing it inside?

Maybe one of us should try to contact Casio directly and see what they have to say about this? Hopefully more people will chime in so we have more data to support our case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey FRHOADS,

Sorry you have the same issue, and thanks for your report with serials here in the thread. I remember there were others with the same problem on GPW but probably they didn't see the thread yet that's why no additional reports. I know at least two other members who had it.

So glad to hear your watch is working for several days without any ill effect. Mine is working for 2 days as well! Very interesting. It makes me think that this is no mechanical problem. Maybe some electronic thing with the movement, but who knows! I can't understand why would it work, and then not work, and then work again. If it were a mechanical issue I guess it would get stuck every time. But I'm no expert so really can't understand. My prediction it is something with the automatic adjustment and it just gets it wrong. But like I said I'm no expert so all my predictions could be completely wrong. Also glad to hear you were able to align your minute hand! Great!

Hey ZJAZZ...

Looks like we're the only ones reporting affliction to this point.

I thought I'd mention that my GPW-T1000 has now been working perfectly for two full days. [The watch is not only keeping perfect time, the same as all my other solar atomics...they are legion in my house...but indicates that it has received the US calibration signal.] Of course, since I don't know what caused the two incidents I've experienced, I don't know if or when it will happen next, which is not a good place to be with a watch.

Each time the second hand has frozen [my second had froze twice at exactly the same place, at about 16 seconds after the minute, pointing toward the TH day indicator], I performed the auto-hand set adjustment that the manual speaks of as a remedy for magnetization...the old "pull the crown out to second position, hold the lower button for ten seconds" routine, and the second hand repositioned correctly.]

Incidentally, and probably irrelevant, I've notice that the little "24 hour" hand, about the second time zone time, is positioned 12 hours off. Do you have this too? It doesn't matter to me, since the second time zone is tracking properly, and the date rolls over to midnight when it should, but it is another oddity of the watch.

I don't know what triggers the second hand freezing. I have discarded my theory that it relates to transition from or to a sleep state occasioned by darkness. Could it be charge level? Don't know. Incidentally, I also adjusted the minute hand through the universally acclaimed ZJAZZ maneuver :) What have you tried with your watch?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I can't understand why would it work, and then not work, and then work again.If it were a mechanical issue I guess it would get stuck every time. But I'm no expert so really can't understand.
Actually you CAN get the second hand of a watch with a faulty second hand stuck purposefully by exposing the watch to cold temperatures (fridge overnight) AND most importantly it will get stuck at the same spot over and over again. So these two properties together tell me that it has to be mechanical.

As far as the auto adjustment goes, that only happens @55 minutes of every hour. In the meantime the watch does not seem to know where exactly the second hand is and rather goes by counting +++ / --- steps from the position where it 'thinks' the second hand is to where it needs to go. @55 minutes then the check happens -> are the hands really at the position where the watch 'thinks' they are and then there comes the adjustment if necessary. I have seen this adjustment happen on my faulty Mudmaster several times live as it happens. It is similar to the hand home alignment procedure, except I remember it being more extensive (second hand makes more than one circle and maybe the minute hand too).

Reactions: ZJAZZ

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WES51 I really don't know what to think. Of course it could be mecanical. I really don't know. It looks like my second hand stopped at different places, so that even adds more mystery to it. I wish there would be easy fix for it but so far only only changing the module is the only option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
@ZJAZZ, I misunderstood that your second hand stopped always at the same spot. Indeed that was the case in the other occurrences that I know of.

At this point I like to add, that if anyone has a defective module with a second hand issue, I would consider buying it. I would really like to dissect it and see what may be causing the issue.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At this point I like to add, that if anyone has a defective module with a second hand issue, I would consider buying it. I would really like to dissect it and see what may be causing the issue.
Thats a fantastic idea! Maybe you will be able to find this mystery!!!!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Mine stopped again :(

I wasn't wearing it at the time, so it was sometime today.

When I unscrewed the crown, but before I did anything else, it started up again...

Thats a fantastic idea! Maybe you will be able to find this mystery!!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Mine stopped again :(

I wasn't wearing it at the time, so it was sometime today.

When I unscrewed the crown, but before I did anything else, it started up again...
Unbelivable! My watch stopped today too! Sorry to hear that! It's like those are in sync when to work, when to stop!

EDIT: I was wondering when it started back, was the second hand in sync? If you press right button to check the sync Yes or No, does it go to the right place? My hand was out of sync completely

·
Registered
550 Posts
No, when the second hand started, it was off and miscalibrated. So I "auto-corrected" the hands, and all hands pointed correctly again, second hand running properly. That was three and a half hours ago.

So it is a mechanical problem, at least in the sense that the watch has the right time internally, but stops displaying it correctly. [After the "auto-correct" procedure, the hands are pointing correctly again even though the watch time has not been corrected from an external source, neither GPS nor atomic clock.] I guess the mechanical malfunction could still be the result of an electronic glitch, though. The glitch almost certainly has an electronic component, it seems to me, because a simple mechanical problem wouldn't likely be hidden for thousands of transversals of the watch face.

I have never been wearing the watch at the time that the second hand strays. Have you?

I think I will wear the watch until it goes haywire again. It could be that body heat prevents the problem from occurring [or not]. It also could be that the movement to the watch that occurs while wearing it prevents the problem. Who knows? Anyway, I can't think of anything else I can try.

I will report back.

Unbelivable! My watch stopped today too! Sorry to hear that! It's like those are in sync when to work, when to stop!

EDIT: I was wondering when it started back, was the second hand in sync? If you press right button to check the sync Yes or No, does it go to the right place? My hand was out of sync completely

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My was misaligned as well after the stop. When I checked for example for the sync Yes or No position the second hand pointed somewhere at 3 o'clock instead. So yes internally it is completely messed up in terms of alignment, but it feels like watch doesn't know it and it functions "correctly" moving second hand as needed however not pointing at the right places. And like you mentioned hand home alignment temporary corrects it until next stop, and then everything goes all over again. So very hard to say if it's mechanical problem or electronic problem. Who knows. I sure don't.

I haven't been wearing it also when that happens, but actually by wearing it we might not understand if it happens or not because slight movement of the wrist may bump the second hand to be moving again and we wouldn't even know if it was stopped. Also every 55 minutes it calibrates everything automatically, so if it's misaligned it will go back to normal place.

No, when the second hand started, it was off and miscalibrated. So I "auto-corrected" the hands, and all hands pointed correctly again, second hand running properly. That was three and a half hours ago.

So it is a mechanical problem, at least in the sense that the watch has the right time internally, but stops displaying it correctly. [After the "auto-correct" procedure, the hands are pointing correctly again even though the watch time has not been corrected from an external source, neither GPS nor atomic clock.] I guess the mechanical malfunction could still be the result of an electronic glitch, though. The glitch almost certainly has an electronic component, it seems to me, because a simple mechanical problem wouldn't likely be hidden for thousands of transversals of the watch face.

I have never been wearing the watch at the time that the second hand strays. Have you?

I think I will wear the watch until it goes haywire again. It could be that body heat prevents the problem from occurring [or not]. It also could be that the movement to the watch that occurs while wearing it prevents the problem. Who knows? Anyway, I can't think of anything else I can try.

I will report back.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts