WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was directed to this forum by some nice guys in the Affordable Watches section.

I'm planning on doing a lot of hiking and outdoorsy stuff this summer and I'm looking for a good watch that can handle getting smashed into rocks and trees, getting wet, etc...

Of course, my first inclination is to get a Casio G-Shock and I am not opposed to that at all, but they have so many models that I don't even know where to start looking. Also, for this watch I don't care about any complications and it doesn't matter to me whether the display is digital or analog. Just looking for a decent looking, low priced but durable, beater. 42-46mm.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Complications are more of a mechanical thing.. but let's start with some details.. do you prefer ana-digi, digital, analog, etc? Positive / negative display? Any other features you'd like? Most all current production G-Shocks are "affordable", but do you have a price range you'd like to stay within? Color, flashy or black? Personally, I'd go black if you plan on an everyday beater. My first recommendation would be the GD100 series:

GD100-1A - G-Shock - Mens, Womens, Ladies, Digital, Analog, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I'd prefer to spend less than $100 if possible. When I said "complications" I meant features. In other words I just need it for telling time and don't need bell and whistles. Like I said, it doesn't matter to me whether it's analog or digital.

The G-Shock you linked to looks like a great place to start.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
In the $100 range, the GD100 series is best, IMO. 7-year battery, super bright LED, plus all the "standard" G-Shock features. It's the XL case design but really comfy and lightweight to wear. Many color variations to choose from, as well. Good luck and post pics when you get your G!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What size is the case on the GD100? Am I reading correctly that it is over 50mm? That sounds too big for me.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. Citizen Super Titanium CA0021-53E. G-Shock DW-5000MS (with GW-5000 strap)
1,920 Posts
Another good model under $100 is the 6900 series.
Tons of color variations to choose from.
If you're not picky, I recommend the DW-6900-1V.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I world say any of the 5600s. It's a classic and is below the 50mm mark. The 5500 is a good choice too.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That's a great choice. A classic, durable watch that can take almost anything. Good luck with your watch.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Good choice, I think you'll like it a lot. There are a handful of vets in my law school and no joke, they all wear the 5600E (one guy seems to switch between the 5600E and some kind of Tissot dress watch). I just picked one up myself at Target the other day and I like it a lot - simple, durable, and affordable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts