WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all of you following the progress of my little watch venture. I have a few pictures of the revised bezel. As you can see it is a bit beefier than it was and more user friendly. The case will still accept a domed crystal and nothing else has really changed but the bezel and the case finish which I talked about earlier.

I have all the nylon straps, dials, movements and UK 406 boxes standing by waiting for the cases to get finished up and then we can begin building. The bezel revision set us back a spell but we are still looking at worst an August delivery date. I hope you like what you see from the pictures and please keep in mind that these are prototype pictures and do not have the paint in the bezel numbers or the lume dot (I have to say it or someone would e-mail me about it :-d). The bottom pic is the Founders Pin that will come with each watc in the first run.

When I get the next proto put together, I 'll post up some pics of the final product here first. Thanks for all the supporting e-mails and PMs. Please keep them coming, I enjoy ALL the input.....constructive or otherwise!

R.E. Smith

·
Registered
230 Posts
Very nice.

Are the numbers going to stay bare steel? Or are they going to be filled with paint/lume?

While I love the look of the bare milled numbers on most divers, it strikes me as not terribly readable in low light conditions. Given that most of my dive watches will get no closer to water than a bucket full it's not a big issue to me, but some people actually use them for there intended purpose :).

I just wish the price was a bit cheaper. Not that I don't think its not worth it or anything, I just cant afford it. Ah well, another time perhaps. I've got my eye on enough watches as it is anyways.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice.

Are the numbers going to stay bare steel? Or are they going to be filled with paint/lume?

While I love the look of the bare milled numbers on most divers, it strikes me as not terribly readable in low light conditions. Given that most of my dive watches will get no closer to water than a bucket full it's not a big issue to me, but some people actually use them for there intended purpose :).

I just wish the sale price was a bit cheaper. Not that I don't think its not worth it or anything, I just cant afford it. Ah well, another time perhaps.
Hello Rand,

The numbers will be filled with black paint. The 12 will be lumed white and glow blue. The PVD models will have the bezel numbers in grey.

R.E.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Very nice.

I just wish the price was a bit cheaper. Not that I don't think its not worth it or anything, I just cant afford it. Ah well, another time perhaps. I've got my eye on enough watches as it is anyways.
From the original post: "I hope you like what you see from the pictures and please keep in mind that these are prototype pictures and do not have the paint in the bezel numbers or the lume dot ..."

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Sir, that is looking better than the drawings and original specs suggest. Proportions are excellent, large crown, bezel height, etc. :-!

Hello all of you following the progress of my little watch venture. I have a few pictures of the revised bezel. As you can see it is a bit beefier than it was and more user friendly. The case will still accept a domed crystal and nothing else has really changed but the bezel and the case finish which I talked about earlier.

I have all the nylon straps, dials, movements and UK 406 boxes standing by waiting for the cases to get finished up and then we can begin building. The bezel revision set us back a spell but we are still looking at worst an August delivery date. I hope you like what you see from the pictures and please keep in mind that these are prototype pictures and do not have the paint in the bezel numbers or the lume dot (I have to say it or someone would e-mail me about it :-d). The bottom pic is the Founders Pin that will come with each watc in the first run.

When I get the next proto put together, I 'll post up some pics of the final product here first. Thanks for all the supporting e-mails and PMs. Please keep them coming, I enjoy ALL the input.....constructive or otherwise!

R.E. Smith

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm going to throw the dissenting opinion in here: I loved the way it looked before, and now it looks like it's getting too chunky/thick. I was all set to order one when they came out, but now I'm having second thoughts. I'll wait to see how they look when actually in production, but now the proportions are starting to look wrong. Whereas I thought they looked good with a NATO, now I think it will look too thin. Just one man's opinion.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the point on the demensions. I haven't changed the thickness or any other demensions on the watch, just changed the thickness of the bezel "edge" and the grip.

The Patriot will ride a bit closer to the wrist than a normal watch due to the channels I cut into the middle case to accomodate the ZULU specificly (you can see it in the pictures). The caseback is also countersunk into the case to allow the watch to ride closer to the wrist and not smack around on things as wmuch. Also makes it easier to wear under a cuff when you have it o a nice strap.

I know some people like huge watches and watches that are very thick on the wrist. Whilst this watch will be thick and have a nice stance on the wrist, it may not be for everyone and that's OK. Just wait until you see the prototype on the wrist, you may really like what you see!

Thanks for your interest.

R.E.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I am very interested in this design. I look forward to seeing the end product. Very tempted to pull the trigger on this one!!:-!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Very tempting for sure. I am looking forward to more pictures.

How about a discount to WUS DWF members to help kick off the first model? :-d

Best of Luck

·
Registered
568 Posts
Although at first reaction I would agree with you,

I'm going to throw the dissenting opinion in here: I loved the way it looked before, and now it looks like it's getting too chunky/thick. I was all set to order one when they came out, but now I'm having second thoughts. I'll wait to see how they look when actually in production, but now the proportions are starting to look wrong. Whereas I thought they looked good with a NATO, now I think it will look too thin. Just one man's opinion.
I will trust Mr. Smith's judgement & the feedback from his "testers", who I am sure put the watch through much worse than most of us will ever do. Form is important, but function is more important in a tool watch. Cheers,

Rafael T

1 - 16 of 16 Posts