Votes: 19 59.4%
  • DW-5500MR-4JF

Votes: 13 40.6%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are unfortunately 2 new pieces that are calling out to me (good one Starscream!) and they are both from the Rescue Orange Series and...
SQUARE!

GW-M5610MR-4JF or DW-D5500MR-4JF?

As seen in this thread.
https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/g-shock-baby-g-pro-trek-releases-sep-dec-2014-a-1081194.html

I have vowed to only collect solar G's and have been in the hunt for a while for a lower priced orange rescue (no to exy orange aviator or kings) to continue to build my "1 watch of each colour variety" collection (except for black and white). I can only buy one orange one.

My dilemma is that the one I really want is a 5500 series as I already have a GW-5000, GW-M5610 (rising red) and G-5600CC (green).
I want a different design but with solar and the GW-5510 series are just black.

I only want solar but am very drawn to the DW-D5500MR-4JF with CR2025 10-year battery.
This battery will likely be more than 10 years right?
Or do Casio usually release a solar version sooner rather than later?

Otherwise just go with the solar GW-M5610MR-4JF?

What's your take?
Thanks for your help.

Cheers!

Reactions: starscream

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I dont think you should worry about the battery life. If it has an expected lifespan of 10 years then you shouldn't have any problems getting at least 5 out of it. Then battery change isnt hard at all. Whats not so good about solar is that if you are anal and always want them topped off it isnt very good for the resin to bake them in the sun. Anyway, i think you will enjoy the 5500 despite of its lack of solar power.

·
Banned
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Raze. How is the fit on the 5500 compared to the 5600? What about button operation? I find the 5600 series needs nails to push effectively. Not easy at all. But I still love em!

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
They are both extremely comfortable I like the shape and feel on both of them. When it comes to button operation I would say the 5500 is easier cause of the bigger pushers.

shots on my 6.5 inch wrist

·
Banned
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 5500's look so good on a wrist. I want to expand my styles and the 5500 orange gets my vote. But then... may feel left out from his sun-soaking brothers. 10 year battery life ain't nothing to sneeze at either. hmmm...

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
get the 5500 man, i used to pick solar-only too, but not anymore after my 2310 failed, and another 5610 stays at M all the time LOLz

·
Banned
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool thanks G-fob just what I needed to get me over the edge. How long have you had your 5500?

·
Banned
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I actually just saw that on the Casio site right before I saw your post. I'm putting in a preorder for the 5500 now on Rakuten. $122 AUD shipping included, which is mad cheap for a jap domestic model, let alone an uncommon one and brand new product. Might as well buy 5-8 of these for the price of one orange gx56 king. Can't go wrong!

Reactions: starscream

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
The 5500 it is for me!:-! Do you really hate all solars? Is'nt the orange King a fave in your collection?:-d
Yeah bro, Orange King in my Top 3 of all my G's for sure.. But charging them has been bugging me a lot recently. Not picked up any solars this year. I liked that kermit 8900 but had to pass on it. I wish they would stick a 10yr CR2032 batt in everything and do away with solar.

·
Premium Member
14,244 Posts
Be prepared.

I was shocked at how hard the pushers are on the 5500. The resin button covers have to be pushed directly straight down on to the button pins under the resin covers. I personally find the buttons as hard to push as my G-9000.

I bought the DW-D5500 from Japan a few months ago.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
True, buttons on 5500 aren't the easiest to press. If you want to scroll through the world time mode, be prepared to some finger pain :)

But 5500 looks so good, button pressing isn't important |> Orange is a must buy

·
Banned
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers Rocat and Crater for your advice. I'll just leave it on time mode and auto el. She'll be right!

Reactions: Crater

·
Banned
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got an update from rakuten seller quelleheure. Release of 5500 is October 10 and well post on the 11th! Awesome!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tempted to check Macy's tomorrow or just order from rakuten ...I must has the 5500! :-d

·
Banned
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tempted to check Macy's tomorrow or just order from rakuten ...I must has the 5500! :-d

Isn't the 5500 series jap domestic release only?

Got an update from the Rakuten seller and it has been shipped! Cant wait to rock it in this Australian summer heat! 😁

Reactions: Chrisek

·
Banned
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reactions: Chrisek
1 - 20 of 35 Posts