WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In protect to censorship + repeated unjust decisions by moderator. Specifically, his decisions to ban interesting discussions instead of toxic forum members.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
There are a vast array of opinions about what constitutes "censorship." Closing a topic/thread is often safer than banning an established user. After 27 years of Internet usage I've learned that you need to have a thick skin and keep your wits about you. Much like the real world. In short - don't let a single disagreer (or a few) stop you from enjoying your hobbies.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
There are a vast array of opinions about what constitutes "censorship." Closing a topic/thread is often safer than banning an established user. After 27 years of Internet usage I've learned that you need to have a thick skin and keep your wits about you. Much like the real world. In short - don't let a single disagreer (or a few) stop you from enjoying your hobbies.
agree on the thick skin comment, but if the established user repeatedly insults everyone else in the thread then it becomes a bit annoying. I'm against banning anyone specifically for a few insults, but warning someone who is obviously out of line seems appropriate as well.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
In protect to censorship + repeated unjust decisions by moderator. Specifically, his decisions to ban interesting discussions instead of toxic forum members.
I get frustration and understand and respect protest as a vehicle for change. But, I tend to believe that the only way to influence things and bring about change is to work within the system. I guess I'm saying a boycott or protest isn't as rewarding as working with folks to see the changes through.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
agree on the thick skin comment, but if the established user repeatedly insults everyone else in the thread then it becomes a bit annoying. I'm against banning anyone specifically for a few insults, but warning someone who is obviously out of line seems appropriate as well.
It is totally appropriate to tell people that their behavior isn't welcome or inline with community standards, and to remove them if they continue. We do this in public, people get kicked out of clubs or sports games for antisocial behavior. It's not censorship, it's preserving the quality of the experience for everyone else. We don't owe the jerks anything, especially in a public forum.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Stick around and ignore the trouble makers ! Toxic ? Dunno, abrasive and incapable of interacting "normally" in a public forum, that's for sure ! Be happy you don't have to deal with him in real life ;-)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Stick around and ignore the trouble makers ! Toxic ? Dunno, abrasive and incapable of interacting "normally" in a public forum, that's for sure ! Be happy you don't have to deal with him in real life ;-)
The members you'd rather avoid, can be added to your ignore list. Those messages are then filtered out.

ignore_list.png

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
The members you'd rather avoid, can be added to your ignore list. Those messages are then filtered out.

View attachment 14496345
Unfortunately this approach doesn't address the underlying problem either. If all the active and current members take this approach than the new contributors are the ones subjected to this behavior. Like I said I don't think resigning from something you have interest in is a great option either, but at least its a means to highlight a problem in non-confrontational manner.

Personally I think it's never wise to ignore a problem it just gets worse. If you ignore it, you're by default part of the problem not the solution.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
If my internet sleuthing abilities are correct our panties are all balled up over a few seconds a day? Really? Wait til I show you a video of a glacier melting, then you'll really worry.

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
I don't know any of the specifics of this case and honestly don't care. Internet forums occasionally have problems of sufficient severity as to require moderation. It's relatively rare, especially on WUS HAQ :-! But it always happens.

Individual moderators have individual styles but, at least on WUS, they are aimed at creating a pleasant or at least non-obnoxious environment for mutual enjoyment of the hobby/obsession/curiosity -- we're all different and we're all the same! What a moderator does to encourage this varies a great deal. But experience has shown moderators are usually more successful it the are not 'heavy handed'. In public at least, they usually try to minimize what they do to correct the situation(s).

Most members don't realize it but moderators have their own forum where they can discuss, laugh, suggest, and vent when they have to, keeping this away from members for the good of all.

Anytime a moderator has to intervene, almost always someone is made more unhappy. It is the nature of the act. Moderating is a pain sometimes. (Ronald, having fun yet?? LOL [background: he took over from me a number of years ago ;-) ])

The more things change, the more they stay the same.... LOL

Enjoy the forum. This is the only place on the entire Internet where much of our discussion could even take place. That's darn rare. ...

Reactions: Tikim and gaijin

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Most members don't realize it but moderators have their own forum where they can discuss, laugh, suggest, and vent when they have to, keeping this away from members for the good of all.

Those forum software designers thought of everything!
A channel for the moderators to bad-mouth the users.:)

I am in two minds about forums now.
The depth and obscurity of knowledge is fantastic off course. You just can't get that anywhere else.
But the speed and longevity of garbage that resides on forums is very frustrating.

We're here in the depths of a measles outbreak. Will that make for more accountable posting?

The official advice is for the scientists to keep debunking bad science. Stay polite and eternally patient and do your merry dance again.

I now very much admire my old school teachers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts